jhate12345
m93samman

Why the steelers are the if not the best one of the best teams in the NFL today

Started: 2/1/2011 Category: Sports

jhate12345

Pro

I will start this debate by saying the Pittsburgh steelers are if not the best one of the best NFL teams ever care to reply?
m93samman

Con

I thank my opponent for beginning this argument.

As Pro, my opponent believes the Steelers are the best team in the NFL. My position as Con is that the statement Pro is defending is false.

I look forward to an interesting debate, and will pass on this round so we both have an equal number of rounds to debate with.

Good luck.
jhate12345

Pro

thank you i will start by saying that the reason i believe the Pittsburgh Steelers are possibly the best NFL team ever if not the best, mainly because look at everything Pittsburgh has covered6 super bowl wins and this year they might move on to there next win. The steelers havent had any NFL records not sayin they are not good enough im saying they can play with rushing offense and passing and not have to set records and still win super bowls and games. The steelers have had some of the nfl best defense ever. Pittsburgh yea had some rough years but they still showed they are on top and are one of the best teams.
m93samman

Con

I thank my opponent for his response.

I believe the best way to analyze the resolution is numerically; typically, the best team is also the best team on paper.

We look here [http://www.nfl.com...] and find that the Steelers are not exactly the best team. The Atlanta Falcons and New England Patriots both had better records; furthermore, the Baltimore Ravens (from the same division) had the same record as the Steelers. So, in terms of W/L ratio, the Steelers merely tied for third this year.

Then, we zoom in on the Steelers [http://www.nfl.com...]. What we find is that their points, yards, pass yards and rush yards (all per game) are ranked 12th, 14th, 14th and 11th, respectively. Not a single statistic in the top ten. I'd argue that that removes them from contention for "best team".

I believe that this is enough so far, as my opponent really has not given me anything substantial to refute. Aside from them having several super bowl wins (which means nothing; lucky draws in the playoffs do a lot and, this year in particular, they're facing a 6th seeded wild card in the superbowl), nothing has really been proven by the Pro side.

I'll turn the debate back over to Con for now.
jhate12345

Pro

First everything you said goes towards the fact they are the best. You said they were tied with teams this year and didn't have the best record. Thats the thing the steelers can have the worst record or lowest record and go in and win the play off to superbowl. The steelers line sucks but there offense still scores. The steelers have the 2nd best defense in the nfl. They don't rely on luck. How many teams go to 7 super bowls and win 6 six. Your not supporting much against the steelers. They dont have to have the best record to win to steelers are the best.
m93samman

Con

Clearly, we are currently lacking a standard with which to judge if a team is "the best". Online Dictionary reference defines "best" to be:

"of the highest quality, excellence, or standing"

http://dictionary.reference.com...

It is my position that to be of THE highest quality, excellence, or standing implies consistency. Let's look again at the Pittsburgh Steelers.

First, we see that the resolution if the Steelers ARE the best team or not. The definition of "are" [http://dictionary.reference.com...] implies the present tense. For this reason, if the Steelers won multiple past superbowls, the resolution is not in any way affected in terms of the Pro side of the resolution. Now, in the present tense (or, in the NFL context, the 2010-2011 season)...

Throughout the season, they were not *consistently* the best.

Throughout the season, the Steelers did NOT lead the league in any category.

Throughout the season, the Steelers did NOT lead the AFC.

Throughout the season, the Steelers did NOT statistically prove their dominance.

~

This debate has become rather frustrating. My opponent has not provided a single falsifiable argument that can be debated, while he is refuting my arguments by applying an impact-turn to my entire case without any rational justification.

I hope my opponent will actually begin to debate in the next round.
jhate12345

Pro

honestly i have been debating ive told you why i think they are if not the best one of the best which is also what you are not reading, i didnt just say best team, i said one of the best and your just saying they aren't the best which dosent mean they aren't one of the best. your basically saying since the patriots had a better record then steelers then the patriots were the best compared to the steelers. The thing is are the patriots going to the super bowl umm no, and u didnt mention the patriots im just saying its like saying since they had a better record they are better than the team thats going to the super bowl.
m93samman

Con

Please vote Con.
Posted by juvanya 6 years ago
juvanya
lolololol
Posted by JanaeJanay 6 years ago
JanaeJanay
i agree with Amethist17 because last time i chiecked the Steelers were not in the superbowl last year. It was the Saints and Colts sooo.... yah
Posted by Amethist17 6 years ago
Amethist17
really thats your resolution how can you have a debate on this it would be a mindless arguement
Posted by Danielle 6 years ago
Danielle
The resolution is too ambiguous. Of course nobody's going to take a debate that says "The Steelers are one of the best teams." Quite obviously they're one of the best teams -- they're going to the Superbowl. You should change the resolution to "The Steelers are the best team in the NFL today" if you want someone to take it more seriously.
Vote Placed by knucklepuk 6 years ago
knucklepuk
jhate12345m93sammanTied
Vote Placed by nhq 6 years ago
nhq
jhate12345m93sammanTied
Vote Placed by InvincibleMoos 6 years ago
InvincibleMoos
jhate12345m93sammanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had no idea what he was actually debating...
Vote Placed by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
jhate12345m93sammanTied
Reasons for voting decision: I'm sorry, but spelling/grammar was absolutely ridiculous.
Vote Placed by Loserboi 6 years ago
Loserboi
jhate12345m93sammanTied
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
jhate12345m93sammanTied
Reasons for voting decision: No actual debate from Pro, simply assertions.