Bluedebater123
E-Pro

Winnie the Pooh Movie is a better children's movie than Up

Started: 1/7/2010 Category: Arts

Bluedebater123

Pro

While comparing both movies, I have learned that there is more violence and sadness in Up than there is in the Winnie the Pooh movie children should feel happy when watching a movie; not crying over the death of a guy's wife and feel scared about the extreme heights that are seen throughout the 92 odd minutes that it is on. Winnie the Pooh is a fun-loving movie with only some parts that aren't really that down as a doctor telling you that you cant have a child as it did in the other. This other movie was also made when there were no blue-rays or anything of the sort, so this leads me to think that society is more open to their kids with saddening issues than they were years ago. Times have changed for the worst.
E-Pro

Con

I accept your arguement on the terms that times have in fact changed, but now how you believe. The world post 911 has shown that the world isn't a place in which we the able to believe a tale in which things are light and all happy. A story in which believable characters are thrust into scenarios where they must overcome real-life flaws and sadness is more culturally relevent than before. Up was made with children in mind, but also to display the continuing line of Pixar movies that contain signifigant deeper meaning than that of an older movie. They cover fear of lonliness, need to explore, and pursuing the dreams you've only considered dreams. More than what's been pursued in the past. Up is a better Children's movie by merit of deeper meaning and cultural relevence
Bluedebater123

Pro

Yes, as you have said that things were revolving around light and happy tales, but isn't that what childhood should be? I know, when I was little, I always wanted to know situations that people older than me were facing, but I think that I was protected from that for my best interest. Being a child should be spent being a child and watching wacky, unbelievable fairy tales that could never happen in real life. At this time, things are making children less innocent and more saddened by things and scenes that a movie such as Up has. And what about future Disney movies? What will be in store for the kids now?

I understand 911 was a big deal and should be remembered, but kids aren't responsible for that on their shoulders when they should be enjoying a life without jobs, taxes, and such as long as they can.
E-Pro

Con

Allow me to quote you

'...but kids aren't responsible for that on their shoulders when they should be enjoying a life without jobs, taxes, and such as long as they can'

Escaping responsibility is not averting it. One must learn of the world through both light and dark. A movie is made not just for entertainment, but for a meaning. Up is a story of unlikely companions surviving through unlikely scenario that is difficult for both of them to conquer. Russell's attachment to Kevin, even when his friend may be in true peril's way, shows of extended family, of bonds not just made in blood. That carried more meaning with me than everything I saw of Winnie the Pooh in my own childhood.

Knowledge is power. There are frightening things in the world, some of which a child can not face alone. However, movies can help them come to terms with that. To know of evil, and how to confront it. To know of the mundane and the exotic, and what it brings. Life is not without its conflict. That conflict is what life is all about: knowing it, and conquering it
Bluedebater123

Pro

I understand you perfectly on the knowledge part, but I still don't come to see why a movie can't just be enjoyed. Yes, children definitely need to learn, but that doesn't mean that they don't need to relax from time to time. Also, they could tone it down in the movie Up now which shows some blood when he hits him with a cane and gives the viewer an idea that heads will be taken off when his childhood hero is threatening him. Almost all Disney movies have never even let their characters say the word blood except for sleeping beauty where she pricks her finger. I mean many have learned some things through shows and movies, but when you're little you don't really get that deep understanding.

When the dog told that joke about the squirrel dying, that made violence an okay thing which shouldn't be. Popularity is also a factor when the alpha is turned to him (also when he's being bullied).

Winnie the Pooh also shows bonds between people that aren't blood related in a soft cuddly way that is pleasing to kids. They would do anything for each other which also shows that friendship is connected with loyalty and commitment. In an odd way it also addresses substance abuse with Pooh's honey jar. This movie also has its own depth that is just more light-hearted. There is no bullying or violence talk.
E-Pro

Con

To close my statements, I would like to add a final few notes. To begin, to say Winnie the Pooh is a better movie would imply it to trump Up in all categories, so I'll finally have to play the time card. Between then and now, there has been leaps and bounds in technology, allowing for a better visual experience to be made. And if I remember correctly, Up was jaw dropping gorgeous.

Now, to the second point: children know of pain and sadness before seeing movies. To say that the viewing or implied viewing of a few specks of blood and death in a children's movie as something new isn't a sturdy argument, as many other of the most popular Disney movies that are more often seen as kid's movies have them. The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, and in the implied sense, Toy Story 2 ((All those things about Andy not playing with Woody? That's a toy's death))

Children know of conflict, so to show a movie with a lack of a relatable conflict will seem un-natural and corny. It will be generally unrelatable and unrealistic in the eyes of a child. It will be a pipe dream. They can understand conflict, they can understand good versus evil.
Posted by kiwimelon 4 years ago
kiwimelon
Up is way better. Sad events in movies doesn't make it any less enjoyable. The world is not all smiles and sunshine. Kids should learn that now. Disney might not mention blood, but death is nothing new: watch Bambi. Almost every children's movie includes a battle scene with some villian, Up is no different. :)
Vote Placed by Bluedebater123 4 years ago
Bluedebater123
Bluedebater123E-ProTied
Vote Placed by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
Bluedebater123E-ProTied
Vote Placed by kiwimelon 4 years ago
kiwimelon
Bluedebater123E-ProTied
Vote Placed by Koopin 4 years ago
Koopin
Bluedebater123E-ProTied
Vote Placed by zchernicky 4 years ago
zchernicky
Bluedebater123E-ProTied