christ88
InquireTruth

Women and Men should not have equal rights...

christ88

Pro

This is not a true debate. Don't get me wrong I plan to reopen this debate (click my profile and look up my old one if you'd like). However, last time I did this with "first come" debating I got the worst debated alive. Honestly, with how bad the argument was I was surprised they would join a site like debate.org let alone know how to use a computer.

This debate is just for the comments. Tell me, as short as possible (don't need to read a ton thanks), why you should be the person to argue against me. I want to argue against the best. I would love nothing better than to have my a$$ (apparently donkeys are not allowed to be stated at debate.org) handed to me by a brilliant argument and have my mind convinced I'm a sexist pig and women are better than me :). So do it, give me the best reason why I should debate this with you.
InquireTruth

Con

You should debate me.
I will show why you are holding onto the remnants of a patriarchal past - an era of grave intolerance and discrimination. I will not "prove" that women are better, to do such would defeat the idea of equality. But to think that the woman who held you in her womb for 9 months somehow birthed a child who had inherently more right to have, do, and pursue the things of the world than she, is pointblank preposterous . What is it in you that says, "because the dice rolled X and Y, I have more rights as a guy?"

Also, with are Judeo-Christian roots as a western civilization, and since 82% of the US population consider themselves Christian(1), what would the Bible say about unequal rights? Galations 3:28 "For there is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male or female, for all are one is Christ Jesus."

The only case you can make is that men and women are distinct in functionality - anatomically this case can be made. But such function does not mean women are not equal in worth and essence and deserve absolute equal rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

The thirteenth amendment was ratified in order to abolish slavery - because it was unfair and unequal. But some confederate states decided to pass "black codes" to restrict blacks from participating fully in society - that is where the fourteenth amendment trumped in. It made sure that all people were seen as created equal. Why see it any differently?

1[http://www.adherents.com...]
Posted by InquireTruth 9 years ago
InquireTruth
My religious comment was more tangential than anything else. I was covering my bases. If you wish to leave religion out of it, completely, then we will.
Posted by christ88 9 years ago
christ88
Ahh I enjoy losing debates to which there is no argument... Just like somehow my opponent in the last equal rights debate got 13 votes for her very insightful "women are mentally strong than men"...

Mmm.. who to choose... religion is a bit problematic in this argument I believe, but other than that, I feel as Inquiretruth answered first I should debate him.

Religion, first off, is going off the basis that a god exists which would naturally be a completely different debate, though looking thru your debates I see that you had compelling reasons for a god to exist. And yes, most of the US may believe in one God, but I'm not talking about the US. This is more of a "if there was a worldwide government, the rights should not be equal".

I don't need an argument now, I just want to know if you, inquiretruth, can give me an argument for the equality of women without bringing religion in as a main reason?
Posted by snicker_911 9 years ago
snicker_911
Maya, by "he" being used so many times in the Bible, it's jut a figure of speech. Do you think Jesus Christ meant "the one that has not sinned, may throw the first stone" literally? Meaning: You shall not stone her [in the story it was a woman], because everyone makes mistakes, everyone sins, basically and that He forgives everyone. The Bible uses "he" just because God is our Father and He is referred to as "He".

"Every man for himself"- figure of speech. it's just easier than saying "every man or woman for him or herself".
Posted by snicker_911 9 years ago
snicker_911
The Creation states that God just happened to create man first. Big deal--but Dear old Adam needed a companion so He made woman next. The Bible is not sexist. The people were. we're too full of sin.
Posted by InquireTruth 9 years ago
InquireTruth
Maya, I would be more than willing to debate you on the topic of whether the Bible is sexist. You having a problem with animal sacrifice is another deck of cards. The Bible is clear that women are equal in worth, form and essence, but distinct in function. Remember, not everything in the Bible is prescription, many of it, especially in the Old Testament, is merely description.
Posted by Maya9 9 years ago
Maya9
He's going to use the Bible as a defense against sexism? That's laughable. The Bible is one of the most sexist books out there.

Here is a little slice from Leviticus, which not only draws a clear distinction between the value of males and females but also encourages (demands, actually) animal sacrifice to appease God:

"4:22 When a ruler hath sinned, and done somewhat through ignorance against any of the commandments of the LORD his God concerning things which should not be done, and is guilty

4:23 Or if his sin, wherein he hath sinned, come to his knowledge; he shall bring his offering, a kid of the goats, a male without blemish

4:24 And he shall lay his hand upon the head of the goat, and kill it in the place where they kill the burnt offering before the LORD: it is a sin offering.

4:25 And the priest shall take of the blood of the sin offering with his finger, and put it upon the horns of the altar of burnt offering, and shall pour out his blood at the bottom of the altar of burnt offering.

4:26 And he shall burn all his fat upon the altar, as the fat of the sacrifice of peace offerings: and the priest shall make an atonement for him as concerning his sin, and it shall be forgiven him.

4:27 And if any one of the common people sin through ignorance, while he doeth somewhat against any of the commandments of the LORD concerning things which ought not to be done, and be guilty;

4:28 Or if his sin, which he hath sinned, come to his knowledge: then he shall bring his offering, a kid of the goats, a female without blemish, for his sin which he hath sinned."
Posted by DevinRichardson1 9 years ago
DevinRichardson1
haha, well there is a good case against you - http://www.debate.org...

I think Beem0r pinned you pretty well.
Posted by LakevilleNorthJT 9 years ago
LakevilleNorthJT
I do not have multiple accounts.
(cough)
|
|
\ /
V
Posted by InquireTruth 9 years ago
InquireTruth
I do not have multiple accounts.
(cough)
|
|
\ /
V
Posted by LakevilleNorthJT 9 years ago
LakevilleNorthJT
Debate me because i will hand a "donkey" to you by giving a brilliant argument and have your mind convinced your a sexist pig and women are better than you. :)

1. I will not forfeit a single round. I haven't done so in the past and won't do so in the future.

2. I will most definetely be more competition than that other girl.

3. I will form my own logical arguments and respond to yours which will lead into a great debate on issues not opinion.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
christ88InquireTruthTied
Vote Placed by Awed 7 years ago
Awed
christ88InquireTruthTied
Vote Placed by PwnzorDebaterLyncher 8 years ago
PwnzorDebaterLyncher
christ88InquireTruthTied
Vote Placed by patsox834 8 years ago
patsox834
christ88InquireTruthTied
Vote Placed by Gmoney 8 years ago
Gmoney
christ88InquireTruthTied
Vote Placed by Steven123 8 years ago
Steven123
christ88InquireTruthTied
Vote Placed by Agnostic 8 years ago
Agnostic
christ88InquireTruthTied
Vote Placed by tribefan011 8 years ago
tribefan011
christ88InquireTruthTied
Vote Placed by Youngblood 8 years ago
Youngblood
christ88InquireTruthTied
Vote Placed by girlforgod21 8 years ago
girlforgod21
christ88InquireTruthTied