sahaam
Khan.s1996

Woman should be able to drive in Saudi Arabia

sahaam

sahaam

Pro

I believe that Woman should be able to drive in Saudi Arabia.
Studies show that woman are better than men at parking there cars and even driving cars. Here is a link to prove my point:http://seriousfacts.com...

It is all about equal rights. If men can drive,woman should drive. I'm not saying that woman are better than men,where equal both sharing the same world,but woman should have the right to do what men can do.

Another point is that Saudi women live under male guardianship rules that put many restrictions on their lives. The judiciary still does not recognize them. Women need to get the driving ban out of the way so they can deal with the bigger issues of inequality.

Also lack of transportation is a main hurdle to decrease the high unemployment rate among Saudi women which reached 36 percent last year.

My last point is that "Islamic Sharia does not have a text forbidding women driving," Sheikh Abdulatif al-Alsheikh, chief of Saudi religious police, told Reuters last week.

In conclusion for round one, I say that Woman should be able to drive in Saudi Arabia.

Good luck to my opponent and if you are using any links to prove a point in the debate you must use a reliable source. That means no Wikipedia,Yahoo,YouTube and so on.

Khan.s1996

Con

I would like to respectively accept this debate. I shall be taking the side of "women should not be able to drive in Saudi Arabia".
First of all I would like to thank you for clearing up that women and driving have nothing to do with Islam. Saudi Arabia where they take their religion and culture very seriously. As a Saudi born I would like to inform you with some things that you might not have taken into perspective. Due to popular belief, women not being able to drive is not sexist at all and the Saudis are not degrading women by doing so. Saudis think of women as queens and treat them with upmost respect, please take into consideration that I am not speaking for every Saudi when I say this it is merely a majority that believe this. A queen deserves to sit back and enjoy the ride. Saudi Arabia shouldn't conform to the globalized agenda of the west. I think you would find it odd to see that the women of Saudi Arabia wouldn't believe with you either :http://www.theguardian.com...
(P.s. This is my every first post on this site :) )
sahaam

Pro

1st of all my opponent has said: Saudis think of women as queens and treat them with up most respect, please take into consideration that I am not speaking for every Saudi when I say this it is merely a majority that believe this. A queen deserves to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Its good that their trying to treat them as queens but I believe that banning them from driving is forcing them to do something.So your not treating them as queens because some woman want to drive and you are forcing them not to.You don't force your queen to do something.

I know that some woman don't want to drive and agree with this.That is perfectly fine for it is there own decision. But what about the woman that want to drive? Instead of banning woman from driving couldn't the government say that woman who want to drive shall drive and woman that don't want to drive don't need to drive.Here is a link showing about some woman that want to drive:http://www.newyorker.com...
If you didn't wish to click the link then it just showed that some woman were protesting for the right to drive. The Saudi men should listen to there queens.

Now I know you were born in Saudi Arabia,so you probably think its right. But I myself am an Arab and don't agree with it.

I thank my opponent and good luck for round 2.

In conclusion I say that Woman should be able to drive in Saudi Arabia.
Khan.s1996

Con

The main topic I will be focusing on here is cultural differences. There is a huge problem with people not understanding others cultures and in return alienate them from society. Saudis do not allow women to drive because they feel as if their culture will be threatened. Saudi Arabia is one of the few places in the world which has defended it self from globalization (western culture). If a women does drive there is no donut that she will be bombarded with hate, a big price to pay for driving if you ask me. Think of the long term problems that this can create for women in the kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Your position on women being better drivers than men or vice versa isn't relevant here so I will not be taking that into consideration for the simple fact that it is bias.
sahaam

Pro

My opponent has said: Saudi Arabia is one of the few places in the world which has defended it self from globalization (western culture).

Woman driving is not in western culture.It is in most culture except for the Saudi culture. Iraq and Iran are not western and yet there woman are aloud to drive.If Saudi Arabia makes woman drive it will not automatically change it to western culture.Instead it is making your "queen" more equal with men.

You will still have your culture because Saudis fight for there culture,they fight for it so much that they make woman less equal to men.

I believe that men are doing it for themselves.How come in western culture woman and men can drive but in Saudi Arabia only men can drive couldn't they have at least made men and woman not drive.

My opponent has also stated: If a women does drive there is no doubt that she will be bombarded with hate, a big price to pay for driving if you ask me.

This is not acceptable in my own opinion.A "queen" can do what she wants but you are basically forcing woman not to drive when some of them want to,and if they do drive they will be bombarded with hate.There is nothing wrong with making a woman drive.

Also some woman have no husbands to drive them places,and some of there fathers may not be able to take them for they are old or busy.A man cant always be there to take a woman some where. A woman needs her own independence.She cant always rely on a man to take her places and do things for her.Sometimes even the men might get annoyed for driving her around everywhere.

I thank my opponent for this debate and wish him all the best.
In conclusion I believe that woman SHOULD be able to drive in Saudi Arabia.
Khan.s1996

Con

I think you have taken the word "queen" into a legitimate statement, it was simply an example to make you understand better on which side I'm coming from.
I would like to stress upon the fact that the Saudi culture forbids a women to drive. That doesn't mean that women are totally oppressed, Saudi citizens will however bash on those women who drive, if you agree with this or not it will happen and it's a fact.
There's a lot of things one defines as "wrong" in others cultures but it's what they believe in and are proud of it.
A lot of your arguments came across as being extremely minor such as the man being annoyed by driving a women everywhere, that is not a legitimate scenario to take into consideration when voting on this debate.
Again, I would like you to think about the long term problems that this can cause for women in a society where they forbid driving, will that women be able to survive and prosper in such a society?
When you vote I would like you to put yourself in a Saudis shoes and really think of the impact that this can have.
Lastly I would like to thank my opponent and the people who have been following this debate. Thank you
Posted by sahaam 3 years ago
sahaam
to bubbatheclown

That is very true.
Posted by bubbatheclown 3 years ago
bubbatheclown
Those women who are "treated like queens" are beaten by the police if they show their face.
Posted by sahaam 3 years ago
sahaam
to jay-D

I see.sorry if I offended you. but it has been proven that woman are more safer on the road making them better drivers than men. But truly men are more skill full.
Posted by Khan.s1996 3 years ago
Khan.s1996
Just realized I made a few grammar errors ! Sorry about that
Posted by Jay-D 3 years ago
Jay-D
@sahaam
I never said women shouldn't be able to drive in SA; i completely agree with you. What I don't agree with is your statement that women are the better drivers.
Posted by ModerateLiberalism 3 years ago
ModerateLiberalism
Not only myself, but all self-respecting females (I'm a male). If your opinion was based on nuanced fact you'd realize that women can be just as good as men at driving and often are, especially in terms of safety, but culturally speaking, men are more inclined to drive recreationally and competitively.
ModerateLiberalism
This is as tight as it gets, actually. A similar case would be "women in Romania should be permitted to consume potatoes." Or "Latinos should be allowed to watch Game of Thrones"
Yeah people think women shouldn't drive. But their arguments are inane. People believe the world is flat too.
Posted by sahaam 3 years ago
sahaam
to ModerateLiberalism:
I believe that this is not a tight case because lots of men believe that woman shouldnt drive in saudi arabia even some woman believe that! believe it or not. (no hard feelings by the way)
Posted by sahaam 3 years ago
sahaam
to Jay-D, if you believe that woman shouldnt be able to drive in saudi arabia then accept the challenge. Dont debate on the comments
Posted by Jay-D 3 years ago
Jay-D
@ModerateLiberalism
I know that about half the world may disagree with me, but I have my views, and I rarely base them on anything other than facts and personal observation.
If, by "some people" beginning to take issue you mean yourself, then you're always welcome to challenge me.
Vote Placed by wateva232 3 years ago
wateva232
sahaamKhan.s1996Tied
Reasons for voting decision: The only really good argument in this entire debate was made by Pro that women should have their independence. Con had a very weak reply by saying put yourself in Saudi shoes when he has not given any justifications for why women can't drive in Saudi Arabia. Conduct is tied; S&G is tied as well; Convincing arguments goes to Pro since Con really did not justify the system and claimed that Saudi stood against western globalization which is a false notion. Also Con claimed that they don't allow women to drive because it threatens their culture, which is another very superficial argument and makes Saudi culture very weak that women driving will threaten it. Thus convincing arguments goes to Pro; Reliable sources is a tie. Neither really provided that good of a source.
Vote Placed by Jay-D 3 years ago
Jay-D
sahaamKhan.s1996Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro was very well-behaved, but had horrible S&G. On taking a closer look, Con's S&G isn't so superior that he deserves one whole point. At one point, he mis-spelt doubt as donut. So I'm not awarding any points in S&G. I agree with the voter preceding me in that both sides made mostly superficial arguments. However, Con's arguments hardly included anything other than a description of the existing system in Saudi Arabia. He hasn't adequately justified the system either. Con also went turncoat on his "women are queens" argument. Con's single source was as good as both of those provided by Pro, so I'm tying that too.
Vote Placed by whiteflame 3 years ago
whiteflame
sahaamKhan.s1996Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I don't think either side is arguing this particularly well. Both debaters give very superficial arguments without much in the way of depth or warrants. I'd like to hear why women's rights will advance further after they are allowed to drive, but I don't. I'd like to hear why driving in and of itself is such an important right, but it don't, or at least not nearly enough. Meanwhile, from Con, I have this argument that making it possible for women to drive will only cause them more problems and, perhaps, increase their oppression. This isn't well-warranted either, but I don't have as many steps to get to that point with this argument as I do with Pro's. And since it's Pro's burden to support the resolution, this is really harmful to his case. So while I find myself in firm opposition to Con's arguments, I can't utilize Pro's arguments to show where the holes are, and as such, I must give it to Con for having the stronger point in the debate.