skishenk
danmhood

Windows 8 is better than OSX Mountain Lion

Started: 12/7/2012 Category: Technology

skishenk

Pro

Storage Spaces
Resilient File system
Powershell
danmhood

Con

I believe that there are some good aspects to Windows 8, but the bad far outweighs the good when compared to Mountain Lion or even Windows 7.

First of all, Microsoft's removal of the start menu and forcing people to use the Metro Interface was a huge mistake. The Metro Interface doesn't even remotely work well unless you have a touchscreen computer, and tochscreen computers aren't comfortable to use at all unless they're tablets (plenty of people are still using desktops) or kiosks (which are almost always using software that goes completely over the OS interface and are therefore irrelevant to this argument).

The Metro Interface also shows signs of being poorly thought out in many regards. For instance, you have to click at least twice as much as you have to on Windows 7 or Mountain Lion to accomplish many tasks on Windows 8, which means that many simple tasks take at least twice as long. This kills any productivity that you have with the interface, and this is even true with the touchscreens that it's designed for!

Yes, I am targeting the Metro interface in this, but this is because they take away the Start Menu- one of the most important aspects of the Windows non-Metro interface- and therefore make it difficult to use anything but Metro. They took away something that worked, and they replaced it with something that doesn't work at all for a desktop machine (desktop users are still the majority here). I think that interface is one of the most important aspects of an operating system, and Windows 8 gets an F for interface.

I think that it largely comes down to preference between Windows 7 and Mountain Lion, but Windows 8 is so clearly inferior to Windows 7 for the vast majority of users. Therefore, Mountain Lion can be reasonably considered a superior operating system.
skishenk

Pro

skishenk forfeited this round.
danmhood

Con

My opponent has not provided a rebuttal, and I have nothing that I'd like to add to my argument, so I don't really have anything to say.
skishenk

Pro

skishenk forfeited this round.
danmhood

Con

I have nothing much to add, considering that my opponent never rebutted my argument. In conclusion, I'd like to say that I am not very biased wither way in the Mac/PC debate, but I'm just trying to see it for what it is. I'd also like to apologise for a rather disappointing debate- wasn't expecting a double forefit.