dhaase
knucklepuk

Wilt Chamberlain is presumably the best NBA basketball player of all time

Started: 3/6/2011 Category: Sports

dhaase

Con

Wilt Chamberlain is one of the most profound athletes of his generation and of all time. He completely dominated the game like no other. He could score whenever he wanted to, rebound whenever he wanted to, and dunk on a foul shot. Some may say that he was just taller than everyone else, so it was easy for him. However this is false because there have been men who were a lot taller than everyone else in the league, for example Yao Ming and Kenny George who played for UNC-Ashville and was 7 foot 7 inches. Both these players didn't put up half the numbers that Wilt Chamberlain did. So it wasn't just because he was tall. He was a great all around palyer offensively and defensively and it shows in his statistics.
knucklepuk

Pro

My opponent has challenged me on the Con side, but has debated in affirmation of the resolution. I will debate against what he posted rather than the side he is on. I urge a Pro vote while I debate in negation of Wilt being the best NBA basketball player of all time.
What is the ultimate job of any NBA Player? Easy. Their job is to win a title. A player who wins NBA titles is better at his job than a player who doesn't. Therefore, Bill Russell was a better player than Wilt. There isn't an easier to understand sport than basketball. If two teams of equal talent play each other, then the team with the better overall player will win. Russell's teams played against Wilt's and went 84-58. The best players also step up in the playoffs.
Wilt's record in Conference/NBA Finals: 48-44
Bill's record in Conference/NBA Finals: 90-53
Thats not all.
Wilt's record in elimination games: 10-11
Bill's record in elimination games: 16-2
Bill Russell won 11 titles. Wilt won 2.
Russell wins. Vote Pro.
dhaase

Con

dhaase forfeited this round.
knucklepuk

Pro

I was limited to 1000 characters in my first round and wasn't really able to expound on Russell's dominance over Wilt the way I wanted. This fact sums up the entire Wilt vs. Russell debate. Wilt Chamberlain once averaged 50 ppg in the regular season. Bill Russell won the MVP award that same year. Wilt had a bigger statistical impact; Bill had a bigger impact on every single game and teammates. Wilt peaked in the regular season; Bill peaked in the playoffs, when it mattered. Wilt was not clutch; Bill was the epitome of clutch. Like i said, if two teams of equal talent square off, then the winner of the game will be the team with the more dominant player. Russell's teams absolutely dominated Wilt's.

My opponent has done nothing but make false assertions up to this point. Wilt Chamberlain could not dunk from the foul line and certainly didn't put up twice the numbers Yao does. He also wasn't nearly as good a defensive player as Russell.

Bill Russell > Wilt Chamberlain
dhaase

Con

dhaase forfeited this round.
knucklepuk

Pro

My points have gone unopposed. My opponents points have been refuted and soundly defeated.

Vote Pro.