SquidKing
Error999

Wind Farms should not be removed from Australia

SquidKing

Pro

I believe that Wind Farms should not be removed from Australia. Wind Turbines produce renewable energy that doesn't use coal or any other non-renewable resource. Making energy from the wind is obviously an amazing way to make energy and wind will never be used up. It doesn't pollute the air or the environment.

P.S. Do not use this as an educational resource
Error999

Con

Hello ladies and gentlemen. The topic of our debate is wind farms/turbines should not be removed from Australia. Today I will be the con (or negative). Before I state my argument I need to point out some flaws in my opposition's case. SquidKing said that "Wind Turbines produce renewable energy that doesn't use coal or any other non-renewable resource..." Although that wind turbines do not use any fossil fuels to create energy it actually is made out of a fossil fuel. Wind turbines are made out of of carbon-fibre reinforced plastics. Plastics. Plastic is made out of oil which is a fast depleting resource in our world. Therefore in investing in wind turbines we will contribute to the loss of oil. My argument is that wind turbines are useless to the main urban population (people who live in cities live in cities). To effectively use a wind turbine one must be in a rural area. There you will have land and space but if the main populace live in cities they would have to run powerlines all the from there to a city which would cost thousands of dollars.
SquidKing

Pro

Before I start my second argument I would like to point out that plastic is being made at this very moment, and not for wind turbines. Now my argument. Wind farms across Australia can provide energy for 1.3 million homes which would be about 5 million people. Currently there are only 24 million people in Australia. More than 1/5 of the population. About what you said about oil used in making wind turbines, fossil fuels are already used commonly so using it to make a better environment for the future would be better than sticking with fossil fuels. Also the thousands of dollars that would be spent, the government should use money to make a better future for Australia. Those thousands of dollars should be spent. Wind turbines are a good use for the thousands of dollars you spoke about. Eventually there may be enough wind turbines that you don't need to spend more on them.
Error999

Con

"Fossil fuels are already used commonly so using it to make a better environment for the future would be better than sticking with fossil fuels,"- SquidKing Do wind turbines reduce the amount of carbon-dioxide in our atmosphere? Of course not. If you use the oil or other fossil fuels to make something it still will effect the environment. Having a massive tall structure made out of plastic stuck into the ground you will still effect the environment.I would also like to point out that thousands of dollars cannot be spent. We have billions of dollars at debt and money doesn't grow on trees so we cannot just spend "thousands of dollars". Also where did I say "sticking with fossil fuels". I never did ! In fact I propose a better plan which leads me to my argument. Instead of using wind turbines as a source of energy we can further harness our great Australian sun. Solar panels are made out of silicon, a much more environmentally friendly material. If we put a solar panels on most houses we would provide a lot more power and the extra power it generates can be sent back to the grid.
SquidKing

Pro

I never said that Australia should just suddenly spend thousands of dollars and build wind turbines, maybe wait until they pay off most of their debt. About what you said how we should use solar panels. Solar panels themselves cost thousands of dollars so by what you said that Australia is in debt means that we can't get solar panels either. You don't get solar panels growing on tree's which means they have to be made. To manufacture solar panels you have to mine the quartz sand for silicon and mine metal ore for the thin film cells. After that you have to treat them and then make them into solar cells. This causes lots of pollution and uses lots of energy which produces greenhouse gasses and even more pollution. Aside from pollution solar panels need to have the Sun shining upon them for them to actually work. Wind turbine produce more energy than solar panels as well as wind turbines provide enough energy for 2000 homes. I'm not trying to say that solar panes are bad, I'm trying to say that they're ot better than wind turbines.

http://solarelectricityhandbook.com... , http://www.lowtechmagazine.com...
Error999

Con

Okay let me set the record straight. First of all solar panels are not government based, they are created and installed by private companies. If it was government based then the debt would effect the cost and the mining and etc. but because it is a privately based this won't effect it too much. As you also said that wind turbines produce more energy than solar panels. That is true however it is a large-scale project so therefore it will provide more energy but when I'm talking about solar panels I mean lots of small-scale projects that will provide energy for a street or a neighbourhood. Also wind turbines need wind to generate electricity (hence the 'wind' part of the name ((jokes)) ) so it might not work on a clear not windy day. On that note I will be closing the debate. I would like to thank SquidKing for debating and I would like to thank you all for bothering to read this debate so please like this debate and I look forward to debating here on DDO. =)

PS: I actually do like wind farms and turbines. All you read is not what I think (except the solar panels part they are great!) Again please do not use as an educational source because we probably have made tonnes of mistakes in our research. Thanks for reading and goodbye!
Posted by Error999 2 years ago
Error999
Please do not use this debate as any source or other things. We just felt like doing a debate and came up with this topic. Also some of the information in this debate may be wrong because the Internet is our source.