MartinJohn
Vishrut

Why should people believe in region?

Vishrut

MartinJohn

Pro

Something that I have been interested in learning more about has been religion. I remember my uncle discussing about the importance of a person being faithful to his religion, and at that time I really didn"t argue or discuss with him about religion so I just dropped the topic. Lately, the issue has caught more eye again. I know that many people feel that religion is just not important is just something that you are raised and born into believing. From what I have heard, religion has caused many problems between countries and people. For example, I heard that the crusades during time of the Roman Empire was mainly caused by religion.

One thing that I know for sure about religion is that there are many types of religions all over the world. Now, I"ve studied my fair share of religion and I believe religion has its goods and its bads. The reason why I say this is because religion may bring a person from a sad mood to a happy mood it may also change a person"s life from worse to good, but may also be bad because of the controversies between different religions, and whose religion"s history is valid. Personally, it"s funny to me how people could criticize other religions" validness while they don"t know if for sure their religion"s history is truly valid.

Religion was not very important to me in the past because I thought religion is just believing in a God and believing that my God is the Saviour of the world.
Vishrut

Con

Religions are very strange. Throughout many millennia, people have believed in immaterial pantheons of Gods and other equally immaterial entities, in the reality of an immaterial soul, that continues to live after the death of the body in an immaterial world inhabited by all manner of immaterial beings and the countless souls of the dead. The Christian Bible and the Islamic Koran tell us that the behaviour of people on this physical world determines the fate of their immaterial souls during the eternity their souls will exist after death. People not only believe in these things, but believe in them so intensely, that many are even willing to die for their belief in these things. Yet when you look at these beliefs rationally, you come to a number of very definite conclusions.
MartinJohn

Pro

It is more than obvious, that people who identify as religious, are (consciously) ignorant of certain facts of reality. They avoid scientific evidence and when it is in front of them they explain it away in the most pathetic fashion. It seems they care so much about their delusion that they actually fight to defend it. Why?
Almost every debate with an atheist and a theist ends in the fake conclusion that it "is a matter of faith". This is ********. Something is either true or not true. The chances of a God existing are so small, that it seems a waste of time to even consider the possibility. It would seem like something a second-grade philosopher would one day write his only book on. It's a waste of time and resources, quite frankly. But somehow religion took over almost all of the world, abusing our weakness as a species.
Now, if religion had no negative effects, apart from taking up some time and resources, I would have no problem with it. But this is not the case. Religion makes people feel better than they really are, it makes them feel right, healthy and safe. It is a placebo where it is by far not always needed; and it is an addictive one, with side effects. Religions are not equally bad, some are worse than others. The worst ones are, ironically, the most popular ones. But I don't think I need to sum up the negatives to you all.
My question is, why do people believe in religion? While it is absolute nonsense, is rather unfortunate and affects other people. My answer to the question is this:
People believe in religious superstition, because it makes them feel better about themselves, it enables them to blame other(s) for bad things that happen ("others", like evil) and it superficially redeems them from death. It gives great comfort and is quite a handy tool, in either on other people or for social reasons. Some even make quite a lot of money out of selling empty promises.

__________________
Vishrut

Con

Vishrut forfeited this round.
MartinJohn

Pro

MartinJohn forfeited this round.
Vishrut

Con

Vishrut forfeited this round.
MartinJohn

Pro

MartinJohn forfeited this round.
Vishrut

Con

Vishrut forfeited this round.
MartinJohn

Pro

MartinJohn forfeited this round.
Vishrut

Con

Vishrut forfeited this round.
Posted by RoyLatham 3 years ago
RoyLatham
Belief in a religion does not necessarily imply belief in a god. Buddhism and Jainism are prominent exceptions to theism.

One of the reasons for joining a religion is to join the religious community. The community provides a mechanism for support and association. It also provides a set of standard practices regarding important life events such births, marriage, funerals, and yearly festivals. It provides a standard set of moral guidelines. The community aspects of religion are shown in Japan, where over 90% population is a member of a religion, mainly Buddhist or Shinto, but 70% of the population is atheist. In the West, there is a population of Jews who practice the traditions, but do not believe in God.

A second reason is that religion provides answers to questions that are difficult or unanswerable, things like "What happens after death?" and "Why and how was the world created?" People innately want theories about everything, and religious answers are more satisfactory to most people than having no answers.

In modern times, radical political ideologies are often chosen as a substitute for religion, providing both a support community and a standard set of answers.
Posted by johnlubba 3 years ago
johnlubba
I wouldn't calling it making fun as such, I pointed out the way people might interpret the resolution. I also did this before an opponent accepted the debate, so he had an opportunity to change it. If I had ignored it completly that would have been worse. I'm sorry my care and attention was not wrapped up in cotton wool and a pretty little bow.
Posted by wiploc 3 years ago
wiploc
This is a new member of DDO. Don't make fun of his spelling. Instead, do your best to make him feel welcome.
Posted by johnlubba 3 years ago
johnlubba
Why should people believe in region?

In geography, regions are areas broadly divided by physical characteristics (physical geography), human-impact characteristics (human geography), and the interaction of humanity and the environment (environmental geography). Geographic regions and subregions are mostly described by their imprecisely defined, and sometimes transitory boundaries, except in human geography, where jurisdiction areas such as national borders are clearly defined in law.

Posted by drthrax 3 years ago
drthrax
what is your position in this debate,is this a debatable topic ?
Posted by Oromagi 3 years ago
Oromagi
Because without regions people would have fewer ways of referring to geographic spaces defined by commonalities.
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Take it to the forums...
Posted by 2-D 3 years ago
2-D
You may consider arguing that religion is not necessary to live a quality life. I recently set up a similar case and I think it is a strong position. At the very least you will find someone that will explain why they are convinced that religion is important and helpful.
Posted by RoyLatham 3 years ago
RoyLatham
I agree with wiploc. This isn't a debate.
Posted by wiploc 3 years ago
wiploc
You don't have a resolution, a debate topic. It seems like you want discussion rather than debate.

I recommend that you cancel this debate, and click on Forums at the top of the screen, then scroll down and click on the Religion forum, and then click on New Topic. A forum thread on this topic may be fun and interesting.

In the alternative, if you really do want a debate, you should pick a topic and take a side. "Resolved: Religion is bad," or "Resolved: My uncle thought religion was important." Edit your post so that the debate has a clear topic.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 3 years ago
RoyLatham
MartinJohnVishrutTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro has the burden of proof, and also the responsibility to provide a well-formed resolution to debate. Pro did not provide any resolution, so he could not possibly meet the burden of proof. This was a chat that should have been in the forums. Once accepting Con was obliged to continue, so Con loses conduct for the forfeit.
Vote Placed by airmax1227 3 years ago
airmax1227
MartinJohnVishrutTied
Reasons for voting decision: Not really sure who won this debate, or if there was even a debate to win... But I guess Pro FF'd fewer rounds, so conduct to pro.