Trombonist
GoogooGaga

Will musical instruments become obsolete?

Trombonist
Started: 9/8/2016 Category: Music

Trombonist

Con

I believe that musical instruments will not become obsolete in the coming years as,

1. While electronic sounds can imitate musical instruments quite well, they can not imitate the emotion and soul that real instruments can convey.

2. While electronic music concerts are growing, they will never be as technically impressive as a skilled player of a specific instrument.

I look forward to my opponent's rebuttal and wish them the best of luck.
GoogooGaga

Pro

At some point software is bound to get to a level whereby one can simply type keys on a keyboard or drag the legnth of each note and then click a butotn such as G or C to decide the tone of the note. Onxe it gets to this stage, people won't need instruments, their sounds will have been recorded and from those sounds, manipulating the pitch etc to play them with keyboard keys like a real instrument will mean one needn't ever make a real one again for as long as computer exist.
Trombonist

Con

Software will get to the where they can make the sounds of real instruments. However, this will not replace musical instruments as computers will never be able to emulate the heart and soul that a human player can perform. Furthermore, a simple push of a button at a concert will never be as entertaining as watching a master play an instrument. For example, which do you think would be more entertaining at a concert?

This: https://youtu.be...

Or this: https://youtu.be...
GoogooGaga

Pro

Djing is done with disk jokeying not mouse-clicking, mouse and keyboard are how the tracks get mixed, not how they get distributed at the show.

The videos you handpicked give inaccurate depictions of electronic music. You conceded that instruments iwll becom eobsolete because the sounds in acoustic will one day be literlaly replicated in machines.

The range of emotions and genres in EDM is immense.

Trombonist

Con

Sounding like an instrument is not the same as playing an instrument. There is more to music than just the notes and the rhythms. Music is the expression of the soul, which is why computers will never be able to attain the soul that goes into an instrumental performance. I apologize for the misrepresentation of DJs, however my point remains the same. One man with a turntable can not possibly compete with someone who has spent years learning how to put their soul through a musical instrument.
GoogooGaga

Pro

In the end product, whether you played or simulated an instrument, The difference lies in which takes more effort. Once you learn the software and how notes work, you can make a symphony with your sole talent. It's a very transferable skill on the platform of computer.

Money, time, effort and everything is saved by making instruments obsolete. It's coming brother; the time of no instruments if dawning, adapt or die kid that's how it goes.
Posted by BackCommander 5 months ago
BackCommander
Being visually impressive doesn't stop something from being obsolete...

Example: If I killed fourteen people with a sword, it'd be an impressive thing to watch, that wouldn't make the sword any less obsolete.
Posted by whiteflame 5 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: missmozart// Mod action: NOT Removed<

4 points to Con (Conduct, Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments.

[*Reason for non-removal*] The RFD is sufficient, explaining both the point allocations given. While I agree with the reporter that the statement that resulted in the conduct point allocation isn't necessarily meant to be mean or unsportsmanlike, the voter is allowed some discretion to determine what is and is not a conduct violation, and this can be reasonably seen as one.
************************************************************************
Posted by Trombonist 5 months ago
Trombonist
Thank you for being so thourough, missmozart!
Posted by GoogooGaga 5 months ago
GoogooGaga
lmao
Posted by missmozart 5 months ago
missmozart
--RFD--

A fairly short debate so I don't have much to say. Con was uncontested in his claim that electronic music would never be able to imitate human feelings/emotions in art. Pro tried to refute this by saying that technology will *probably* be eventually able to do so but this is merely a bare assertion and I felt that it was overall a weak point, even with his/her video examples. Therefore, Con gets the argument points.

Con could have upped it by comparing music to let's say, art. For example, no matter how accurate or good photography or technology is, people are still learning how to draw, paint etc and nothing can compete with or be as valuable as real art.

I gave Con the edge in conduct seeing as Pro concluded the debate by saying, "It's coming brother; the time of no instruments if dawning, *ADAPT OR DIE* kid, that's how it goes." (I've capitalised the words.) I don't think telling your opponent to die if they will not concede the debate is an example of good sportsmanship and conduct. I found it extremely rude and professional, therefore why conduct goes to Con.
Posted by GoogooGaga 5 months ago
GoogooGaga
I play the trumpet
Posted by Trombonist 5 months ago
Trombonist
How did you get the YouTube videos embedded into the debate? I can't seem to figure it out.
Posted by GoogooGaga 5 months ago
GoogooGaga
Concede in round 3 and I'll save us both time and effort.
Posted by Trombonist 5 months ago
Trombonist
Frankly, I just need 3 debates so I can start voting. I didn't want to make this one a whole big thing.
Posted by GoogooGaga 5 months ago
GoogooGaga
500 char limit top lel
Vote Placed by extian 5 months ago
extian
TrombonistGoogooGagaTied
Reasons for voting decision: I thought both participants had good conduct and writing. Both also used video clips to back their points. However, I felt neither one made a strong argument. Pro asserted that computers will be able to replicate live musical instruments in all aspects, but Pro never backed up that claim. Con argued that computers will never make instruments obsolete, but I felt that arguing for the lack of "heart and soul" in electronic music was a bit subjective and not very compelling. Con would've had a better case if he argued from history and pointed out all the past technologies that were hyped as the end of live instruments, and yet were not. However, since I agreed with Con going in and Pro did not offer a successful challenge, my vote tips to Con.
Vote Placed by missmozart 5 months ago
missmozart
TrombonistGoogooGagaTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments.