varunpatel1998
Blade-of-Truth

Will Batman V. Superman be successful

Blade-of-Truth
Started: 1/21/2015 Category: Movies

varunpatel1998

Con

I don't think that this movie will be successful because DC's writers are very sloppy and the hype. Too much of something can be horrible for any movie, look at this movie now no one is talking Batman V. Superman like people are talking about Marvel's Phase 3.
Blade-of-Truth

Pro

Yes, I believe it will be successful.

I'm assuming that whoever presents the greater amount of supporting evidence will win?

There are several arguments that can lead one to believe the movie will indeed be successful. I will share those arguments in the following round and will simply use this one for acceptance.

Best of luck.
varunpatel1998

Con

varunpatel1998 forfeited this round.
Blade-of-Truth

Pro

My opponent has forfeited round 2.

In fairness, I'll extend the opportunity for the instigator to begin with arguments.

If my opponent forfeits the final round I'll just provide rebuttals to the opening arguments presented by Con as well as present some of my own to support my position.

varunpatel1998

Con

varunpatel1998 forfeited this round.
Blade-of-Truth

Pro

My opponent has forfeited the final round.

Clarifications

Since the key term, successful, has remained undefined by the instigator, I will take it upon myself to define the term.

Successful: having gotten or achieved wealth, respect, or fame. [1]

Con is arguing that Batman v. Superman will not be successful, whereas I am arguing that it will be.

In a debate such as this, I believe that whoever provides the stronger evidence for their side should win.

Rebuttals

I. "DC writers are very sloppy"

Con starts off by making a claim that he doesn't believe it'll be successful because the writers are "very sloppy." There are several issues I have with such a claim.

First and foremost, Con lacks any and all supporting evidence to validate such a claim. Without proof of these writers being "very sloppy" there is no good reason for me to accept that claim as accurate. Secondly, Zack Snyder co-wrote the story with David Goyer, and Chris Terrio (Argo) came in to help write the screenplay. [2] [3] The reason I highlighted Chris Terrio's involvement in the writing process is because his last project, Argo, won 3 Oscars including Best Motion Picture of the Year in 2013. [4] The fact that his previous project was so successful disproves any notion given by my opponent that he is a "very sloppy" writer. Lastly, the other writer, Zack Snyder is the man responsible for awesome movies like 300, Watchmen, and Man of Steel (all of which won awards). With such a strong team, writer-wise, I don't believe that my opponent has any accuracy and validity to his opening claim that the writers are "very sloppy".

Thus, due to Con's lack of any proof, this line of argumentation is nothing more than a baseless claim which truly called for more research from my opponent.

II. "Too much hype can be horrible for any movie..."

This is purely speculation on Con's part. Con provides no proof that this movie was over-hyped, nor does he present any cases where a movie being over-hyped ended up being horrible for it. My opponent also claims that no-one is talking about it. I disagree. Just today, in fact, an awesome website - DenofGeek.us - published an in depth article that covers nearly every aspect of the movie. Please feel free to check it out for yourself: http://www.denofgeek.us...

It talks about the basics of the movie, the story, the heroes, the villains, potential actors/actresses for roles, etc., and you can also see at the top of the article when it was published/updated. For me, it says, 1/24/2015 at 3:01PM meaning that earlier today it was updated. It also has 39 comments, and countless response-comments. So, to say that no-one is talking about the film now is completely false and inaccurate.

Arguments

I believe my rebuttals are more than enough to affirm the resolution at hand. I've overcome each claim raised by Con in the opening round and have shown the fault in them, beyond a doubt.

To sum up the arguments I was going to use, each revolved around the components of the definition of "successful" that was given (Wealth, Respect, Fame). I'll give very brief overviews of each just for the sake of affirmative arguments.

III. Wealth

Neither Pro nor Con can prove this, as we cannot know whether it was successful financially until post-release.

IV. Respect

It's gained enough respect to earn a production budget of over 131 million dollars. [5] A production company or bank doesn't just hand over $131 million dollars for nothing. They see the potential in their investment, and thus provide the means to acquire that potential return on investment. If they lacked respect for the film, they would have never invested such a vast amount of money in it. I suppose this could be applied to wealth, in the sense that they (the film-makers) have already made over 100 million in regards to production investments.

V. Fame

It's freaking Batman v. Superman! The fact that you are even wanting to debate this shows that it is at-least famous enough to be brought up in the form of a debate. That's a terribly weak argument though... so let's get real for a moment. Batman first appeared in Detective Comics #27 (May 1939). [6] Superman first appeared in Action Comics #1 (June 1938) and was actually created 5 years earlier (but wasn't seen by the public until that issue in 1938). [7] That's 77 years my friend, for 77 years they've been building up a fan base. Not many popular icons can say they've achieved such a feat, yet here are two men who've been around for over 70 years and are now going to be featured together in the film Batman v. Superman. In regards to Batman, The Guardian wrote, "Batman is a figure blurred by the endless reinvention that is modern mass culture. He is at once an icon and a commodity: the perfect cultural artifact for the 21st century." [8]

In closing,

I am sorry that my opponent forfeited nearly every round. I was looking forward to a fun debate regarding this upcoming film. Regardless, I've defeated each opening argument he made, as well as presented 3 short arguments of my own to affirm the resolution. I thank you for your time, please vote Pro!

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
[2] http://screenrant.com...
[3] http://www.denofgeek.us...
[4] http://www.imdb.com...
[5] http://collider.com...
[6] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[7] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[8] http://www.theguardian.com...

Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
Probably better to argue likelyhood of success. Also to first define success.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
varunpatel1998Blade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
varunpatel1998Blade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Tweka 2 years ago
Tweka
varunpatel1998Blade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: sad forfeit by Con. Pro fulfils their BoP.
Vote Placed by BLAHthedebator 2 years ago
BLAHthedebator
varunpatel1998Blade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: THIS IS NOT A VOTE BOMB!!! Conduct and arguments to Pro because Con forfeited, and his arguments were refuted without any counter to nullify those rebuttals. S&G and Sources to Pro, because Con's bad grammar hindered the clarity of his arguments, and the lack of sources made his claims unsupported, which wasn't the story for Pro. Pro wins ALL seven points.