Adriel
GaryBacon

Why you shouldn't like spiders

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

Adriel

Pro

Mary Howlit once wrote, "Will you walk into my parlour? Said a spider to a fly; Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever did you spy." Spiders are evil wicked slaughterers, butchers, executioners! They were born to hunt and kill. They don't have sympathy or compassion, no, they just want to suffocate you in their web and suck your blood. Then they just leave you till you drop from the clutches of their web. I know this because this almost became my fate in the year of 2004.
It was a ravishingly beautiful summer day and I was a wee little girl, at the innocent age of eight. I had spent my morning playing stuffed animals with my four year old little sister. Playing princess was our favorite game. We had recently got a puppy; he was a Standard Poodle, a magnificent creature. We named him Chubaka and called him Chewy for short, because he had brown curly hair.
"Mommy! I am going outside to play with Chewy!" I shouted across the house, as I skipped to the back door.
I started to tickle my puppy, not knowing that approaching the door would turn out to be one of the most horrifying moments of my life. Remembering the moment seems like I was frolicking towards that door for years. I reached for the old creaky door knob and started to turn it.

Chewy's excitement was so immense that he was pouncing and dancing around me, so I let go of the door knob to pet him. I stood back up and brushed the dog hair off of my yellow sun dress and fixed my braids, I reached for the knob again. I cracked the door open and Chewy pushed his way out the door into the dog yard. Then it happened.

"Adriel! there's a sp.." my little sister screamed,
But it was too late, the enormous spider had launched itself at me ready to suck my blood, I'm sure! It ran all over my favorite sun dress, I screamed bloody murder, sure this was the last moment of my life! I shook my dress and screamed but it didn't want to let go! Renae, my little sister, came running to my rescue, she started karate chopping my dress when finally the spider plummeted to ground!

I ran as fast as I could, sure that it was hunting me down like an assassin. Then all of a sudden my knight in shining armor came to my rescue! Chewy thrust his face to the ground, and ate that evil murderer. It crunched in his mouth, and I ran to my brave puppy and threw my arms around him. I was alive because of my Chewy.

I was almost killed by one of these spiders seven years ago, and that is why I am trying to protect you spider lovers from being another victim. "The spider's touch, how exquisitely fine! Feels at each thread, and lives along the line." (Alexander Pope) What is wrong with this Alexander person? Unless he is looking to be killed, he should hate those wicked spiders, I can tell you this, they sure don't like him, the only reason they want to be touching him is to suck his blood! Spiders are sinful, corrupt creatures. One almost killed me if it wasn't for my puppy. I'll have you know. So don't love or adore these evil things, no matter how much they pretend to love you, they are all only out to kill you and suffocate you up in their threaded sticky web.

Quotes from: http://www.dumb.com...
GaryBacon

Con

You claim: "Spiders are evil wicked slaughterers, butchers, executioners! They were born to hunt and kill. They don't have sympathy or compassion, no, they just want to suffocate you in their web and suck your blood. Then they just leave you till you drop from the clutches of their web."

In truth, spiders are extremely beneficial. They play a vital role in the ecosystem, serving to both keep insect populations under control and serving as a food source for birds and other animals.

Some of these benefits directly affect humans. For example, they are an extreme help to farmers. Grasshoppers and locusts destroy crops, but there are spiders that feed on these species. This keeps the grasshopper and locust populations in check, and consequently preserves the farmers' crops.

In regions where various diseases are spread by mosquitoes, spiders once again come to the rescue. Many mosquitoes are caught in the spider's web and eaten, which helps to reduce the amount of mosquito-related diseases.

A short list of diseases carried by mosquitoes:
Malaria, Dengue Fever, Yellow Fever, Elephantiasis, and various forms of Encephalitis.

According to the World Health Organization, mosquitoes carry organisms that cause disease and death in millions of people each year. And who is the one that eats these mosquitoes? Who helps eliminate this culprit, stopping the spread of disease? Our friend, the spider.

Spiders are remarkable creatures. Spiders have various silk glands (there are seven known types). As the silk glands secrete the liquid silk composed of protein, the spinnerets (short, fingerlike organs) spin the silk that the spider then stretches into threads. Another form of silk is then used to coat the thread and keep it sticky. And due to its molecular structure, spider silk is the strongest natural fiber known. Unlike our hair, which forms into an alpha helix, spider silk forms into a beta pleated sheet. It is an extremely strong structure, and the bonds holding it in place are not dissolved in water, unlike our hair.

That's an experiment you can try at home. After a shower, try to find a loose hair. You will notice that you can stretch it slightly, a bit like a rubber band, while it is wet. Try the same thing with silk, and it simply won't stretch.

To me, the ability to weave the world's strongest natural fiber is pretty damn cool. And knowing the science behind it does not take away any of the awe. So the spinning of silk is another reason why you SHOULD like spiders.

Getting back to your story, you state various exaggerations such as: "I screamed bloody murder, sure this was the last moment of my life!", "I was alive because of my Chewy", and "I was almost killed by one of these spiders seven years ago."

However, you never state what type of spider this was. I find it highly unlikely that you encountered a funnel-web spider, mouse spider, or Brazilian wandering spider. Other so-called "deadly" species are not actually deadly to humans. Symptoms from a brown recluse or black widow would be nausea, fever, and vomiting. Not death.

Based on the fact that the type of spider was not mentioned, I am inclined to believe that you did not encounter one of the deadliest spiders in the world. Rather, you probably encountered a much more common species. But your young age at the time meant that this encounter was traumatic for you. Traumatic events at a young age create phobias. So it is understandable that you now have arachnophobia.

But you must understand something. Just because you had a bad experience as a child that resulted in a phobia, this does not mean that spiders are actually evil. There are countless different phobias in this world. But the object of a person's phobia is not an evil entity. A phobia is a psychological problem that the person with the phobia must overcome. You may have a problem with spiders, but spiders don't have a problem with you. It is up to you to seek help in curing your phobia. A good first step would be to admit that you most certainly did not "almost die" from a common spider.

For its outstanding abilities to construct a web, its vital role in the ecosystem, its help in protecting crops, and its aid in preventing diseases, I say the spider is a creature that should be respected and admired. In short, there are many reasons why people SHOULD like spiders.
Posted by GaryBacon 6 years ago
GaryBacon
Thanks Adriel. Very good story writing. If you're ever required to publish something on the web again, you could always simply do it in a blog.

Although, if you tried to use your writing skills to develop points and ideas, perhaps you could become a force on this site. You just need to make more of a case for your arguments, and give yourself a chance to counter your opponents.
Posted by Adriel 6 years ago
Adriel
GaryBacon, thank you for your time and your outstanding debate :)
Posted by GaryBacon 6 years ago
GaryBacon
When I read it, I figured you were an aspiring writer. Since I have a degree in zoology, I feel obliged to defend the spider. If you ever consider posting another debate, you may want to extend it beyond one round. That way there is a little back and forth. Anyway, I commend your writing skills.
Posted by Adriel 6 years ago
Adriel
@GaryBacon, thank you for accepting my challenge, i wrote this story for me english class as a persuasive personal narrative (PPN) and was required to publish it somewhere. I wrote this paper to convince people not to like spiders. Thank you and i look forward to your debate :)
Vote Placed by iholland95 4 years ago
iholland95
AdrielGaryBaconTied
Reasons for voting decision: I think that spiders are very beneficial to our community. They catch flies, and they deserve to live just like humans do.
Vote Placed by 1Historygenius 6 years ago
1Historygenius
AdrielGaryBaconTied
Reasons for voting decision: A debate needs at least two rounds but I will give better spelling and grammar to pro just because he got a rebuttal and could never rebuttal it.
Vote Placed by Lickdafoot 6 years ago
Lickdafoot
AdrielGaryBaconTied
Reasons for voting decision: Interesting story by pro, but sounds like she just freaked out rather than the spider actually doing anything harmful. Con talked about spiders eating other insects and their web-spinning, which are stronger points.
Vote Placed by kkjnay 6 years ago
kkjnay
AdrielGaryBaconTied
Reasons for voting decision: Is this a debate?
Vote Placed by Nur-Ab-Sal 6 years ago
Nur-Ab-Sal
AdrielGaryBaconTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro used no solid evidence, Con made a great argument.
Vote Placed by Man-is-good 6 years ago
Man-is-good
AdrielGaryBaconTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's entire story seems fictional and was largely anecdotal, in contrast to Con's case about the benefits of spiders in ecosystems, their production of silk, and so on...
Vote Placed by seraine 6 years ago
seraine
AdrielGaryBaconTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro just had a story with everything exaggerated by a 7 year old mind. Though it may have scared her, that's all it did-scare her. When you compare this with the numerous benefits of spiders, spiders are obviously good.
Vote Placed by 000ike 6 years ago
000ike
AdrielGaryBaconTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro wrote a riveting creative story, but this is debate. She had no arguments whatsoever, no support, and no facts, just a flashback of her life. To make matters worse, this is a one round debate. Con could have forfeited this debate and still won.