Soldier_of_Speech
Ozzyhead

Will Ebola become another Bubonic Plague?

Soldier_of_Speech

Soldier_of_Speech

Pro

This is my first proposal for debate on a serious issue. Do you believe Ebola will not become the next Bubonic Plague? If so, than you are the perfect opponent. Although I do not comepletly believe in this matter, I would like to attempt to argue otherwise. Never done this before, so tips are appreciated in comments.
Ozzyhead

Con

I disagree with the resolution. The plague was a disease like Ebola (not comparing the two in any other way), but in the times of the plague, bacteria and viruses were not understood. They weren't even known to exist. Now, we have a concept of what bacteria and viruses are, so we understand how to defend ourselves from it.
Soldier_of_Speech

Pro

All true. But what about the case of a mutation? If Ebola continues to spread over the few years, that substantial amount of Ebola will replicate its cells is areas like the throat, bronchial tubes, and the lungs. If the airborne ill method is more efficient for its transmission, it would overcome any genetic costs such as the virus stemming from the mutation itself. The virus would develop attachments that would allow it to easily attach receptors in the upper respiratory pathway. It was tested that animals, specifically pigs and monkeys, could transmit the disease to each other through the air, not bodily fluids.
Ozzyhead

Con

Ozzyhead forfeited this round.
Soldier_of_Speech

Pro

To add to my response, we do not have a direct understand of the Ebola right now. Based on the current information provided about the Ebola virus, I believe it may mutate in less than two years. It is important that scientists create stronger vaccines or treatment to prevent the spread of Ebola thus preventing any further chances of mutation.
Ozzyhead

Con

Ozzyhead forfeited this round.
Posted by Soldier_of_Speech 2 years ago
Soldier_of_Speech
@leoghak I hope scientist have been at least wise enough to observe any surviving patients(after all, it is believed that experimentation in the West African area by scientists are to blame) for anything special that these few people may share in common that allow them to defend themselves against Ebola. One factor is for sure-you must have a strong immune system. I am already beginning to build up my immune system by taking multivitamins, exercising, and eating healthier. It is these small steps that can help you survive Ebola, not prevent the spread. Just make sure u stray away from people who cough or sneeze too much. A and carry hand sanitizer to use after touching public restroom doors, floors, walls, or people. I do not agree with your thesis, though. With technology and facilities in our country, the spread at not be as rapid. Diseases spread exponentionally; one person spreads it to multiple people who spread it to multiple people.
Posted by leoghakj 2 years ago
leoghakj
I wanted this debate.. Though I would think it can become just like the Black Death. I mean, if we don't start taking safety measures like banning flight to other countries, it will cause death to many... Then again, if you look at science, a few humans can survive the Ebola. A few might have traits to somehow kill the Ebola bacteria in those humans. And then when those humans start reproducing.. the children will have the same traits, thus less people in the future will be affected. But then again the ebola disease might evolve to an entirely new disease. Humans don't have enough medical info... x(
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Soldier_of_SpeechOzzyheadTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture