daytonanerd
MarquisX

Wilt Chamberlain was the greatest (other debate doesn't do this topic justice.)

daytonanerd
Started: 5/12/2012 Category: Sports

daytonanerd

Pro

I believe that Wilt Chamberlain (Wilton Norman Chamberlain) was the greatest basketball player who played at the NBA level. Wilt may have only won two championships, but he lost a good amount to the Celtics, who were loaded with Hall of Famers, the Milwaukee Bucks, who had the Big O and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor) on their team, and the New York Knicks, who won Game 7 of the finals against the Lakers when Willis Reed played in the game. Wilt led the league in Rebounds, Scoring, AND assists in different seasons, once averaging 50 PPG in a season. Wilt had more 60 point games than any NBA player ever, and in fact, has scored more 60 point games than all NBA combined. If wilt had been in an era when they recorded blocks, according to his colleagues, he would have averaged double digit blocks, when the most an NBA player these days can average is 5. This is the essence of Wilt Chamberlain.
MarquisX

Con

Wilt Chamberlain was an outstanding basketball player, however he played in a league where he was really the only big man out there. At 7'2, no one was as tall as he was. The closet was his rival Bill Russell at 6'9. This allowed him to easily dominate the league. Again he was a great player but his greatest assets was his height. However he also had a weakness. His free throw shooting was abysmal.

Micheal Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time. He has no weakness. Offense, defense there was not a defender alive who could slow him down. This debate is five rounds. I won't reveal all my cards now. I just want to make sure that my opponent knows that we share the BOF. He has to prove why Wilt Chamberlain is the best and I have to prove why he isn't.
daytonanerd

Pro

Alright. You saying that Wilt ONLY played against 6'9 guys is false. He played against tall people. Russell was also 6'10, not 6'9. Here are some centers that played when Wilt Chamberlain played the game

Walter Dukes (7'0", 220 lbs.)
Swede Halbrook (7'3, 235 lbs.)
Tom Boerwinkle (7'0", 265 lbs.)
Bob Lanier (6'11", 265 lbs.)
Darrall Imhoff (6'10", 220 lbs.)
Otto Moore (6'11", 210 lbs.)
Sam Lacey (6'10", 235 lbs.)
George Johnson (6'11", 245 lbs.)
Paul Ruffner (6'10", 230 lbs.)
Dick Cunningham (6'10", 245 lbs.)
Walt Bellamy (6'11", 225 lbs.)
Leroy Ellis (6'10", 210 lbs.)
Nate Thurmond (6'11", 235 lbs.)
Mel Counts (7'0", 235 lbs.)
Nate Bowman (6'10", 230 lbs.)
Clyde Lee (6'10", 210 lbs.)
Walt Wesley (6'11", 230 lbs.)
Henry Akin (6'10", 225 lbs.)
Hank Finkel (7'0", 240 lbs.)
Lew Alcindor aka Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (7'2", 225 lbs.)
Neal Walk (6'10", 220 lbs.)
Elmore Smith (7'0", 250 lbs.)
Jim McDaniels (6'11", 230 lbs.)
LaRue Martin (6'11", 215 lbs.)
Tom Riker (6'10", 225 lbs.)

See, the tallest player here is 7'3, and the tallest player in the NBA currently is... 7'3 (Hasheem Thabeet)

Also, height does not have a direct corellation with performance. Was Yao Ming a superbeast because he was 7'6? No. Is Hasheem Thabeet a superbeast? Of course not. Wilt played against many tall people, some even taller than him.

And you say Michael Jordan was the complete package? Wilt was more complete. He rebounded WAY better, Wilt, according to several sources, said he. Would average at least 8 blocks a game if blocks were recorded. Wilt was also famous famous for stealing the ball in the air A LOT, so he would have had a ton of steals too if they were recorded. Assists were also WAY WAY harder to get recorded back in Wilt's day, so he would have more assists too. So Wilt was the better complete package with Offensive, defensive, and rebounding power.

I will give you that Wilt's free throws were terrible, but back in those days, nobody's was really fantastic. .800's were hard to come by. Because Wilt played at center, you really can get at him for free throws, because centers most of the time are terrible free throw shooters.
MarquisX

Con

MarquisX forfeited this round.
daytonanerd

Pro

daytonanerd forfeited this round.
MarquisX

Con

MarquisX forfeited this round.
daytonanerd

Pro

daytonanerd forfeited this round.
MarquisX

Con

MarquisX forfeited this round.
daytonanerd

Pro

daytonanerd forfeited this round.
MarquisX

Con

MarquisX forfeited this round.
Posted by daytonanerd 4 years ago
daytonanerd
This debate is a failed debate. My opponent gave up in this one. My other, newer Chamberlain debate is superior.
Posted by daytonanerd 4 years ago
daytonanerd
72 is too long. 48 maybe?
Posted by MarquisX 4 years ago
MarquisX
I didn't realize we were doing only 24 hours! I've got a job and a family. Come on! Make another one, so I can beat you. 72 hours between arguments.
Posted by Blob 4 years ago
Blob
I think Pro has his work cut out here. Should be a good debate...
Posted by MarquisX 4 years ago
MarquisX
typo. I meant "BOP" as in burden of proof not "BOF"
Vote Placed by K.GKevinGeary 4 years ago
K.GKevinGeary
daytonanerdMarquisXTied
Reasons for voting decision: stating that MJ has no weakness is crazy. Isnt he human why is con stating that? Can I agree that Wilt was the best of all time, no, but Pro was more convincing in the players he played against. Con drops the arguments. Spelling both are fine as long as I can read it. Conduct obvious.