nomansskyhype
Whitebark

Will We Ever Go Interstellar?

nomansskyhype

Pro

Although I don't believe humans will ever go interstellar, I believe we can send smaller space probes to the nearest star, Alpha Centauri. Recently a Russian billionaire has started up a project that the plan is it send a computer chip sized probe on a massive light sail propelled by powerful lasers on Earth, to send the space probe to the nearest star in 20 years. Furthermore if we continue to invest in physics and coming up with new means of propulsion, maybe we can come up with something. I doubt it will happen in our lifetime but I believe it will happen eventually. If we as humans want to live on forever, we can't stay on Earth. We will have to leave eventually. So we should start now and look for answers to the current technological problems.
Whitebark

Con

First of all OP, I'm very confused by your stance. Do you think that humans will go interstellar, or do you not? It seems you changed you stance as your opening statement went on. I'm just going to interpret this as you think we will go interstellar.
If this is true, then I will be glad to disagree.

One reason why this will probably never happen is because humans are too aggressive. By aggressive I mean we like to fight, and fighting in our time can lead to mass destruction. Nuclear warfare is going to happen long before we can make any human go interstellar.

http://www.scientificamerican.com...

In the article above, Planetary Co- Founder Louis Friedman argues that humans will only be able to reach Mars an nowhere else, although our robots could travel far and wide. Louis Friedman feels that humans should be able to and will only be able to reach and settle on Mars. From there he thinks that we will only be able to see what is further out in space with our own robots. The reason why Friedman thinks that humans won't make it past Mars is because once we reach that, everything else become different. Getting a human to Mars itself is a huge hill to limb, and it's unlike anything we've done before. Anything past that is so far out of reach right now that we have a better chance of dying out before we settle further than Mars.

Yes, we will probably send robots far out into the universe, but that isn't classified as us going interstellar. We will go interstellar when humans reach other galaxies and planets, not robots. Having a robot in another galaxy is not as impressive or significant as having a human in another galaxy.

From my viewpoint, humans going interstellar is just not as feasible as it's thought to be, mainly because of how far away we are from this technologically. Also, there's a great chance that a disaster could strike and ruin close to everything.
nomansskyhype

Pro

Yes I do agree that humans will probably never go interstellar, unless we develop revolutionary means of propulsion of figure out worm holes and such. But that kind of thing won't happen for generations to come.

But I believe within the next hundred years, we will send a space probe to the nearest solar system by accelerating the aircraft with realistic current technology to a portion of the speed of light. We can send small lightweight probes that don't care about being stranded in space for a quarter century.
Whitebark

Con

Whitebark forfeited this round.
nomansskyhype

Pro

nomansskyhype forfeited this round.
Whitebark

Con

Whitebark forfeited this round.