AFO
Atheism_Debater

Women Should Be Required To Change their Last Name to Their Male Spouses

Atheism_Debater

AFO

Pro

Women should have to change their last name to male spouses.
AFO

Pro

Women need to accept that it is a well-known tradition for females to take their husbands last name. Only self-centered and feminist women believe that they should keep their surname. How horrible is it for a child to have two last names.
Atheism_Debater

Con

Thank you for that response Pro.

“Women need to accept that it is a well-known tradition for females to take their husbands last name.”

Why do women need to accept this? Why is this a tradition? This is not a good tradition because it limits the couple’s choice in choosing their name.

“Only self-centered and feminist women believe that they should keep their surname.”

This seems sexist. I know many males that believe that women should not keep their surname, and they are not feminist or self-centered.

“How horrible is it for a child to have two last names.”

This is an opinion. A child might want to have two last names.

Arguments:

“The tradition of changing one's name, as you've been told a bazillion times, has its roots in the idea that women give up their rights to own property and exist as a separate entity from their husbands when they marry.” (1)

It is discriminatory to require women to change their last names for only a tradition. Laws should not be based on traditions, especially a tradition as prejudice as this.

Conclusion:

I ran out of time this time in the debate, hence the short response. I look forward to my opponent’s response and wish him luck in the rest of the debate.

AFO

Pro

"Why do women need to accept this? Why is this a tradition? This is not a good tradition because it limits the couple"s choice in choosing their name."

This is a well-known tradition, dating as far back when surnames are created. It is a good tradition because it is the males surnames. If they both do not like they can change it to whatever they please.

"This seems sexist. I know many males that believe that women should not keep their surname, and they are not feminist or self-centered."

It may sound sexist but I am certainly not trying to. I have never met a male who encouraged women to keep their last names.
Atheism_Debater

Con

“This is a well-known tradition, dating as far back when surnames are created. It is a good tradition because it is the males surnames.

This doesn’t even answer the question. And just because it is the male’s surname does not mean it is a good tradition.

“If they both do not like they can change it to whatever they please.”

But that goes against the title of the debate. Unless I am misunderstanding it.

“I have never met a male who encouraged women to keep their last names.”

This is not a valid argument and I can combat it by saying that I have met many males that encourage women to keep their last names.

Vote Con!

Posted by Diqiucun_Cunmin 2 years ago
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Women changing their last names to their husbands' is a very culture-specific thing. We don't do it here.
Vote Placed by tylergraham95 2 years ago
tylergraham95
AFOAtheism_DebaterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro presented zero net benefits for his position rather he merely asserts that the tradition is good. Con calls him out on his lack of support and reasoning for this claim so pros argument falls flat. Con contends net negative of sexism and pro fails to respond. Therefore args go to con. Everything else was even.