aero36
socialpinko

Wii vs PS3

socialpinko
Started: 6/28/2012 Category: Technology

aero36

Pro

Round 1 = Acceptance
Round 2 = Argument
Round 3 = Rebuttal
Round 4 = Conclusion

I am taking the position that the Wii is better than the PS3, with my opponent to have the opposite view by arguing that the PS3 is superior to the Wii.
socialpinko

Con

I accept. Wii and PS3 don't need to be defined. Obviously we are both referring to the respective gaming consoles. What constitutes something being better or superior will not be objectively defined, however certain characteristics will naturally come into consideration i.e. gaming quality, popularity, innovation, etc.
aero36

Pro

Clearly the PS3 has more power under the hood than the Wii, that is a given, but power is not always that important. It is the gameplay that matters, and that was the purpose of the innovation inherent in the Wii's new control system using motion sensing. This is backed up by the Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess, where standard controls could no longer cut it on full console versions of the Zelda series, in which Sony conceded to this when they released the PlayStation Move a year and a half ago while maintaining a focus on core games instead of putting out a plethora of ‘casual' games on their market.

The PlayStation 3 released as the most reliable console, but after a year and a half we found out that all original PS3's were doomed to overheat as lead could not be used. This replacement lead is not strong enough to stay solid after long periods of time with the system heated up, as this machine requires a lot of energy and exudes a lot of energy. The Wii on the other hand came out almost flawlessly, with only minor errors in the manufacturing of the Sensory Bars, which only came down to a fraction of the Wii's released [3].

Comparing software exclusives, the primary force behind Sony and Nintendo's consoles, there is clearly quality on both sides, but the Wii exploded in sales from a tech demo: Wii Sports, a feat no console before has succeeded in. For 4-5 years this made the Wii the dominant console on the market, and it did not even suffer from Chronic Call of Duty Syndrome like the PS3 was unfortunately afflicted with. Instead we saw two 3D Mario games in Mario Galaxy 1&2, both with astounding reviews [1] [2]. Additionally the Wii received Donkey Kong Country Returns among numerous other great exclusives that emphasized fun and giving a great experience instead of trying to have the prettiest picture.
The PS3 wanted to be the powerful Almighty as stated by Ken Kutaragi by saying: "If you consider the PlayStation 3 a toy, then yes, it is an expensive toy. However, it is more than a toy. It is a PlayStation 3. And it is the only PlayStation 3. I hope that those who understand this will gladly purchase it," [4].

The Wii is a device to bring the family together in the living to compete in digital experiences without the humdrum exiting the home and having to find the appropriate places to enjoy the activities. These advances were not restricted to familial ties, titles such as Wii Sports brought the elderly too their feet, and made strides towards preventing them from falling [5].

Nintendo has never been known to take the profitable way out. Instead they take huge risks such as the Nintendo DS because they believe it is the premier way for people to enjoy video games, which like the Wii, ‘printed money.'

[1] http://www.metacritic.com...
[2] http://www.metacritic.com...
[3] http://www.squaretrade.com...
[4] http://www.gamesradar.com...
[5] http://articles.cnn.com...
socialpinko

Con

I would like to begin by thanking my opponent for the chance to debate this. It seems whenever I see a debate like this it's "360 vs. PS3" and since they're similar in most essential ways, they always bore me. The difference here is that the Wii and the PS3 could not be anymore different and sitll be considered in the same class of product. Therefore I think and hope that this debate will yield some interesting discussion. I must make a confession going into this debate though, I honestly personally know very little about any of this type of thing so I ask my opponent and readers to forgive me if I sound newbish. Now on to the debate, as per the setup by my opponent I will use this round only for arguments and will not present any rebuttals until R3.

Contention. Game quality between the consoles.

Games will most likely be the primary focus of this debate seeing as they are the primary purpose of GAME consoles. So one way to argue in favor of one console would be to show why it produces better quality games then the other. I will show that the PS3 beats Wii in game quality. The following statistics were taken from Metacritic[1]. In 2006, the Wii had the PS3 beat in game quality in every area except for the 80-89% rating group (there were four groups in all: 70-79, 80-89, 90-100, and 70-100). However, beginning in 2007, the PS3 began catching up, beating the Wii in all groups except for the 90-100 group and has been gaining a large lead ever since. Besides losing in the 70-79 group in '08 and '09. the PS3 has beat out the Wii in every group every year since 2007. In fact, in 2011, the PS3 at least doubled the Wii's score in all four groups. From 2005 to 2011, the PS3 also produced 548 games with a rank of 70 or better, compared to 308 by the Wii[1].

===
Of course, I don't want readers to think that by only providing a primary argument from game quality, that I am ignoring the other points my opponent brought up. On the contrary, in the next round I plan on showing that each point my opponent made applies either equally or more so to the PS3. But for now, I'll simply pass the debate back to my opponent.
===

===Sources===

[1] http://www.ps-analog.com...
aero36

Pro

Just do your best, this is only my second debate so I could probably use the same disclaimer of "Noob" as well.

Now en garde!

My opponent presents the critical statistics of the Wii from 2005 to 2011, but leaves out a crucial fact: As of Nov 25, 2011 the Wii has released 1220 games while the PS3 is only at 755 releases as of April 10, 2012. This was from the explosion in sales for the Wii that caused every publisher to start releasing games to try and penetrate that market.

My opponent shows biased reviews as one can see by Just Dance having a the low average score of 49 on Metacritic [1], yet this title sold massively and is at 6.76m units worldwide [2]. Only on the Nintendo Wii does a game sell at CoD levels and yet receive mediocre reviews, though if my opponent wishes me to believe in some sort of illicit actions by Activision to purchase reviews, I say: at least Nintendo did not have to buy reviews ZeldaTP 95 [3] Donkey KongCR 87 [4] Kirby's Epic Yarn 86 [5].

[1] http://www.metacritic.com...
[2] http://www.vgchartz.com...
[3] http://www.metacritic.com...
[4] http://www.metacritic.com...
[5] http://www.metacritic.com...
socialpinko

Con

===Refutation of Pro's Case===

My opponent has made three distinct points in favor of the Wii's superiority. I intend to show that either these claims apply equally well to the PS3 or that the PS3 actually surpasses the Wii in terms of the relevant contention.

(A) Innovation.

While it certainly cannot be denied that the Wii has provided sound innovation to the state of the current gaming industry, I would argue that the PS3 has also provided innovations which in many cases surpass the level of the Wii. Consider the 360. While it went with including a DVD player standard in its consoles, the PS3 went a few further and made a digital Blue-Ray player standard in all of their consoles. Sony in doing this became the first console ever to do so with the Wii still trying to catch up. Along with this, PS3 also includes 3-D capabilities (the first console to do so whereas Wii has no official plans to incorporate it)[2] and even a wireless media keyboard[3] to make Internet navigation through the console infinitely easier then through a Wii remote. Wii has provided some innovations to the market but the PS3 is still way in the lead in that regard.

(B) Reliability.

While it is generally acknowledged that the Wii is more reliable than the PS3, my opponent is not including the entire story here. Square Trade (an extended warranty service provider) did an extended study regarding the rates of malfunction between the three major consoles and analyzing the possible causes. While on first glance the Wii would appear to come out easily as the winner over the PS3 (with malfunction rates at 2.7% and 10% respectively), the gap becomes much less when time usage of the console is factored in. Both the 360 and the PS3 had higher usage per session, more sessions per month, and had more sessions per day. In fact, the biggest difference was that PS3 and 360 users used their console over twice the amount of minutes that Wii users did per month.

360 = 1191 minutes used per month
PS3 = 1053 ^
Wii = 516 ^

Once these figures are factored in, the Wii only comes out as marginally more reliable then the PS3 with the Wii's failure rate per 24 hours of use only making a difference of .26%. The problem with general analysis is that it usually only looks at the gross malfunction rates without looking at possible causes. When over-use is factored for, we see that the Wii and the PS3 are more or less the same in this regards. All statistics for this contention can be found here[4].

(C) Familial Enjoyment.

The contention of both familial enjoyment (and elderly enjoyment at that) can be applied equally to the PS3. While titles like Wii sports and Wii fit did a good amount to allow users to enjoy games in a more physical manner, the PS3 has their own share of such titles and software. PS3 released Play Station Move in 2009 to rave reviews by Game Informer [5], PC Magazine[6], and a plethora of other electronics reviews. PC Magazine even stated that the Play Station Move represented "a step above the Wii[6]. While my opponent's contention relies on the Wii being somehow alone in it's release of user interactive games and software, the Play Station Move clearly shows that this is not the case.

===Defense of the Con Case===

The crux of Pro's attempted refutation of my case lies in the faulty equivocation of quality with popularity, similar in structure the fallacy of argumentum ad populum. The reviews I posted were not in regards to how many games PS3 released, it was in regards to how well those games were reviewed by critics. This point in itself was never refuted or even addressed by my opponent. On his point that Wii released more games then PS3, I actually see this as a boost to the Con case. Even though Wii released more games then PS3, even this was not able to boost their number of quality games. The fact that PS3 got a higher number of good reviews for less games shows that a higher percentage of the games they released were rated well compared to the percentage of well rated games released by Wii.

On the charge that the reviews from Metacritic are somehow biased, my opponent bases the entire criticism on the fact that the critical ratings of games does not necessarily reflect the popularity of that game. But that's entirely the point! Something being popular doesn't mean it's good. If if did then Alvin and The Chipmunks: Chipwrecked should have been reviewed better than The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo since it made over thirty million more at the box office[7]. So clearly Alvin and The Chipmunks is more popular but does that make it qualitatively better? Of course not. And the fact that Just Dance was popular does not necessarily translate to positive reviews. On the charge that any positive reviews were bought, I sincerely ask for evidence.

===Sources===

[1] http://www.pcworld.com...
[2] http://us.playstation.com...
[3] http://www.logitech.com...
[4] http://www.squaretrade.com...
[5] http://www.gameinformer.com...
[6] http://www.pcmag.com...
[7] http://boxofficemojo.com...
aero36

Pro

I like to end on a simple note, but first one must keep in mind that your seeking an average time of play between a console that has sold 50 million units and one that has sold 90 million units, in which the average time will of course be lower. Additionally the Wii has a very strong family audience that would only use it in short bursts as a family gathering tool that could not be accessed at all times.

In which I end with the Wii having the best software, best innovation, and the least gimmick, especially in relation to the failure of 3D on consoles that Nintendo has known since the Virtual Boy (Note: Handheld's and console's are two separate concepts in this sentence) and the lunacy of mimicry. Even the failing concept (by games, not sales of the hardware itself) of the Kinect was at least original in the home console.

Once more I thank my opponent for taking up my debate, it was a great learning experience and a pleasure.
socialpinko

Con

===Pro Case===

(A) Innovation.

Instead of responding to my own refutations of his argument, my opponent has merely re-claimed his contention without actually responding to my point that the PS3 has also innovated the gaming market at least as much as the Wii, if not more. 3d capabilities, the media keyboard, and the inclusion of Blu-ray were not in any way refuted by my opponent. The only point my opponent actually responded to was the point of 3D capabilities for the PS3. And even there all my opponent claims is "the failure of 3D on consoles" without any sourced substantiation provided.

(B) Reliability.

On reliability, my opponent responds to my point (in which I showed that the apparent differences in reliability between the two consoles can be mostly explained by the levels of use by users, making them more equally comparable in those terms) by arguing that (A) the Wii playing time would OBVIOUSLY be lower and (B) that the Wii attracts a family audience who are likely to use their consoles for shorter intervals. I'll simply point out that I can accept both of these points while my main point still remains not contended against. All I had to show was that the Wii does not have the PS3 beat in terms of reliability. I showed this and all my opponent made as a response was an attempted explanation at WHY the Wii is used less. But that's not the point. The point is that both consoles are of comparable reliability according to the only statistics provided by either my opponent or myself in this debate. Just explaining why does not refute the point itself.

(C) Familial Enjoyment.

My opponent has completely dropped this argument and makes no reference to it in his R4. In R3, I showed that the PS3 provides many of the same products which contribute to more familial or elderly enjoyment of video games, while also showing that these products (like the Play Station Move) were actually rated as being of better quality then their Wii counterparts like the Wii remote. No response to this was provided by my opponent in his final round and thus he has dropped it.

===Con Case===

Contention. Comparative Game Quality.

I'd like to note to readers that my opponent has dropped both of his counter-contentions against my main point of game quality. In my R2 I provided my main contention in favor of the superiority of the PS3, drawing on the superior game quality of the games it released. In order to show this, I provided multiple statistics comparing the critical reviews of PS3 games as compared to Wii games. The statistics showed that beginning after 2006 and continuing on to the present, Sony has released not only more critically accepted games, but has actually released less as my opponent was kind enough to share. This means that as a percentage of critically accepted games to the number of overall released games, PS3 has the Wii beat even more. My opponent responded by contending that both Metacritic provides biased reviews in that its reviews don't positively correlate to the popularity of the game. I disproved this by showing not only that popularity does not mean quality (in that the latest "Alvin and The Chipmunks" movie was more financially successful in regards to ticket sales then "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo"), but by also pointing out that my opponent didn't actually provide positive evidence for his contention of buying off reviews. My opponent responded to neither of these points in his last round, therefore he has dropped them.

===Conclusion===

While my opponent provided an adequate opening case in his R2, he totally failed to respond to my own contentions or to defend his own from my critiques. Along with him completely dropping his own contention of familial enjoyment and innovation from my refutations, my opponent has also dropped his own attempted refutations of my own positive case in favor of PS3 superiority. Any of my contentions which my opponent actually did respond to were either based on faulty equivocation, arguments from popularity, or based on unsourced and unsubstantiated assertions. Therefore, I urge a Con vote. Also, much thanks to my opponent for the chance at this debate. I certainly learned quite a bit about an issue which I don't normally find myself contemplating!
Posted by Voice_O_Reason 4 years ago
Voice_O_Reason
They both suck. 360 for life!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by aero36 4 years ago
aero36
I thank you for joining this debate, good luck and have fun.
Vote Placed by mongeese 4 years ago
mongeese
aero36socialpinkoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's arguments puttered out in Round 4, failing to reasonably refute Con's arguments and instead simply repeating broad claims.
Vote Placed by daytonanerd 4 years ago
daytonanerd
aero36socialpinkoTied
Reasons for voting decision: In terms of Spelling and Grammar, both sides are even. I give Source point to pro because con used playstation biased sources in rounds 2 and 3. But Con made the better argument, as con refuted all of Pro's arguments, and pro didn't do the same with con.