thatsfacism
SONOFGOD2013

Will Atheists burn in Hell because they don't believe in God?

thatsfacism

thatsfacism

Con

It is a common belief that Atheists will go to Hell simply because they do not believe in God. I, as an Athiest, have been told by many different Christians that I will go to Hell because I don't believe in any sort of diety. I do not believe I will go to Hell when I die because I do not believe Hell is real. I believe that when I die, my body will decompose and I will rot in the ground just like everyone else. I don't believe in Heaven or Hell or any type of afterlife because there is no scientific evidence to support that they exist. Therefore, I do not believe I will go to Hell when I die.
SONOFGOD2013

Pro

I believe that hell and heaven is real. Even if your atheist, you still have a chance to go to heaven. You just worship god, and live a godly life. People have been to hell for a short time and returned. Most of them were bad people before it happened. But after it happened they completely changed and gave their lives to The Lord. Now I know you gonna think why should we believe that they went to hell if they have proof. They do have proof. Why would a had person change so quickly for no reason.
They always a chance to change my brother. But if you don't they honestly you do "burn in hell".
thatsfacism

Con

I'd like to thank my opponent in accepting this debate. I'm sure we will both be respectful towards each others views.

"Even if your atheist, you still have a chance to go to heaven. You just worship god, and live a godly life."

Well then, I wouldn't really be an atheist, would I? I'm sorry, but there is no scientific evidence in favor of the existence of God and therefore I cannot worship Him.

"People have been to hell for a short time and returned. Most of them were bad people before it happened. But after it happened they completely changed and gave their lives to The Lord."

We all know it is possible to be dead for a short time before coming back to life, but, just because people claim they've been to Hell or that they've "seen the light" as so many people say after they've had a near death experience doesn't make it real. The scientific explanation behind this is that after the heart stops, the brain has a huge surge of energy, in which the visual process is highly activated. This explains why people see bright lights. The near-death experience is not holy one. It is most likely the by product of the brain trying to save itself.

http://theweek.com...

"Why would a had person change so quickly for no reason?"

Well, I don't think they changed for no reason. Maybe they realized that we as humans have a short time on this Earth and that we shouldn't waste our life doing bad things. Maybe they havefamily or loved ones are unhappy with their behaviour. Do some of these people turn to religion so that they can turn their life around? Yes, but not all of them. I'm sure you don't need religion to live a good life and be a good human being. There are many different reasons why someone would want to turn their life around, not just becausse they belive they'll spend eternity in Hell if they don't.

"They always a chance to change my brother. But if you don't they honestly you do 'burn in hell'"

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to here. Are you saying that atheists should change or else they will go to Hell or are you saying that criminals who have a near death experience but don't change will go to Hell?

If it's the former, then I think that's a bit judgemental. I thought that God was the only one who determines who goes to Hell, so I don't think you have the right to say atheist will because you don't know every atheist and you don't know if they're a decent human being or not. Also what about people who don't believe in the same God or prophet you do? What about Hindus, Buddhists, Pagans, etc. who believe in multiple Gods? Are they going to go to Hell as well simply because they believe in something different?

These are legitimate questions, sir. Do you think that if I live a good life and I help others which I do, I am still going to go to Hell simply because I don't believe in any God?
SONOFGOD2013

Pro

I also hope we have a good debate.

I would like to clarify to what I meant when I said "even if your atheist, you still have a chance to go to heaven, you just worship god, and live godly life".What I meant is that you change your ways and have a relationship with god. I read the article about near death experiences that you said has a scientific explanation. They tested a near death experience on rats. First of all rats don't have a soul which means when they die, they really do die. Humans have a soul so our physical bodies die but are souls never do. They either go to heaven or hell. There are people who do go to hell who know gods real. They just don't ever try to live a godly life. And like I said there are good people(including atheists) who have went to hell and came back and that have given their lives to The Lord. I never said atheist are bad people. Honestly not all Christians are good people. Some think that everyone who aren't Christians are bad people. And people who are like that are "self righteous" , meaning that they think that there better than everyone else who aren't Christians. Christians are just as bad as everyone else. But the difference is that they repent and are cleansed from there sins. Anyone can give there life to The Lord and change there ways. God loves atheists just as much as he loves Christians. You need faith.
thatsfacism

Con

"What I meant is that you change your ways and have a relationship with god."

I know your intentions are good here, but I have no interest in having any sort of relationship with God, seeing as there is no evidence to support his existence.

"I read the article about near death experiences that you said has a scientific explanation. They tested a near death experience on rats. First of all rats don't have a soul which means when they die, they really do die. Humans have a soul so our physical bodies die but are souls never do. They either go to heaven or hell."

Is there any actual scientific evidence to support your argument? The answer is no. Yes rats, do not have have a soul, but humans don't either. This is because the laws of physics simply don't consist with idea of a soul or any sort consciousness after death.

Physicist Sean Carroll says, "Claims that some form of consciousness persists after our bodies die and decay into their constituent atoms face one huge, insuperable obstacle: the laws of physics underlying everyday life are completely understood, and there’s no way within those laws to allow for the information stored in our brains to persist after we die. If you claim that some form of soul persists beyond death, what particles is that soul made of? What forces are holding it together? How does it interact with ordinary matter?"

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com...

"There are people who do go to hell who know gods real. They just don't ever try to live a godly life. And like I said there are good people(including atheists) who have went to hell and came back and that have given their lives to The Lord."

Where are said people? Can you show them to me? How do you know they're telling the truth if they say they've been to Hell, considering the fact that there is no scientific evidence to support it? These are just questions that I'd like to see answered.

"Anyone can give there life to The Lord and change there ways. God loves atheists just as much as he loves Christians. You need faith."

I'm sure anyone can become Christian, but I refuse to take part in any religion because all religions are supernatural based and therefore can not be backed by science.

Your implication that I 'need faith' implies that I don't have faith. I do have faith, but I don't have blind faith. For example, I know nothing about evolutionary biology, but if an evolutionary biologist were to say something like "We've done experiments and we have confirmed that monkeys share the same empathetic nature that humans do." I would have faith that that person is right because they know more about the subject than I do and they have done experiments to test and confirm their hypothesis.

I don't, however, have blind faith in a God that has no scientific backing and the only evidence we as humans have to rely on are two books written hundreds of years before the discovery of modern science (which starts with people like Newton, Galileo, etc.).

You, as a Christian I presume, know what it's like to not believe in any other religion because you are not a Hindu or a Muslim or a Buddhist. What if, because you have faith in Jesus and not Muhammad, you go to a Muslim Hell? You're saying that if I don't repent now and become Christian, then I will go to Hell. But, what if you're praying to the wrong God? What if the Hindus are right r the Catholics are right or the Jews are right or the Mormons are right?
This is the primary reason I am an Atheist. There are far too many religions and no possible way to determine which is right. I believe it is better to live from reason and science than faith and religion.

SONOFGOD2013

Pro

Read this which could considered a scientists journey to finding out that god is real: http://www.cnn.com...

Now god does things that we will never understand. It's just completely beyond our comprehension. The devil uses that to make us say " how could a human have a soul, there is no proof". The devil is the master of deception and will use anything he can to make us not believe. So you asked who are people that have went to hell and back and why should we believe them. Well here are two testimonies that are people who have went to hell and back:

http://www.christianpost.com...
http://www.charismamag.com...

They both said that they saw hell. They both saw much more than a "bright light". Both people weren't believers but after were. Both people completely changed and are now living godly life. You say that you don't have blind faith. Christians don't have blind faith. They have the hold bible. The word of god. Here are two sites that say that the bible is real and has things that science didn't discover till hundreds of years later:
http://www.bibletoday.com...
http://evidencebible.com...

You say that how de we know which religions is right. The holy bible has things that were written thousands of years ago that are happening now. God gave knowledge to people such as Isaac and Daniel so they write it down and Christians use it today to gain knowledge and wisdom. In the end times god says more people will look away from and corruption will get worse and worse. Until god returns and judges us all.

GOD BLESS YOU MY BROTHER.

.
Posted by FluffyCactus 3 years ago
FluffyCactus
This is a dumb debate... At first it seem interesting because it might involve a theological debate about universalism or whatever. Rather, it is just kids spouting out their views about what does or does not happen after you die.

I would like to say something to the instigator. You say that there is no evidence for a heaven or a hell. I agree. I think there is no evidence for heaven or hell. However, I do not think that means they do not exist. Simply believing that hell doesn't exist doesn't exclude you from being effected by it's existence (if in fact it does exist).
None of the arguments in this debate are convincing or reputable.
Posted by Scientia 3 years ago
Scientia
Well, there would be more to it than just simply believing in God. You must also accept Jesus's salvation and believe that he died for everyone's sins. You probably won't, though, especially if you don't believe in the entity.
Posted by thatsfacism 3 years ago
thatsfacism
Thank you, I respect your opinion as well.
Posted by BryceBennett 3 years ago
BryceBennett
thats your opinion and I respect it
Posted by thatsfacism 3 years ago
thatsfacism
There may have been a time when Jesus walked the Earth and performed miracles but there is no scientific evidence to support that. You can live your life happily believing in the Bible, and that's fine, but all I'm saying is science contradicts religion in general and it's difficult to integrate the two. I'm sure there are Christian scientists and there are minister who accept evolution, but I personally can't be bothered religious and a believer in the supernatural.
Posted by BryceBennett 3 years ago
BryceBennett
there is the time when Jesus was on earth and performed his miracles that no one else could do and there is also how he was born from a virgin. But if that doesn't help you than ok. I wont just say Believe in God you atheist no i'm not like that believe what you want and live a good life.
Posted by thatsfacism 3 years ago
thatsfacism
In what sense?
Posted by Scientia 3 years ago
Scientia
A completely baseless theory here.
Posted by thatsfacism 3 years ago
thatsfacism
Exactly. I love religion, I find it fascinating. I just don't believe any of it. But I'm not turning around and bullying those who do. I have met many respectful religious people, but that doesn't mean there aren't some bad eggs out there. Just like there are many respectful Atheists, and there are some who condescend religious people.
Posted by Mobius 3 years ago
Mobius
Well, any Christian person who knows what they're talking about would say they don't know if you are going to hell or not. The people who you were talking to were most likely idiots or fundamentalist.
Vote Placed by Romanii 3 years ago
Romanii
thatsfacismSONOFGOD2013Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Both Pro and Con were generally respectful towards each other throughout the debate, but everything else to Con. Pro had noticeable spelling errors throughout, and he also used several biased sites. Con's arguments were much more convincing because Pro was not able to clarify why an all-loving God would sentence anyone to burn in Hell just because they didn't worship him.