EthyWoo
Blade-of-Truth

Women are naturally happier in a 1950s style household.

Blade-of-Truth

EthyWoo

Pro

I will argue that the AVERAGE women is happier in a style of marriage similar to that of common the 1950s marriage (the man works and the women cooks cleans etc)

I am not arguing that it's the way all women want to live just the vast majority

The is my first debate so well see how it goes.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

Hello and welcome to debate.org!

I want to thank you for instigating this thought-provoking debate. I believe this will be a very fun debate since I'll be playing devil's advocate.

I accept the debate and now return the floor to Pro for his opening arguments.
EthyWoo

Pro

Thankyou very much, here I go

1 - I Believe women enjoy giving up control to someone they trust, by giving up control women are able to free themselves of the burden of choice. I believe this is so important to women because of the history of women, looking back we can see that for as long as there where males and females, that females have had the minority of choice in relationships and did not carry the burden of focusing on basic survival as their male counterparts took care of that for them.

due to this long history I believe that the natural instinct of a female is geared towards finding a suitable protector who can take leadership in a relationship and free the from the burden of choice. (You can see this in the way women flocked to the 50 shades of grey book, the fact that women prefer males to choose where they go for dinner, or the way a women loves it when you pick her cloths out for a date)

With that point in hand I'll say that a 50s style relationship offers a lot of what a women is looking for, the control, the lightend responsibilities etc are all things that women want and need. By not going to work women don't have to worry about basic survival, by having simple and safe jobs like cleaning and cooking women can feel safe while still feeling productive and proud, by be of "service" per say , to their husband women enjoy more primal and ingrained relationship styles which means they will find more fulfilment in said relationships.

My point is backed up by a study which has found women's general level of happiness has been decreasing since the 70s, this could be put down to the feminist movement and all of the extra responsibility for women.

2 - this thirst for control can also be found in the bedroom with women enjoying activity which limit their control.
For example the most popular fetish among women, Bondage.

Take the floor my friend.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

I thank Pro for his opening arguments. I will now start with rebuttals and then move into my own arguments.

Rebuttals

"Women enjoy giving up control to someone they trust."

Pro justifies his first claim by relying on history, essentially saying that this claim is valid because throughout history it's always been the man who carried the burden of choice/focusing on basic survival. This claim, however, lacks proof. Relying on what the norms could have *potentially* been during ancient times is not sufficient proof. Furthermore, this is essentially claiming that because it's been like this throughout history, it should remain so now in the present moment. If we carried this mentality and applied it to all aspects of life, we'd end up a stagnant species still living in caves with twigs for tools since "that's what it was like back in the day". A major error in Pro's logic is the assumption that our society is still amicable with the social norms of the 50's.

The lack of proof continues further with his claim that "You can see this in the way women flocked to the 50 shades of grey book, the fact that women prefer males to choose where they go for dinner, or the way a women loves it when you pick her cloths out for a date." How does women's preference in books serve as proof that women are naturally happier in a 1950s style household? Pro gives no reasoning to support this leap he makes. The same can be applied for "choosing women's clothes" or "choosing where to eat". Not only is there no proof given to support these claims, but additionally there is no reason to accept these reasons (if valid in the first place) as proof that women are naturally happier in a 1950's style household.

"50s style relationship offers a lot of what a women is looking for, the control, the lightend responsibilities etc are all things that women want and need."

As Pro, my opponent has the burden of proof, that is, he must provide proof for each claim presented by him. Without such proof, there is no reason to accept what Pro presents as anything more than unproven opinions. So, in regards to Pro's second claim, I must simply say prove it, because so far Pro has lacked any and all valid proof for these claims.

I, on the other hand, believe there are many more important things that women want and need from relationships. For instance, a study published in the Journal of Family Psychology shows that relationship satisfaction has a lot to do with the way partners are able to read and empathize with each other’s emotions. For women, that applies more to their negative emotions than their positive ones: women are happy when their boyfriend or partner understands they’re upset. [1]

In another article published by ABCNews, it was shown that the
Women’s top “must haves” in a relationship are the following:
Treats me with respect - 84 percent.
The person is someone I can trust and confide in - 77 percent.
Has a sense of humor/makes me laugh - 58 percent.
Shares the same values as I do - 47 percent.
Is comfortable communicating his wants, needs and desires - 46 percent. [2]

Nowhere does it mention what Pro's believes to be what women want and need the most...

Since Pro has additionally placed the burden of having to show that a "vast majority" of women want what he believes they do, I leave the burden on Pro to uphold his end.

"women's general level of happiness has been decreasing since the 70s, this could be put down to the feminist movement and all of the extra responsibility for women."

Pro claims this is backed by a study, but fails to provide the study itself for both myself and the audience to analyze as proof for the claim. Hopefully Pro includes the study itself in his next round. Pro will also need to show how the supposed decrease in happiness is related to the feminist movement and extra responsibility as well. If he fails to do so, this stands as nothing more than an unproven opinion.

"this thirst for control can also be found in the bedroom with women enjoying activity which limit their control."

This was funny... Pro is using the sexual fetish known as bondage as supporting evidence for his position. Pro needs to show how a "vast majority" of women partake in this activity for it to even stand in the first place. I amusingly await such proof to be presented.

Arguments

I. The negative implications of reverting back to a 1950's style household.

Reverting back to the social norms of the average 1950's household is nothing more than taking a step backwards. For instance, a US Census study out last year found that 4 in 10 American households with children under age 18 have a woman as either the primary or sole breadwinner — a huge jump from earlier decades (and quadruple the amount in 1960). [3] Since Pro took on the burden to show that a "vast majority" like giving up there control, I believe this study directly contradicts his stance on the matter. 6/10 is not a "vast majority". It's barely a majority, and seeing the obvious trend occurring here, it would not be far-stretched at all to argue that within our lifetimes women will be on equal grounds with men in terms of being the breadwinner in the relationship. Why would we go against a trend that allows women to rely on themselves? It makes no sense, nor has there been any justified reason given by Pro.

II. Women don't need to rely on Men in our modern society.

We need to keep in mind that during the 1950's women were still being paid less than men for doing the same job. It wasn't until 1963 that the Equal Pay Act was passed. In some states, women couldn't make contracts such as wills, and in almost every state men were allowed to have sex with their wives anytime they wanted to, with or without their consent. [4] [5] Pro is literally arguing that we should return to those standards. Pro must justify returning to each of those poor standards since they are indeed part of the 1950's style household. I can't wait to hear why men should be able to rape women just because they are their wife.

Furthermore, in terms of "security" we now have defensive technology that empowers women to the point where they don't need to rely on a man for protection. It's as simply as that. A woman can freely purchase a gun for herself, a taser, pepper spray, etc., all of which remove the necessity for a man to be around to serve as a protector.

In closing,

Pro has a massive task ahead of him. A majority of his claims lacked the necessary proof to validate those claims. Pro must also overcome each argument I raised in order to uphold his Burden of Proof and defeat my challenges. As it stands now, I've fully rebutted each point raised by Pro.

I now return the floor to Pro.

[1] http://www.apa.org...
[2] http://abcnews.go.com...
[3] http://www.pewsocialtrends.org...
[4] http://www.ehow.com...
[5] http://faculty.atu.edu...
EthyWoo

Pro

EthyWoo forfeited this round.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

My opponent has forfeited the final round. Thus failing to affirm the resolution and failing to maintain his Burden of Proof.

I have presented several arguments, as well as rebutted each point Pro raised, all of which remains standing unchallenged.

For these reasons, I urge a vote for Con.

Posted by 9spaceking 1 year ago
9spaceking
lol, I voted before I read the debate....XD
Posted by EthyWoo 2 years ago
EthyWoo
Thankyou for the tip @RavenDebater ! Much appreciated.
Posted by RavenDebater 2 years ago
RavenDebater
How interesting! I'll be following this one closely! A tip to our new friend here on debate.org. You cite evidence in your opening arguments, but the community here prefers that some sort of link or book citation is included at the end of your speech, so both the opponent and voters can verify your claims. Your new so I won't hold it against you for the first time in my vote, but I would appreciate it if you do this in the future
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
Think Thorazine should play heavy in this debate.
Vote Placed by Lee001 1 year ago
Lee001
EthyWooBlade-of-TruthTied
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 1 year ago
9spaceking
EthyWooBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
EthyWooBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture