Masdebator
ax123man

Windows is superior to Macintosh

ax123man
Started: 11/13/2012 Category: Technology

Masdebator

Pro

Im not saying Apple products are bad, im just saying Apple sucks compared to the things you could do with a Windows computer.
ax123man

Con

Thank you Masdebator for this opportunity to discuss this topic. I think you've set the bar high with the term 'superior', so I'll stop here and allow you to bring your case.
Masdebator

Pro

Oh my, your sarcasm is so demeaning.

Apple is over-rated. Winning over the people with slick looks, and "Organized" set ups.
Truth is, Macs have less to offer at an affordable price than a windows computer.

"Oh, but Macs don't get viruses"

Big whoop, neither do PC's if you aren't stupid about what you download.

Also, just about every possible program runs on PC, and some programs aren't compatible with Mac.
Also, PC's are so inexpensive compared to Macs
ax123man

Con

Thanks Pro for the timely, if not abbreviated, response. First, given your resolution, "Windows is superior to Macintosh", to win this debate, I only needed to show that Mac is just as good as Windows. Now on to your points:

Apple is over-rated.

I thought we were debating Windows vs Mac? But I'm happy to compare IOS to Windows Mobile if you like, or other products. I don't think that's going to help your case.

Winning over the people with slick looks, and "Organized" set ups.

Given that I've spent the last 20 years earning a living working on both Windows OS's starting at 3.1 and Macs in the last 5 years, I can appreciate the ease of use that a Mac offers. It may be "slick" to you. To me, I get my work done faster. But don't take my word for it, check out the article from infoworld:

http://www.infoworld.com...

"Oh, but Macs don't get viruses"

It's no secret that authors of malicious software target Windows because the market is larger. However, I don't think you are winning any votes by calling anyone who's ever had a computer virus stupid. By the way, I don't run antivirus on my Mac. It slows me down and I've never had a problem. My kids Windows PC's? That's another matter. I just tell them to re-install the OS ;)

Not sure about that. I've worked on dozens of software programs that run on IBM mainframes, AS/400, IOS, Linux, etc. None of those run on Windows. Seriously though, there are a LOT (and I do mean a LOT) of programs that run on Windows. More than run on a Mac. But users just want software that gets the job done. The only users who are going to find this a problem are gamers, and I concede that market to you. However, I don't think you can prove Windows is superior to Mac appealing only to that group. I can bring the same argument for graphics designers, artists and musicians.

I wonder why people are willing to shell out that extra cash? Maybe because it's superior?

Back to you...
Masdebator

Pro

You've been sucking the Apple/Mac dick for a looooong time!
Congrats on purchasing all of your overpriced software.
As for me, ill be doing everything you listed with ease on a equally powerful computer for half the price!
enjoy!
ax123man

Con

Well, this was an interesting debate. However, since I refuted all of Pro's arguments in round 2, I'll not burden voters with any additional information here.

I'll end this with a suggestion for Pro: use the forums.

Posted by ax123man 4 years ago
ax123man
As said below, I'm not really interested in "windows vs mac" debates. However, I might debate something like:

The resolution "Windows vs Mac" is silly and meaningless.
Posted by L3gitSkillz 4 years ago
L3gitSkillz
This debate goes to ax123man but I still believe Windows>Mac, this guy just really sucked at debating eh.
Posted by ax123man 4 years ago
ax123man
I normally would NEVER participate in such a debate. Each platform has it's advantages. To lay claim to one being "best" is an absurd statement. Best for what? I'm a software developer and for that, it's an easy choice, especially since I don't suffer the cost burden.
Posted by Heineken 4 years ago
Heineken
I like Pro. I agree with him. Con has been sucking way to much apple wang.
It's a shame that Pro didn't manifest any last round arguments because Windows based IBM PCs have a massive advantage over the Mac OS Apple PCs.

Consider upgrade potential, universal parts support, processing power, price, R&D market, software availability, and buisness solutions.

Con was right in one aspect. Windows run-time environment does not support Linux without an emulator. However, not a single server solution is run on a F*cking Mac. So Macintosh doesn't gain an advantage through the argument. Additionally, the PC is much more stable in running a dual-boot configuration between Windows and Linux.

Now, Pro definately screwed the pooch when he failed to properly define his arguments. His resolution essentially claimed: Windows software is better than Apple Hardware.

It doesn't really make sense if taken literally, but I think we all know what he meant. For Con to play semantics over the issue was...lame.

The only true advantage that a Mac has (and PC users must concede this), is that Mac is superior for multimedia rendering. In the Movie buisness, the music industry, etc....Mac is king.

Overall Mac sucks, but you win....this time. (Shakes fist).
Posted by Luggs 4 years ago
Luggs
Con refuted all of Pro's arguments, and Pro resorted to a personal attack in round 3. If I could vote (I need to finish my 3rd debate), I would vote Con.
Posted by MuniLove 4 years ago
MuniLove
This was funny debate, but I say windows al the way. Same with Android.
Posted by viraj.mahesh 4 years ago
viraj.mahesh
It is very hard to objectively determine the superiority of a product. Definitely, mobile products by Apple have a significant sales lead over their counterparts. However, since the debate is between windows and macs let us consider computers.

The only concievable plus point of a macintosh is the relatively small set of hardware specifications that the operating system has to run on. All Macbooks/iMacs of a given model are identical. The have the exact same set of internals. Even between two generations, there isn't always drastic change. Thus, Apple actually has a fighting chance of nipping software bugs in the bud. Its easier for developers to test and debug programs as software behaves the same on all machines. Users have the same experience even when using two different macbooks.

Contrast this to the diversity seen in windows products. A large number of brands make them and their internals are very very different. You would be hard pressed to find two different laptops with the same specs. Thus, user and developer experience differs vastly.
Posted by Masdebator 4 years ago
Masdebator
It is for overall general performance. All gaming, designing, and program running included.
Posted by TheElderScroll 4 years ago
TheElderScroll
so are we talking about game players, business users, or designers? Or college students. You need define the perimeters. Otherwise, it is hard to say. Mac is not designed for gaming, so it is not surprised that not many game players may not use Mac. But for designers and others...
Vote Placed by Torvald 4 years ago
Torvald
Masdebatorax123manTied
Reasons for voting decision: This is no votebomb. Conduct would've been tied, had Pro not made a rather rude comment in Round 3. Spelling and grammar to Con, as Pro had multiple instances of questionable spelling (such as 'ill' for 'I'll'). Convincing arguments to Con for highly obvious reasons--he refuted every single one of Pro's arguments gracefully, and Pro failed to provide any compelling arguments. Reliable sources to Con because he was the only one that actually listed any sources.
Vote Placed by ThomasJefferson 4 years ago
ThomasJefferson
Masdebatorax123manTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct goes to Con, as Pro accused him of sucking a dick. Con also presented stronger arguments for his position, while Pro presented almost no arguments.
Vote Placed by One_Winged_Rook 4 years ago
One_Winged_Rook
Masdebatorax123manTied
Reasons for voting decision: Don't really need a RFD since it's pretty clear. Even though I agree with the resolution, PRO didn't present a good argument for it.
Vote Placed by Heineken 4 years ago
Heineken
Masdebatorax123manTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD
Vote Placed by AlwaysMoreThanYou 4 years ago
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Masdebatorax123manTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro took the right side, but failed to defend it adequately. Con negated all his arguments, and rather than defending them in the last round, Pro merely threw out a couple of insults.
Vote Placed by TheElderScroll 4 years ago
TheElderScroll
Masdebatorax123manTied
Reasons for voting decision: An interesting debate. I would vote for Con. As suggested by Con, pro?s argument may appeal to a very particular group of users: Gamers. Also suggested by Con, gaming industry overwhelmingly produce their games on Windows System. Con made a strong case by saying that ?I don?t think you can prove Windows is superior to Mac appealing only to that group.? Moreover, Pro may not be able to defend his statement as such ?Oh, but Macs don?t get viruses? just by appealing to ignorance. Price could be a part of ?superior? discussion, but whether it is important enough for the users to claim that Windows is superior to Mac is unclear. On the basis of above reasoning, I would vote for Con.