lmc211
16kadams

Windows is better than Mac

Started: 9/4/2012 Category: Technology

lmc211

Pro

Windows is far superior to mac because:
1.windows can run on any computer and isn't restricted to certain hardware. Because of this the user has more options for the type of computer he wants.

2.windows has more software available for it. Windows has more users and as we all know the developer usually goes with the largest number of users to sell their software too.
3.windows computers cost significantly less than Macs. You can buy a windows computer for under 500 dollars and Mac's often cost a minimum of 700 dollars but more like 900-1000 dollars.
for these reasons and many more are why PC is superior to mac.
16kadams

Con

1. Runs on all the hard ware!

Mac actually has better hardware then Windows. They have been shown to made out of stronger metals and plastics and last much longer then its PC. (this also relates to point 3). It has also been shown its internal parts are stronger and less susceptible to damage then their Windows opponents [5]. (don't ask why the footnotes are out of order)

And its a LIE when you say it cannot be customized. You can buy the default, sure, but online you can actually change what comes with the mac, etc. So instead of doing it yourself you can get it done, and again all these parts are less susceptible to damage [6].

Mac is just as good on hardware, and more durable making it better, then a PC.

2. More software

This is for documents and such, correct? This argument is now invalid as Mac has many programs that either come in a package with the updates or you can buy other products. One examples is parallels, which mimics a Windows computer. Another is bootcamp, which is literally Windows on a mac. Best of both worlds—and you ration the amount of memory you want on it—making life easy [1][2].

These applications mean you can do things only Windows can do, but on a mac. And then you can do things only macs can do on the... mac. No mac programs have come out for windows, and as I later explain Mac does things windows has never had an edge in.

Further, if you are only interested in, say, word documents, there are comparability modules that can be installed on the old versions of Microsoft office products and the newer ones are more in sync with Windows now [3].

So, in reality, Macs just as compatible because with these programs (Boot camp comes with Leopard as I recall) the point is effectively negated. And, Bootcamp was actually made by Windows and sold to Mac meaning its reliable [4].

3. Cost

I actually cannot argue it costs less. However cheaper =/= better. Mac is much higher quality. First, Macs get less viruses and therefore are less of a hassle, and later I show all the benefits Macs have make them worth the money [7].

Oh and remember how I proved Macs have better parts? Well Macs last literally for years. I personally have one from 2004 I think, and it works just as well now as it did then... seems slow now as I have newer macs though haha. I have seen many others last for long lengths of time. And guess what? When a PC breaks... you need a new one. Lets use your data: mac lasts for years... PC breaks, 500+500 = 1000, you said a Mac costs 700-1000, therefore the cost is the same, or the mac is slightly cheaper.

===Benefits of Macs===

***Professionals prefer Macs***

"It's not just how fast it runs benchmarks. It's mostly because it just runs without the viruses, spam, crashes and constant need for support, reboots, upgrades, defrags and maintenance without which Windows simply stops working after a few weeks. I only have to reboot my desktop Mac when I return from a trip during which I turned it off! It runs smoothly for months at a time. . . . [Windows give] [n]o backtalk, no stupid popup boxes in meaningless technical gibberish, no viruses, no slow operation, no spy ware, no crashes, no complex installations, no reloading operating systems, no taking 5 minutes just to turn off, no nothing except getting stuff done. . . . Everything just makes sense on Mac. This becomes even more obvious after learning the Mac properly and forgetting the six-finger Windows work-around's you used when you first upgraded."[8]

Summary: 1) faster, 2) easier to use, and 3) Less viruses

***Developers prefer macs***

"According to a recent Evans Data survey, Mac operating systems have surpassed Linux in popularity as a development environment in North America."[9]

Linux used to be number one, and as Mac surpassed it this means Mac wins.

Conclusion:

Vote CON, resolution negated.

Also, when I write in DDO and not on word, I seem to source spam and quote more.

[1] http://www.pcworld.com...
[2] http://www.parallels.com...
[3] http://forums.macrumors.com...
[4] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[5] http://www.apple.com...
[6] http://store.apple.com...
[7] http://open.salon.com...
[8] http://www.kenrockwell.com...
[9] http://www.cioinsight.com...
lmc211

Pro

1. Runs on all the hard ware!

"Mac actually has better hardware then Windows. They have been shown to made out of stronger metals and plastics and last much longer then its PC. (this also relates to point 3). It has also been shown its internal parts are stronger and less susceptible to damage then their Windows opponents"-opponent

W
hat my opponent is forgetting is that because windows runs on any PC is that you can get components that run equally well to mac and are just as durable. You can buy hardware that runs even better a lot of the time.

"And its a LIE when you say it cannot be customized. You can buy the default, sure, but online you can actually change what comes with the mac, etc."-opponent.

I said you are restricted to the hardware apple provides for you.
You only have an option to choose between the few hardware options apple provides for each component. but with a PC you can customize everything from intel to amd processors to the hundreds of different video cards you can choose with a PC. with macs you only have a few hardware options but you have thousands on a PC. with the mac pro you are spending 2500 bucks and the highest video card option is two 5770's. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! IF I AM GOING TO SPEND OVER 2500 BUCKS FOR A COMPUTER IT BETTER BE WAY BETTER THAN THOSE OUTDATED 5770'S IT SHOULD HAVE A NVIDIA GTX 680 FOR GOODNESS SAKE!!!

2. More software

"This is for documents and such, correct? This argument is now invalid as Mac has many programs that either come in a package with the updates or you can buy other products. one examples is parallels, which mimics a Windows computer. Another is bootcamp, which is literally Windows on a mac
" Let me first start off saying no this is not just for documents and such but this is for almost every game on PC. most games aren't compatible with mac. If you were going to use windows on a mac to begin with then you should have gotten a windows computer and saved yourself the money.

almost all features on mac have a windows equivalent or are going to with windows 8. For example Icloud has an equivalents such as google music for syncing your music in the cloud, google docs for syncing your documents, and google contacts for syncing your contacts. There are many more equivalents to mac programs that run on windows too. The microsoft app store is the windows equivalent to the mac appstore. As you can see there are many equivalents too mac on windows.

3. Cost

"I actually cannot argue it costs less. However cheaper =/= better. Mac is much higher quality. First, Macs get less viruses and therefore are less of a hassle, and later I show all the benefits Macs have make them worth the money [7].

Oh and remember how I proved Macs have better parts? Well Macs last literally for years. I personally have one from 2004 I think, and it works just as well now as it did then... seems slow now as I have newer macs though haha. I have seen many others last for long lengths of time. And guess what? When a PC breaks... you need a new one. Lets use your data: mac lasts for years... PC breaks, 500+500 = 1000, you said a Mac costs 700-1000, therefore the cost is the same, or the mac is slightly cheaper."-opponent

I will agree that macs get less viruses and windows is the more vulnerable platform however with a good security suite for your PC most of these viruses can be detected ahead of time and removed if you get them on your computer providing you have a good antivirus such as AVG or Microsoft Security Essentials. But I will agree with you windows is more susceptible to viruses. PC is the cheaper platform, sure macs last for years but PCs can last for years too i have had my windows desktop for like 3-4 years now and only spent like 400 bucks on it. I agree macs last longer than PCs but i find it to be rather afforable to spend 300-500 dollars on a PC every 3-4 years but macs last about 7-8 years at least. so lets say we spend 400 dollars on a desktop every 4 year, so that would be 2 pcs every 7-8 years which would give us 400+400= 800 and you are going to be spending 1000 on a mac probably so 1000 dollar mac minus 800 dollars for pc's that comes to 200 dollars less than a mac.

"It's not just how fast it runs benchmarks. It's mostly because it just runs without the viruses, spam, crashes and constant need for support, reboots, upgrades, defrags and maintenance without which Windows simply stops working after a few weeks. I only have to reboot my desktop Mac when I return from a trip during which I turned it off! It runs smoothly for months at a time. . . . [Windows give] [n]o backtalk, no stupid popup boxes in meaningless technical gibberish, no viruses, no slow operation, no spy ware, no crashes, no complex installations, no reloading operating systems, no taking 5 minutes just to turn off, no nothing except getting stuff done. . . . Everything just makes sense on Mac. This becomes even more obvious after learning the Mac properly and forgetting the six-finger Windows work-around's you used when you first upgraded."-opponent. you make it sound like windows gets viruses the first time the user uses it, and you are forgetting that macs are also susceptible to viruses. Spam is not dependant on any one operation system it is simply emailed to you within the browser and can be easily solved by a spam filter. Windows does crash but its not that often sure windows will crash every now and then but the new windows operating systems reduce this greatly and it doesn't happen as nearly as often. PC's don't require a constant need for support. Support for windows computers is every now and again when something bad happens but nowhere near a constant level of support. sure you need to reboot pc every now and again but its not like it happens all the time you make it sounds like it constantly needs restarting to get back to a efficient state but you really only have to restart it when something bad happens or its going slow which isn't as often as you make sound like. you don't need to upgrade a pc that often i have had my laptop for 2 years without upgrading its not that often and when you do need to upgrade it, you can actually do it without voiding the warranty unlike mac. You really only need to defrag your pc like once a year and its really not that big of a deal. I can safely say that windows will not stop working after a few weeks if you don't do those things. you seriouly think windows installations are complex, there simple as can be you just click next until its intalling and then you run it. Windows doesn't take 5 minutes just to shutdown it maybe takes like 30 seconds at max. you have exadgerated literally all the bad qualities of windows to outrageous means that don't happen that often. I made my point. good day.

16kadams

Con

My opponent has claimed Windows hardware is far superior as it has more selection. However, when looking through Microsoft’s hardware store, much of it seems lower quality then a Mac. One thing that comes to mind is the casing. Windows outer casing is plastic and sometimes has a glass screen. A Mac has a aluminum casing and glass screen. Further, when comparing the batteries, Mac has considerably superior battery life [1][2]. The aluminum casing in even the Mac book air, which is quote thin, is fairly durable and strong due to its outside and inside components. It’s inside components take hours of manufacturing, unlike their Windows competitors, as they are made to be inserted perfectly and hold in place better. I agree Windows is fairly compatible, but none of their hardware has any durability power the Mac does. All of what you are saying is an assertion; all of what I have said is referenced [2].

My opponent then has argued Mac customization is great, but expensive. But to many people, Mac is better even when right out of the box. My opponent has the burden as he is the one making the statement, and he needs to prove Windows are inherently better. However, Macs for things such as video making and music are far superior in both of these tasks. Macs are also much simpler to use if you merely want a home computer. In other words, Macs already come in a way that they need little customization for what they are aimed to do (they are much better then a PC at their specialized operations, already negating the resolutions that Windows are “better”). And my opponent makes an unsourced claim about cost. If I upgrade their computers to the max it arrives near 2000 dollars (sometimes more depending on the model), however the increased performance is worth it (assuming you have a specialized goal). For example, this boosts video and gaming performance a lot. And the music and video performance goes from great to perfect. And if you are using it for every day life, then you will really have the best computer possible for that with the additional cost. I don’t see how the cost is a downside if it makes something, which is already better, then a PC even higher up the performance test.

My opponent’s point of software is weak. He starts out saying most games don’t work on Mac… no they don’t, they work on boot camp which automatically comes with Leopard and Lion upgrades. So it works with any modern Mac negating the resolution yet again as it shows Macs are equally good on games and, therefore, are not “worse” then Windows. And companies like Feral are making many games, such as the total war series, available for Mac. Three of the games they made, which I enjoy, are empire and Rome total war and imperial glory. They are now working on other projects [3].

Google docs works with everything, and yes I am aware Windows have many Mac systems. However, developers have shown most software Mac has works on Windows (meaning Mac is equally good, negating the resolution as now windows is not better), and many of the things Mac has (they have many all purpose apps) are not available on a Windows. So we just click an Icon, you need to go to start and navigate through the files. Macs have been shown in many analysis’s to have equal software capabilities for a few reasons, 1) as stated last round, Boot Camp is literally windows and, therefore, a Mac can do the exact same things as a Windows can. Ever. Meaning its equal in everything, and the resolution is destroyed! How is a Windows better if Macs have things only they can do AND applications, which give them everything, a windows does? 2) Many games, an example my opponent used, are being created for Mac [4].

My opponent argues good security, such as Norton, prevents the virus problem. I will have to concede this point, to a degree, however the rebuttal is still flawed. Many Windows users elect not to get the security, meaning they ruin the computer. Further, my opponent needs to factor in 30-80 dollars in his cost analysis as that’s what Norton costs based on my experience.

Macs last for decades, people have noted 10-30 years of life [4]. So lets use the number 15 years. 15 years = 1,000 dollars. In the same amount of time, you have bought about 3-5 PC’s. Lets go with three. 1,5000 dollars. Assume the person is not a moron and adds security. 90 dollars (lets say he got the 30 dollar option). 1,590 dollars at best. And, assuming no virus security is installed, we can assume he loses computers faster. So that can be upped to 2000 dollars, slightly more. When looking at the data we see costs are about the same. Let me be repetitive. RESOLUTION NEGATED AS MACS ARE EQUALY GOOD (or better) HERE AND, THEREFORE WINDOWS ARE NOT BETTER.

My opponent in his next rebuttal only rebuts half of the argument. He drops the analysis Macs are easier to use—it is a fact—meaning Macs have an advantage in this field. And, yes, Macs can get a virus but it is less likely. Meaning the net-annoyance is lower. It is less likely as Macs are less popular and, therefore, there is less of an incentive to infest them. “PCs are 90% prone to viruses, because most hacks, viruses and whatnot are coded and developed only for Windows OS running computers. Secondly, viruses can get through even with some viruses blocking software. Macs have their own software to prevent viruses built-in to the firmware and OS.”[5]

So they are already less susceptible to them and have built in mechanisms already.

CONCLUSION:

--Hardware: Macs are superior

--Software: Macs are equal to Windows

--Cost: Macs are equal or superior to Windows

--Professionals view: Macs are superior due to their simplicity in use, faster speed on average, and less susceptible to viruses

--Developers view: My opponent never argued the point and, therefore, concedes it as true. Macs have developing preference.

In conclusion, my opponent has not proven Windows are “better”. I have shown in all cases Macs are equal to or superior to windows, thus negating the resolution.

[1] http://www.microsoft.com...

[2] http://www.apple.com...

[3] http://www.feralinteractive.com...

[4] http://www.makeuseof.com...

[5] http://appleguy1000.wordpress.com...
lmc211

Pro

lmc211 forfeited this round.
16kadams

Con

Conduct to con, extend points
lmc211

Pro

lmc211 forfeited this round.
lmc211

Pro

lmc211 forfeited this round.
Posted by Oldfrith 4 years ago
Oldfrith
This was fairly obviously written by a gamer who thought he had an easy argument...