theoneandonlypda
bjrscj

Will Ferrell is a better Alex Trebek than Alex Trebek

theoneandonlypda

Pro

Alex Trebek has no personality and Will Ferrell does.
bjrscj

Con

My opponent's assertion that Will Ferrell is a better Alex Trebek can by no means be logically upheld. This holds true, as I will show, even in light of Trebek being Canadian by birth.

I will attempt to make my positive case here for Alex Trebek's superiority as himself, and rebut in the next round.

1. If Alex Trebek didn't exist, there would be no part for Ferrell to play. Trebek is the standard by which Ferrell must be measured if we are grading on a Trebek scale. Now if we were grading for who has better emotions, who is a better actor, or whatever else, that would be different. But grading for Trebekianism, our standard is therefore Trebek himself. One cannot be more pure Trebek than Trebek himself.

As an analogy, imagine a perfect circle. Now, whenever I see someone else draw a circle, it is in no way possible for that circle to be any more of a circle than the perfect circle by which I judge all circles. It is possible that any subsequent circle can be as circular, but never more. The same holds true with Trebekianism. While one could argue that Ferrell is as Trebekian as Trebek himself, it is logically impossible for him to be more Trebek.

2. Assuming one is not given to solipsism or disembodied minds in jars, we can assume that "being" is not merely mental or spiritual, but physical as well. Given all that goes into making an individual, it is demonstrably false that Ferrell has had the same experiences as Trebek, has the same DNA and nosehairs, etc.

3. While I would adhere more to a platonistic notion of essences, I will concede to fictionalism of sorts for this argument. Let's say that the definition of Trebek couldn't be found in Trebek himself, but was a created idea of values. So just as the idea of nationalism has changed in meaning and implication for action across centuries and landscapes, so we could argue the same for Trebek.

The problem here is that on a relativistic notion of definitions, there really isn't such a thing as "is." While we may have temporary definitions, ideas and truths are not static (they don't have essences), and therefore aren't objectively and eternally true. So even if my opponent did argue from a non-platonist viewpoint, he would still be overstating his case in arguing that Ferrell is a better Trebek than Trebek himself.

I appreciate my opponent's reverence of Ferrell, but I think we need to uphold Ferrell as Ferrell, a man who can play a better bizarro-Trebek than Trebek could. Ferrell is a great actor, but he is not Trebek, thank goodness.
theoneandonlypda

Pro

theoneandonlypda forfeited this round.
bjrscj

Con

I stand by my previous arguments.
theoneandonlypda

Pro

theoneandonlypda forfeited this round.
bjrscj

Con

I still stand by my argument.