iluvkitty
ClearlyClaire

Winter is better than summer.

iluvkitty

Pro

Winter is better than summer. Although you get colds and illnesses in winter, you still get illnesses in summer that takes a long time to resolve. For example in summer, you feel really hot and subsequently fall ill and weak- there is not much you can do apart from stay cool and rest. Summer is really hot and you cannot dress up for that. If you wear too much clothes you get really ill and if you wear little clothing you look irresponsible. In winter you can wear a scarf, a coat, gloves etc. That protects you from the cold. Summer is beautiful but if you consider health, you would think winter is much better.
ClearlyClaire

Con

I would disagree with Pro on the assertion that winter is healthier than summer by a metric of illnesses. There are any number of illnesses that can strike you all year round and the ones associated with summer are no joke, I'll give you that. Summer's top health concerns are overexposure to UV radiation (sun burn), dehydration, and heat stroke. These all can be prevented with a few basic steps: sunscreen, proper attire, and drink water - lots of water.

Winter, on the other hand, can be rather vicious with it's health concerns. There is seasonal affective disorder, hypothermia, flu, and not to mention that summer's hazards are not out of the picture. It's actually fairly easy to become dehydrated during winter due to the cold covering for a loss of water and the dry atmosphere both inside of climate controlled buildings and out contributing to your body's loss of water. You can become overheated in too much clothing without being fully aware of it. And to top it all off, snow is effective at reflecting UV radiation, which doesn't simply disappear thanks to the temperature. You can still get sunburned.

To address the problem of people dressing "irresponsible" during the summer months, that is purely a matter of opinion. But I would like to point out that if there were an effective, objective methods to decide what is and what is not irresponsible, it would be a function of what is best suited to maintain your health during situations of extreme heat. Here's were it gets a bit ironic. In most western societies, we respond to heat by removing more and more clothing until we are left with the minimum of whatever we or those around us consider decent. In hotter climates, on the other hand, a cultural proclivity towards loose fitting, layered clothing such as robes has developed. These serve to keep the heating effects of the sun at bay, while allowing the body's natural tempurature regulating system to work it's wonders. So as far as clothing is concerned, it's all a matter of where you're from.
iluvkitty

Pro

You are only pointing out the severe consequences of winter, which is potentially uncommon. The top health concerns of summer are not just those and there are much more severe concerns like nausea. Concerns like sun burn, dehydration and heat stroke may very well be prevented but not cured. It is difficult to get dehydrated in Winter- it uncommon. However, you can get hypothermia. With temperatures soaring Summer, dehydration and heat illnesses can effect you dramatically and can subsequently kill you. Heat-related dehydration is a big problem in summer. And if you're active — even if you're healthy — you're at risk. Thirst isn't always the best clue that it's time to take a drink.

Considering your opinion: 'it's all a matter of where your from'- this still does not contradict to the fact that taking more and more clothes off is irresponsible. It is a thing that most people fall into as an act of stupidity. A lot of clothing in winter protects you. When it is summer, people take more and more clothes on yet still the heat flows into your body. It is hardly protecting yourself. This clearly shows winter is of better standard than summer.
ClearlyClaire

Con

What we are debating here is if winter is intrinsically better than summer or if it is not. People's education on the matter and their steps to take during these two seasons notwithstanding. There are plenty of people who do things that place them at higher risk for illness or harm all year round, winter is no exception. And you keep using the word irresponsible for how people dress during the summer without addressing what is irresponsible about it.

Cold weather has higher risk of frost bite, pneumonia, seasonal depression, vitamin K deficiency, all the while most of summer's problems remain in effect. Additionally, of the main causes for residential fires, heating sources account for the second most deaths in home fires behind smoking [1] . . . and people are more likely to smoke inside when it's freezing out.

As for summer and health, there are exactly two things you need to do:
1. Protect yourself from the sun.
2. Stay hydrated.

Whether you accomplish the first one through the use of clothing or sunblock is up to you. but the second point is simple of all, drink lots of water. I've spent a little over two years in the middle east thanks to two deployments with the U.S. Army, and I can tell you that 120F weather and up is no joke, especially when you're wearing heavy boots, calf high socks, long pants and sleeves, body armor, and a whole lot of metal. You know what? In all that time, not only did I not become a heat casualty, but only a couple of soldiers in the massive unit I deployed with did. The cause? Not drinking enough water. Hydration is your best friend in the summer. [2] Of course, we're talking extreme summer here. Summer in most of the US (certainly in the UK) doesn't get that hot except for a few extreme circumstances.

All this while, we've been talking about harm to your body directly due to the season, but there's more than that. Roads can become iced over during the winter which is a massive hazard to drivers. Anti-icing measures can alleviate that somewhat in cities, but rural areas are largely still a risk. Not only that, but de-icing agents are harsh on your car. Often times salt is used which can pit the paint and encourage rust. And let's not forget that pipes can freeze in your home and burst and ice-laden trees can collapse in part or in whole and cause damage to buildings, cars, utility grids, and people. These things aren't a factor in summer at all!

I'd say I'm sticking to my point that summer is better, and we haven't even gotten to the positive sides of each season yet.

[1] http://www.nfpa.org...
[2] http://phc.amedd.army.mil...
iluvkitty

Pro

iluvkitty forfeited this round.
ClearlyClaire

Con

I feel like it's bad form for me to go on posting arguments when my oponent has not had the opportunity to respond to the existing ones.
What happened to Pro? Did he forget? Did he quit?

Not likely, I think.

I think this can be explained only by a gaping black hole appearing withing Pro's living room. A cold devoueror of all that lives, summoned and set upon pro by Cthulu himself. Pro has been sucked into the dark void where he must do battle against the unevolved alongside his trusted companion and best friend, Wargreymon. Fight on, brave Pro, we all have faith in you! We know that you are the earth's last hope in this epic battle and there is no doubt that you will overcome!

I will still be here when you get back, good sir.

For everyone else, have a picture of a kitten frolicking in the grass in summer.

Isn't that cute?
iluvkitty

Pro

iluvkitty forfeited this round.
ClearlyClaire

Con

Ladies, Gentlemen, and various unassigned or miscelaneous or blended genders,

I regret to inform you that Pro's battle with the Unevolved is taking longer than expected. Fear not, though, for through the power of his courage and the purity of his heart, Pro will surely prevail. meanwhile, in the rest of the galaxy, the death toll keeps piling uo as Cthulu's other minions wreak havoc upon all inhabited worlds.

Will Pro defeat the unevolved?
Can Pro recover what the galaxy has lost?
Will Pro eventually face down Cthulu himself?!?

Tune in next week for another exciting episode of "Random stuff Con makes up while using her computer at work."

So until next time, have another picture of a kitten frolicking in the summer.

Look at that little guy go!
iluvkitty

Pro

Sorry I had not been able to reply to your argument- had no Internet for ages! Those kittens are so cute and cats are my favourite animals in the whole world!

Anyway, winter is the better holiday because of the temperature. Since it's cold, you use energy to warm yourself up. It will help with your system growing stronger. In the summer, you sweat losing hydration. There are a lot of sports to do in winter plus it is fun to play in snow. Some people don't like to go outside in winter so I find it brings the family closer together.

There are naturally forming ice crystals to awe and admire in winter. It invites imagination and curiosity. Also no two snow flakes are the same and I find that rather fascinating. I adore the wonderful patterns the frost makes on the windows. I love either watching rain pouring down like a shower or rain pitter pattering on the floor. The wild wind makes the trees look like they are dancing. Winter is a place where wonder and mysteries take place.

In summer people can be exposed to getting strokes and degustation more in the summer. Summer targets everyone with severe illnesses especially at kids.

Everyone loves hot chocolate but you can't enjoy it in summer. In winter, you can appreciate the hot chocolate because it makes you warmer and it is yummy!

In conclusion, winter is beautiful, safer and much more fun!

Please vote for me. Pretty please!!!
ClearlyClaire

Con

ClearlyClaire forfeited this round.
Posted by iluvkitty 1 year ago
iluvkitty
thanks- i hate it when internet goes down. It's sooo annoying!
Posted by ClearlyClaire 1 year ago
ClearlyClaire
The internet went down for me as well for a couple of days. Kuwaiti internet sucks in general though. Good debate.
Posted by iluvkitty 1 year ago
iluvkitty
I forgot to mention in my debate that:

There are a lot of careless drivers around these days and with the icy/snowy roads, it could help them become more careful and responsible about the way that they drive. Driving is also a risk in Summer because sunlight could cause them to crash and distracts the driver, which means they can't see. Plus the warmth could make the driver ill and not concentrate or focus on driving.

Thank you
Posted by iluvkitty 1 year ago
iluvkitty
qqqqqqqqqwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrttyyyyyyyyuuuuuiiiiiiioooooooooooooppppppppppppaaaaaaaaaaaasddddddddddddddddddddddddddfffffffffffggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhjjjjjjjjjsssssssskkkkkkkkkkkkllllllllllllzzzzzxcvvvvvvvvvvvbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbnmmm
Posted by iluvkitty 1 year ago
iluvkitty
mrs D Read it, it is a rhyme- really catchy!
mrs I Have you guys read this book called 'Kaspar the prince of cats'? It's sooo good!
mrs f Michael Morpurgo is my favourite author. What is yours?
f
I
mrs C
mrs U
mrs L
T
Y