annakimma
selena16

Why smoking is not so bad

selena16

annakimma

Pro

Smoking is not bad enough to cause people to riot, get angry, and cause a big fuss. It is not because I smoke, because I don't, but because if someone wants to smoke it's not your business (unless its in your household and you're against it) smoking does not cause the body to break down like the commercials portray it unless you smoke a whole bunch of cigarettes a day, but not many people smoke that much so why get so roused about it?
selena16

Con

Yes smoking is bad, I have tried it once. But also with the rate of smoking, it is beginning to cause more and more people to be born with asthma and other heart or lung defects. Smoking is the leading cause of preventable death in the U.S., causing over 438,000 deaths per year. How could people smoke knowing that they are causing their own deaths and possibly causing others their own death, do they think of their families and how they would feel if they were to die. Every time you take a puff it is slowly poisoning your body by taking the very oxygen that we breath and adding deadly chemicals to it. These are what are in the cigarettes, Arsenic, lead, tar"" these are just few of more than 7,000 chemicals in tobacco smoke. I know what it is like to be feel so stressed out and helpless, but I know not to go to smoking to relieve myself. people go broke half the time from buying some smokes and it is not good because some of them have kids that they can't take care of or refuse to because they are so addicted to smoking. Some kids learn from it or they become what their parents were.

http://www.lung.org...
annakimma

Pro

Well true it is bad for your health, but if you choose not to smoke you don't have to worry about it and if you don't want to be around those who smoke, you don't have to hang with them, true people die from smoking, but it was their choice to smoke in the first place. that's why smoking is not so bad because it all has to do with choice (except for those whose parents smoke and they don't have a choice).
selena16

Con

Most of the time smoking can lead to aggression, which isn't always good and when your friends smoke you can feel pressure to smoke.
annakimma

Pro

True, it can lead to aggression, peer pressure, and death but, like I said smoking has to do mostly with choice. If your friends smoke and you feel pressured it is your choice to tell them "hey I don't want a cigarette quit asking" or "yeah sure let me try" it is all choice. If you feel that pressured around your friends it is your choice to find a different posse, or stick with those kids who keep trying to pressure you into smoking. this is why smoking is not as bad as people say because, whether you like it or not, whether you want to do it or not, is your choice-it is not really forced on you.
selena16

Con

But, my main question is why do people go to something for relief if it kills them rather than saves them, problems are temporarily but death is forever. How can anyone smoke knowing all of the possibilities and what it does to you and think of the families who have lost their loved ones because they chose to smoke. Why would they chose to smoke, what kind of life is it to chose how you might die.
annakimma

Pro

if you look at it this way, you might understand better. What are cigarettes? They are little small sticks stuffed with addictive chemicals, so when they smoke they can't stop. Cigarettes are bad but smoking is not because not only do you have a choice to take one and kill yourself by lighting it, but you also can stop the chemicals from entering your body by not breathing it in. Have you ever heard the expression "the gun doesn't shoot, the shooter does"? its quit like that. It is you who is killing yourself by taking the cigarette, and after that its the cigarette that is killing you, but smoking itself is not that bad, because its you who inhaled it and not the cigarette that decided to poison your lungs.
selena16

Con

Why do they choose to start smoking knowing what they have in it either way you look at it you have Decided to let cigarettes destroy you.
annakimma

Pro

Sometimes they choose to smoke because they don't care, or because they want too fit in, or because they just like the taste, some people think that if they stay fit they won't get lung cancer. But what ever it is they its still their decision, its sad what the outcome is but that is just the way the world works.
selena16

Con

But how could they let it have so much control if they feel so much pressure they need different friends, why don't they choose that instead of punishing others.
Posted by selena16 1 year ago
selena16
ok
Posted by annakimma 1 year ago
annakimma
Well, please message me and tell me your story, I'd like to know if you dont mind (:
Posted by selena16 1 year ago
selena16
What do think happened to me and that isn't even half of it.
Posted by annakimma 1 year ago
annakimma
Your welcome, Its really sad that kids have to go through what they do and it makes me feel bad sometimes to have the good things when the person next to me could be getting abused, or be depressed about the misfortunes in their life.
Posted by selena16 1 year ago
selena16
Thanks, I kinda have a pretty bad past.
Posted by annakimma 1 year ago
annakimma
That Makes sense. Usually people who have a deeper experience have more wisdom. I respect you for that.
Posted by selena16 1 year ago
selena16
I only know so much because that is the way it was for me, I can't even smoke or i would have an asthma attack.
Posted by selena16 1 year ago
selena16
I might just friend you, because you are nice.
Posted by annakimma 1 year ago
annakimma
your welcome (:
Posted by selena16 1 year ago
selena16
Thanks, I just have a horrible conscience.
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
annakimmaselena16Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con cited a source; Pro did not.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 1 year ago
Blade-of-Truth
annakimmaselena16Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Tie. Both had proper conduct throughout the debate. S&G - Tie. Both had adequate spelling and grammar throughout the debate. Arguments - Pro. Pro's entire case basically relied on the fact that smoking is a choice, and there are ways to avoid second-hand smoke, thus smoking isn't so bad since it's the person making the choice rather than being forced to do so. Con's approach never overcame this point from Pro. Instead, Con relied on the fact that smoking causes death - but Pro already covered this by pointing to the fact that it's a choice. Since Con never really tackled that argument specifically, Pro was essentially left standing unchallenged. Due to this, Pro upheld their BOP and thus wins the arguments. Sources - Con. Pro failed to utilize any sources in this debate, whereas Con utilized a source that expanded on the harms of cigarettes.