The_Crusader
WillMurray

Wikileaks is a threat to United States national security.

The_Crusader

Con

This is my first debate and I wish my opponent good luck.

Threat-a source of imminent or potential danger.

I strongly negate this topic for the following reasons: it promotes good behavior, it ensures improvement, and this has benefited society. I will elaborate on all of these contentions in round 2 as well as rebut any points of my opponent.
WillMurray

Pro

Alright then so this is also my first debate here so this seems fair.
definitions
definitions for national security- the requirement to maintain the survival of the nation-state through the use of economic, military and political power and the exercise of diplomacy.
National Security- is a 2003 comedy film, directed by Dennis Dugan, starring Martin Lawrence and Steve Zahn. In addition to Lawrence and Zahn, National Security boasts an additional cast of Bill Duke, Eric Roberts, Colm Feore, Matt McCoy, and others.
So as long as we are using the first definition for national security wiki leaks poses a clear threat to national security. Lets take the one of the most recent leaks where members of the US state department were recorded criticizing other foreign leaders. This clearly posed a danger for our nation states ability to effectively exercise diplomacy.
To your points about good behavior, and the like I do not see how these relate to national security. Whether or not wiki leaks does those things you mentioned above is an entirely separate debate than if it is a threat to our national security. I assumed you are using the first definition for national security then these are my points. If you are using the second then I am gonna have to see if they have it on netflix.
Best of luck in both our debut debates.
The_Crusader

Con

The_Crusader forfeited this round.
WillMurray

Pro

dang you did not reply. Oh well if you wanna just do this with one less round fine by me
The_Crusader

Con

I apologize I forgot about the deadline, so I'm fine with the 3 round idea

1st-Wikileaks promotes good behavior. My opponent stated this is irrelevant to our national security so I will connect the two. Practically everyone is more inclined to have better behavior if they feel they may be videotaped. They are less likely to evoke in verbally abusive language when referring to others. Therefore, we (in the long run) will have better rations with other countries and other political leaders, showing how this helps our national security.

2nd-it ensures improvement. Wikileaks recently leaked a video of united states soldiers loosing fire on innocent bystanders. In scenarios such as this, people (the soldiers in this case) are ridiculed when resorting to these extremes, and therefore are less likely to partake in things such as this. This shows how it helps our national security, because it will result in improvement and also less ridiculed as a people in general.

3rd-I would like to change my third point. This is of no immediate threat to our security. As you look at the resolution, it clearly states:...wikileaks is a threat..." Based on the fact that wikileaks currently is shut down, there is no possible way they could be a threat to our national security now.

As I have yet to see any pro points, I will rebut in the next round. For these reasons, I urge a con vote.
WillMurray

Pro

I should have probably stated this at the beginning of the debate but as the instigator of this debate I believe the burden of proof lies on you. Also the video to the right is irrelevant
So first semantics. Your points simply do not matter because you have not shown that Wikileaks is not a threat to national security only that they are possible benefits to national security. As I stated in round Wikileaks clearly threatens national security by revealing national secrets it reveals information that makes it more difficult to maintain diplomatic relationships, harder to run the war and more difficult to maintain political power.
Now with that said i still think many of your contentions are simply not true.
1st- While it may promote good behavior in some, it merely promotes paranoia in others. To say that the ability to be discovered will force good behavior in all is simply to innocent a view.
2nd- This kind of ties in with the last one. Just because some negative videos about the the military have been released does not in any way mean that there will be a change in behavior. The potential for videotaping incrementing videos was not created by wikileaks it is merely a place those leaks can be posted. I think its rational to assume that soldiers as they are about to fire on innocents all the sudden decide to stop because of the potential for videotaping. I would assume that there fairing on innocents is usually inspired by panic, or mistaken identity.
3rd- Oh man starting to play dirty. Well while wikileaks may appear to be down that is just there main website. I present to you. This site is just filled with wikileaks mirrors, which basically means wikileaks is up and functioning for all respects in purposes. so your point is negated.
All right as I have shown Wikileaks clearly poses to national security whatever its benefits mights be. The site still exists for all intents and purposes so it still is a threat. My opponent provides no evidence for his other assertions besides logical conclusions which can be easily refuted without any data to back them. Wikileaks compromises a nation secrets and therefore poses a threat to national security, I don't really understand why my opponent urges for a con vote unless he was referring to spelling and grammar which is most certainly in his favor. So far he has only introduced his point, forfeited a round, and elaborated on his first couple points.
looking forward to the next round
I also want more links under my debate like all the pro debators so I am going to include a my like the wiki links video down here and also a link to the best video ever, but is quite irrelevant to this debate
http://wikileaks.info...
The_Crusader

Con

The_Crusader forfeited this round.
WillMurray

Pro

Awww again thats lame. Oh well I guess I won't make any more arguments. The video is awesome though its irrelevant to debate.
Vote Placed by WillMurray 6 years ago
WillMurray
The_CrusaderWillMurrayTied