RyanS
kylerez

Women could not compete in the vast majority of male dominated sports

Started: 4/11/2016 Category: Sports

RyanS

Pro

Before anyone starts arguing about this issue, you must understand I'm referring to popular American sports such as football, basketball, baseball, hockey, soccer, etc. If you're going to argue "sports" like figure skating or gymnastics, don't waste your time. I created this debate because this is a popular issue that many people do not agree with me on. I'd like for someone to attempt to defend the opposing viewpoint, but I firmly believe men and women's sports should, for many obvious reasons, remain separated.
kylerez

Con

I would love to tackle this argument mostly because I disagree with you. Now please understand... I AM NOT female.. I am a man, who is involved with multiple sports. Women do have the capability to preform the sports men preform.. We don't kick women out of the gym if they consider lifting... because women could eventually do it too... even if more men are interested in it then women. And it's a women's decision.. It's her choice, despite the injuries, risk and such.. ITS HER DECISION. I would continue but you didn't say much, so I didn't know if you really wanted to start but I am here to defend women and men wanting to play sports as one.
RyanS

Pro

You're right, women have the ability to do whatever they want whether it puts their life in danger or not but I feel like you misinterpreted my debate. Recently, I've been hearing more and more about how unfair it is that women are discluded from male dominated sports and how they could compete with the best athletes in the world. Male athletes compete at a completely different level than women. Brittany Griner plays in the WNBA and she broke a league record last year for dunking twice in a game. I'm not discouraging women from pursuing what they want but it's simple biology. If any male and female leagues merged, there would be an extremely low percentage of women playing in this "coed" league. I'm not sexist I'm just being realistic here. There obviously might be the select few women that could make a roster but there will never be a dominant female athlete who plays in a league full of men.
kylerez

Con

"Recently, I've been hearing more and more about how unfair it is that women are discluded from male dominated sports and how they could compete with the best athletes in the world. Male athletes compete at a completely different level than women" Most national/ professional sporting leagues do not allow women to play and they only desire men. For example, the NFL is basically for MEN only. Not women. It is a men's league and it's considered a (men's sport). We have never seen a women actually officially play for a season... Meaning we don't know which "level" they would be/play on. You cannot say Men play on a different "level" then the women who have never played with men. That's just assuming.

"If any male and female leagues merged, there would be an extremely low percentage of women playing in this "coed" league" Good point, but that's not the argument. Even if there is NOT a lot of women playing, the ones that are can still have an opportunity to compete. I also don't agree with you in that statement. Many women are interested in Coed sports and aggressive sports in general. There is even a women coach for the Buffalo Bills and it's encouraging women to stride for Coed sports.

Evidence- http://www.cnn.com...

"never be a dominant female athlete who plays in a league full of men." Why? How would you know? It hasn't really happened yet has it? Women are fast, smart and they can be strong. Much stronger than a lot of men I know. Basketball is a perfect example. Women can be HUGE. A lot of women I know are very tall. Much taller then some guys in the basketball league. Woman do not have a limitation when it comes to performance. They do not have limitations when it comes to aggression as well. Anyone can be strong/aggressive and women could easily have the same perks men have to make it into a league.
RyanS

Pro

First off, women's basketball is like watching an eighth grade team compared to the NBA. Not one WNBA player could make an NBA roster. The average heigth of a WNBA player is 6'. The average heigth in the NBA is 6'7". Men were designed to develop bigger, faster and stronger than women due to evolution. We'll have to agree to disagree, but the answer to the question on who is generally more athletic between genders, males are the obviously the frontrunner.
kylerez

Con

"First off, women's basketball is like watching an eighth grade team compared to the NBA. Not one WNBA player could make an NBA roster."

That's an opinion.

"The average height of a WNBA player is 6'. The average height in the NBA is 6'7". "

Evidence please? Sure women are smaller but you don't need to be tall to play basketball. Sure, you could do better if you were taller, just like you could do better in Soccer if you're faster... but you could still preform well.

"Men were designed to develop bigger, faster and stronger than women due to evolution."

What? Of course they are... but we are talking about the MEN who play sports and the WOMEN that play sports. Not every man that plays a sport is "big" or "aggressive". Meaning a women that is considered "aggressive" could definitely beat a man who isn't. For example, for basketball (professional) men are generally taller... but there are a few select women out there tall could STILL be considered tall... Just because men are "GENERALLY" taller doesn't mean women are not tall.

"We'll have to agree to disagree, but the answer to the question on who is generally more athletic between genders, males are the obviously the frontrunner."

WHAT? The argument WAS NOT... "Men are generally more athletic than females.." Your argument WAS, "Women could not compete in the vast majority of male dominated sports." You proved nothing! Even if a man's usually taller than a women in basketball leagues, women should still have an opportunity to COMPETE. Besides, you're acting like every male athlete is some tall, fast, aggressive, steroid-loving, muscular Hulk Hogan.. For example, you're acting like every basketball player on a NBA is like 7'2. There are some women out there (who play) that are taller than some of the athletes that play in the NBA.

Thank you for this discussion/debate. I enjoyed it.