Heathen
Extremely-Far-Right

Winter is the best season of all.

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

Heathen

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

Winter is the best season out of all four, it gets way too hot in the Summer, and I find Spring and Fall to just be annoying transition periods so those two dont even count. The lack of bugs makes it great as well, plus snow and we have Christmas and New Years. Winter is just a great time.

Good luck friend.
Extremely-Far-Right

Con

I thank my opponent for this debate.

I personally think that there isn't a best season but if you were to choose and look at it from an intellectual angle, I would say that Summer is the best season. Ok, here we go...

You mention that Spring and Fall are two annoying transition periods and that they don't really count or have any significance. Even if you disliked Spring and Fall to the bottom of your heart, you can't say that they shouldn't even bear any significance. If Spring and Fall (the two seasons in between winter) weren't to count, you wouldn't even have your favorite month to enjoy! The temperature change from Summer to Winter would be very fast. If you were to keep the four seasons that we have now, it would be a slow transfer of temperature change. That would be better not just for us humans, but also for all the animals and the environment in general. The season transfer can't just be between Summer and Winter. That would be very detrimental to the earth, and scientifically impossible. The temperature change would be too much for the Earth to handle. I shall use a human as an example. Whenever a human transfers from a cold environment and a hot environment very rapidly, it causes the body to go into shock, among other things as well. A similar detrimental result could to the earth if that very same thing were to happen.

You mention that snow is a positive aspect of winter. Now, while it may be a positive aspect for children and fun to play with, that doesn't outweigh the factor that snow is a major cause of automobile accidents. Would you rather risk the possibility of having some entertainment over the possibility of losing your life? Snow increases car-insurance and causes the driver of the car to have less control and he/she can't see properly. That causes the car driver to become increasingly dangerous to himself and others. Snow is certainly not a good aspect about winter.

Winter also is historically associated with colder temperatures. Colder temperatures means more hypothermia and frostbite. That means more deaths related to those conditions. There are countless other conditions that are associated specifically with cold temperatures but I shall only stick to the better known ones.

You say that we have Christmas and New Years in Winter. While those two holidays are very great, lets see some of the ones we are missing:
Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, and Thanksgiving Day.

Now, here are the reasons why Summer beats Winter.

First, the children are out of school.
Second, a lot more construction is able to get done.
Third, you can swim, which provides relief for people with paralysis, such as FDR.
Fourth, generally it is a good time to plan for vacations because a lot of people not just children get off at this time. This creates an excellent atmosphere where everyone in the family can have fun together.
Finally, Summer causes a very real energy change to many people. It causes people to go outside and enjoy the environment, instead of being inside all the time. It allows people to wear minimal clothes and still be comfortable and have excellent mobility, as oppossed to wearing heavy clothes and have slow mobility.

http://anewscafe.com...
http://www.car-accidents.com...
http://www.highbeam.com...
Heathen

Pro

I thank my opponent for his argument.

Its not that I dont want spring and fall to exist, I just dont want to deal with them. Now you mentioned that snow is a big problem with cars, I don't drive so it's really no problem to me. Ok, now you said that colder tempatures means more temperature related deaths, which is true, but it only happens if you stay out side or are not smart about clothing or get yourself soaking wet. The summer has temperature related deaths as well, heat stroke is a very serious problem.

Now, all of those holidays you mentioned, how many of them do you celebrate? One maybe two, and you dont celebrate as big as Christmas and NewYears.

Reasons against your reasons:

I dont care about the children.
We dont need any more construction.
Indoor Pool
Vacations are annoying.
I'm more active in the winter than in the summer, its way too hot in summer, It sucks the want out of me, and I like wearing heavy clothes.
Extremely-Far-Right

Con

I thank Pro for his response.

Pro said, "I don't drive so it's really no problem to me." Are you going to be driving ever in the near future? If you won't be driving, will you be using a bike, or running/walking? Snow would be much more of a nuisance to you if you were directly exposed to the snow. Also, tires from cars have greater traction from snow than tires from bikes do.

But lets go on and support the idea that you won't ever drive and that you will be doing some other type of transportation for the rest of your life, what do you feel about all the other millions of people that have to drive in the snow? Do you care about them at all?

Here is a problem that I notice...

You said, "Ok, now you said that colder tempatures means more temperature related deaths, which is true, but it only happens if you stay out side or are not smart about clothing or get yourself soaking wet."
If you aren't going to be driving a car, you will be directly exposed to the snow and temperature, therefore becoming cold and possibly dying.

Reasons against your reasons that were originally against my reasons:
1. You say you don't care about children but yet you are one based on your profile information.

2. You say we don't need need construction, but what about all the damage that snow and rain do to our buildings every year?

3. Well in an indoor pool you have to have chlorine and other chemicals that are painful if swallowed in large amounts, and what about children that will swallow them? Also, you will need to have very large indoor pools to accommodate the population of people who like to swim since there won't be any outdoor swimming.

4. You are only stating what YOU think. Can you get a poll showing that most people don't like vacations?

5. You mention that your only more active in the winter, but what about the rest of the world's population? For most of these arguments, you are only stating your personal likes and dislikes, but for a season to truly be "better" than the other season, don't you think you would need more people preferring this season over the season(s) that I support and not just only what YOU think?
Heathen

Pro

I thank Con for his response.

Granted I willbe driving soon, I am not a bad driver in snow, I have driven in heavy snow and it does not bother me.

No, I dont care about them.

I would be exposed to the cold if I walked or rode a bike but not for long enough to actually do any damege, I could simply make sure that I am not exposed for a prolonged period of time.

Reasons against your reasons that were originally against my reasons against your reasons:

1. True, I'm only 17 and still in school but that doesnt make me care any more.

2. Those are repairs, not construction.

3. Outdoor pools have just as much chlorine as indoor pools do.

4. Im aware that Im stating what I think, and no, I cant find a poll.

5. I dont know about the rest of the worlds population, its all a matter of opinion really.

I realize that I will probably loose this debate, you have supported facts and arguments and brought sources into this and have done an overall better job supporting your side. Good job.
Extremely-Far-Right

Con

Well said Pro.

Pro says, "I would be exposed to the cold if I walked or rode a bike but not long enough to actually do any damage, I could simply make sure that I am not exposed for a prolonged period of time."

What if you have to travel the same distance that you would otherwise do with a car? It would be a very long time, since you won't be moving fast enough to match the cars speed. Also, let us just say that the distance you were going to be traveling was even long with a car, that means that you will definitely be exposed to the cold for a much longer time than any one of us thought possible. I know that you can say you would not make sure that you are exposed for a long period of time, but what if you had to travel that way and there aren't any rest stops or breaks? What then?

Reasons against your reasons that were against my reasons that were originally against your reasons against my reasons:

1. 17 years old is considered a child.

2. Construction is to construct via parts. Construct (according to thefreedictionary.com) means to form by assembling parts. You can still repair by doing that because it is still in sense assembling parts.

3. I was talking in reference to oceans, lakes, or rivers.

4. Find a poll, then your information will be more convincing.

5. But for a season to be declared the "best season of all", it would truly have to show characteristics of what many should think the best season should have. Summer is the only one that has the capability of that right now.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
Posted by Aldric_Winterblade 3 years ago
Aldric_Winterblade
If Debate.org didn't suck and had given me support with getting my confirmation text, I would vote Pro, since winter is the best... but since I can't I will just say... WINTER ROCKS!!
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 3 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
HeathenExtremely-Far-RightTied
Reasons for voting decision: "I realize that I will probably loose this debate, you have supported facts and arguments and brought sources into this and have done an overall better job supporting your side. Good job." - conduct anyway
Vote Placed by XStrikeX 3 years ago
XStrikeX
HeathenExtremely-Far-RightTied
Reasons for voting decision: Same reason as OreEle's reason.
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 3 years ago
Ore_Ele
HeathenExtremely-Far-RightTied
Reasons for voting decision: well, this was interesting. I guess "fun" would be a good word for it. Since the debate seemed entirely focused on personal opinions, there isn't much to do with it. I felt that Con did a bad job arguing against the resolution, but that Pro did a far worse job arguing in favor for it.