amackic1
prof_freebern

Will posting students" grades on bulletin boards publicly motivate them to perform better or is it h

amackic1

Pro

I feel grades should be posted so the world can see. Why it that you may ask? Some may see as a achievement or other see as embarrassment. You put in those long studying hours and have only the perfect score on a test to show for it. People want to be seen as the smartest in the school. People want your advice on how you achieved that grade. All a person wants is recognition. And its rightfully theirs. The way I see it as, its embarrassing to see I have a low grade compared to others. Others see me and think ' Oh he is an Idiot" . I personally don't want to be seen as that and I'm sure others don't want to either. With the embarrassment in mind, it will give the emotional support to motivate me to achieve the better grade and if possible the highest grade in the class. Once you have learned the grades you achieved is top-notched you gain the bragging rights. Once the grades are accomplished, the students will have the absolute guts to say he/she is the best in class and be considered the smartest in their respected families. My High school teacher once said 'Its a war out there, you have to make it out ton top'. With the grades posted its a battle for the top. It is those who are on top that will receive the most benefits were ever they choose to go. In my personal experience when I get a low grade my parents would scold me and I didn't like it any bit. I would rather would prize with something for my accomplish. Reason being why grades should be posted for those all to see is the deciding factor on how well you can make yourself better, because you want to achieve that top spot.
prof_freebern

Con

I feel that grades should not be posted in a public space. Personal privacy is, and should always be, a primary concern for schools and students. One of the issues that I have with posting grades in a public setting is that it fosters a certain environment that does not actually promote learning. Grades can be a good indicator about how one is doing in a particular class, but they do not actually measure what someone actually learns. A good school environment should focus on allowing students to develop skills, like critical thinking, that are hard to measure using a standardized yardstick. Picture this. An second language learner has just moved to a new country. Although they were never top of the class where they came from, they always did very well in their classes. Now, while struggling to learn a new language, they see their name placed on a wall in the middle of the school. They see their name at the bottom of the board. While I won't hypothesize any further, it is pretty easy to imagine how that person would feel. Now, while getting good grades is an important part of school life, it is unfair to the majority of students in a school to equate ones worth to a single number, while ignoring every other factor that makes them who they are.
amackic1

Pro

I feel you do have good points in your argument, but the child should see their name at the bottom of the list as a goal. From that day forward they should put in the work needed to rise in the ranks. In today's schooling system they have dumb downed everything possible and in order for anyone to achieve anything is to develop your ability to memorize anything. This in all is a bad way of learning but it has come down to this and we must adapt to it. What does one person look into when they are hiring you, your track record, the grades you had received during your time in school. People want some one who will put as much work as they did in school in their corporation. They want people who will give their absolute best.
prof_freebern

Con

You too make some very good points. However, I see a shift in a lot of modern tech companies, where grades in school do not matter as much anymore. Google would be a great example of this. When Google hires new employees, they have strayed away from people who have graduated at the top of their class and have come from "brand name" schools like Harvard and MIT. Rather, they go for those who display intellectual humility. In other words, those who fail gracefully. Posting grades in the public eye does not teach students how to fail gracefully, but rather sets them up to exist in an environment in which failure is not allowed. This creates a paranoia about doing poorly, and makes students focus on getting that extra point rather than learning skills that will stick with them for a lifetime.
amackic1

Pro

In what I've seen in my life if you don't put out your A-game you will not get what you want out of life. In high school I had to put my absolute best in order to continue playing football. Why is it like that?, why would someone go thru this in order to be on top. Reasoning being is that their is someone better then you. You have to put in the time in-order to achieve. Where Im from if you dont put out 100 percent of your effort then stay home. Skills are learned from mistakes. It was a mistake that you got a low grade. You learn from this and strive for better. You see you got the highest grade and become competitive to remain in that spot. If you received a low grade you work your butt off to beat that guy out of first place.
prof_freebern

Con

Hard work is important. However, putting people down in a public space does nothing to help those who struggle become better. In fact, I would argue that it does the opposite, and instead creates a cycle of perpetual failure. Those who do poorly fall into a rut. In addition, there needs to be a layer of personal privacy in a school. Similar to how a school would not post public information about a students health issues or sexuality, they don't, and shouldn't, post a students grades for all to see. By opening up a students life to the public eye, a precedent is set that creates the opportunity to open up other parts of a students life to the public. And besides, who has the right to know things about a person that the person doesn't want others to know.