potato
aisulu94

Why should there be a death penalty?

aisulu94

potato

Pro

I am going to debate about why there should be death penalty. Personally I am pro for this topic.
The main reasons why I believe in death penalty is because-
No one who ever received the death penalty ever killed or committed a capital crime again.Life without parole, or any other sentence, is known to be less effective in protecting future victims than the Death penalty.
Another important reason is the high costs of keeping prison inmates . On average it costs about $10,000-$20,000 on keeping a single prison inmate per year, this in turn, puts a burden on the finances of the government.
It is also a good method to keep people in check. As death penalty teaches people to not mess with the law. :)
aisulu94

Con

Unlike my fellow opponent, my stand on this topic is Con. By the end of this debate I would hope to change my opponent's dreadful opinion.
The reason why I am against death penalty is mainly because of the following reasons:
It isn"t effective in reducing crime, prolongs the anguish of families of murder victims, costs a whole lot more than life in prison, and, worst of all, risks executions of innocent people.
Study after study has found that the death penalty is much more expensive than life in prison. The high costs of the death penalty are for the complicated legal process, with the largest costs at the pre-trial and trial stages. The point is to avoid executing innocent people. The tremendous expenses in a death penalty case apply whether or not the defendant is convicted, let alone sentenced to death.
The death penalty doesn't keep us safer. Homicide rates for states that use the death penalty are consistently higher than for those that don"t. The most recent FBI data confirms this. For people who lack a conscience, fear of being caught is the best deterrent.
Contrary to popular belief, the death penalty isn't reserved for the worst crimes, but for defendants with the worst lawyers. It doesn't apply to people with money. Practically everyone sentenced to death had to rely on an overworked public defender. How many people with money have been executed??
It comes down to whether we should keep a system for the sake of retribution or revenge even though it isn"t effective in reducing violent crime, costs much more than alternatives and, worst of all, can lead to the nightmare of executing someone for a crime he/she didn"t commit.
potato

Pro

Well firstly I would like to correct your mistake about death penalty costs- even though it may add up in the the pre-trial and trial stages it is still cheaper than maintaining the inmates for long periods of time. Inmates use up tax money which could be used to curb the government's many financial problems, this money could also be put on education,charity, and infrastructure development.
aisulu94

Con

Prisoners all over the world participate in employment or industry training.

Prisoners who undertake employment and training do so on a voluntary basis and are generally enthusiastic about being provided with the opportunity and responsibility of learning new skills.

Prisoners are trained in a number of industries including farming, nurseries, organics, forestry, timber processing, furniture making, textiles, catering, engineering, concrete product manufacturing, printing and laundries. Training occurs through a variety of methods including business-like industries, industry training, work parties and unit-based activities within the prison (see descriptions below). In most employment activities, prisoners are trained by qualified instructors.
Thus, contrary to the popular opinion , prisoners contribute quiet a great deal to their respective governments and should not be seen as a burden.
potato

Pro

Well first of all, I am glad to hear that inmates are being put to use, but this still doesn't change my opinion on the current matter. Second of all, I strongly believe in making our society as safe as possible from any predators of any kind. I know my opinions may seem harsh and outdated but if this is what it takes to make our society a safe place, then so be it.
aisulu94

Con

Well I guess everyone is entitled to his/hers personal opinion. May the best one win :)
Vote Placed by wiploc 4 years ago
wiploc
potatoaisulu94Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro immediately dropped most of his lines of argument, choosing to defend only the cost-of-execution-is-less-than-the-cost-of-incarceration argument, which, as Con pointed out, is patently wrong.
Vote Placed by bencbartlett 4 years ago
bencbartlett
potatoaisulu94Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I'm giving Con arguments simply because he gave slightly more evidence to support his side with the trial process fees. This really wasn't a very well-developed debate though - I would go look at some of the debates by 99th percentile debaters and see how they carry them out - it'd help you out a lot!