TheOpinionist
ILoveSitarMusic

Women have the right to free contraception

TheOpinionist

TheOpinionist

Con

I'll be super busy from the 27th to August 10, so lets keep this quick... The contraception would be provided by whatever corporation the woman works for. You in? If so, jump right into your argument, but waive R4, so we have equal debate time

1- Pro argues
2- Con argues Pro rebuts
3- Con rebuts Pro defends argument
4- Con defends argument Pro waives
ILoveSitarMusic

Pro

I should preface my argument with this: I am actually not arguing for free contraception unless someone is low income. My argument is that contraception should be affordable. If someone can pay, they should, but if they cannot, it should be covered by welfare. Denying contraception forces people to have children they are not ready for. Pregnancy would make me suicidal, and I am low income. Should I be forced to give birth? I am not accusing you, I am just saying what I believe. Thanks for the debate, I was bored for a while.
TheOpinionist

Con

I'd like to open by thanking my opponent for this debate. It's my first of this kind, so I'll try to make it good.

Contention 1: The Moral Argument

Why should someone else have to, under any circumstance, pay for your things? It's not their fault that you are low income, nor is it their responsibility to take care of you.

Contention 2: The Financial Argument

It's dirt cheap. Seriously, there are Targets selling contraception at a rate that would cost one $9 per month [1]. Here's a fact: If you're at America's poverty line, you're better off than most of the rest of the world [2].

Contention 3: The one you've heard before
Don't want to have kids? Don't have sex. The argument has been, is, and will be infallible. The choice is ultimately yours to have sex. It's your choice to do it without a condom. It's your choice to admit you've made a bad decision and own up to it.

Contention 4: The anti-entitlement argument:
Nobody is entitled to free stuff. This is a simple argument. Nobody has the right to free stuff because of their gender and the choices they've made.

*when I say "you," I'm not talking about anyone in particular.

Looking forward to my opponent's argument.

1) http://www.theblaze.com...
2) http://www.forbes.com...

ILoveSitarMusic

Pro

There you go putting money before people like a conservative or libertarian would. So you are saying that women who cannot afford contraception should be forced to give birth? People have the right to choose what to do with their bodies. My body, my right to choose. If I do not want to be pregnant, you have no right to force me. All conservatives care about is money. Liberals care about people.
TheOpinionist

Con

Thanks for your argument, Pro. I will address each statement in order.

"There you go putting money before people like a conservative or libertarian would."
There is no better way to piss off a debater than to be like-

"well you're wrong because you did something a conservative would do"

It's called Ad hominem, and you actually can be reported for it. I'll contain myself, though, and defend myself, and conservative/libertarians from this statement.

"So you are saying that women who cannot afford contraception should be forced to give birth?"

Well, simply put...

No.

Forget about getting pregnant. Nobody is forcing you to have sex. Nobody is forcing you to do it without a condom. If you don't want to get pregnant, don't have sex! Please justify why you need to have sex. If you can do that, justify how you and your partner cant come up with $9 per month for birth control.

The big point here is that you don't need to have sex!
Tons of people are celibate and happy. Roughly 10,000,000 Americans have waited until marriage to have sex, and were better mentally and financially prepared for a child [1].

I put forth two questions for my opponent in response to this statement:
Why do you NEED to have sex without a condom?
Why do other people NEED to pay $9 for your stuff?

Let's continue, shall we?

"People have the right to choose what to do with their bodies. My body, my right to choose."

It's also your responsibility to pay. Having a body does not give you an excuse to sleep around without protection, nor does it give you a right to other people's stuff.

One question for you here:
Who cares more about people: Conservatives, who want them to keep their money and not waste it on other people, or liberals, who want other people to pay for their mistakes?

"If I do not want to be pregnant, you have no right to force me" Edit: "I don't have to bang everything that moves!"
Honestly, if you don't want a kid, don't have sex.

"All conservatives care about is money. Liberals care about people."

Unsourced Ad hominem. I'm not even gonna address this...

I await my opponents next argument.

Source
1) http://waitingtillmarriage.org...

ILoveSitarMusic

Pro

Conservatives like you are awlways putting money before people, and you sent me this debate. Where is that responsibility you conbservatives are awlays bragging about. You have not answered my question, so I will ask again: Should low income women who cannot afford contraception be forced to give birth? Saying that contraception is not a right is like saying that women should be forced to give birth. People have the right to choose what to do with their bodies. People who value money first should not complain when liberals call them on it. #irony
TheOpinionist

Con

I'd like to start out by thanking my opponent for her argument and this debate. It's like 4AM where I live an my Internet is being stupid, so I'll try to remain civil, but anything sarcastic that I say is not personal, and I'm sure the voters will call me out on it,

So let's begin... I will again address all of the things in your argument in the order you said them.

"Conservatives like you are awlways putting money before people, and you sent me this debate"

I sent you this debate because you seemed passionate about the topic and I was just starting to learn about healthcare. And I'm not going to address the Ad hominem.

"Where is that responsibility you conbservatives are awlays bragging about."

... I'm just not even gonna... Does this have anything to do with the resolution?

"You have not answered my question, so I will ask again: Should low income women who cannot afford contraception be forced to give birth?"

I actually did answer your question in my R3 argument. I gave the answer it's own line last time and I'll do it again.

No.

But you would have had to read my argument to see that, and your "rebuttals" tell me you really didn't have time for that. I also asked you four questions last round, and you answered none of them.

"Saying that contraception is not a right is like saying that women should be forced to give birth."

Ridiculously erroneous logic. It assumes that all women have sex without protection and that it's our fault they did. I also debunked this kind of saying in my last round, so I'll leave you to reading that argument.

"People have the right to choose what to do with their bodies. People who value money first should not complain when liberals call them on it."

DING DING DING! Congratulations for-

1. Reusing a point I already debunked
2. Proving my point

Let me explain.
If you can choose what to do with your body, you can choose to bang everything that moves without a condom, or you can choose not to! AND WHY SHOULD ANYBODY BUT YOU BE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR CHOICE???

"People who value money first should not complain when liberals call them on it."

See question number four from last round. You didn't even answer it, instead opting to point out the #irony.

You know, the #irony that doesn't exist!

Again, thanks for the debate, but I'd appreciate it if you read my arguments.
ILoveSitarMusic

Pro

The fact remains that people have the right to choose what to do with their bodies. If someone doesn't want to be pregnant, they don't have to. Saying that contraception is not a right is saying that people should be forced to give birth.
Posted by TheOpinionist 1 year ago
TheOpinionist
why did it post twice?
Posted by TheOpinionist 1 year ago
TheOpinionist
Big thanks to 16kadams for the vote! Ties suck. Winning is awesome. And 16kadams took this debate from sucky to awesome in less than 1000 characters.
Posted by TheOpinionist 1 year ago
TheOpinionist
Posted by TheOpinionist 1 year ago
TheOpinionist
I really enjoyed this debate. Thanks to ILoveSitarMusic for accepting my challenge!
Posted by TheOpinionist 1 year ago
TheOpinionist
Haha I got a little restless so I decided to debate.
Posted by TheOpinionist 1 year ago
TheOpinionist
It was a formal challenge. Sorry dude
Posted by Greg4586 1 year ago
Greg4586
Damn, I wish I was there to take this debate in time.
Posted by TheOpinionist 1 year ago
TheOpinionist
Check yo-self before you rek yo-self
Vote Placed by 16kadams 1 year ago
16kadams
TheOpinionistILoveSitarMusicTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro offered literally no argumentation. Con first noted that in most first world countries, the ability to get contraception (even if you are at or below the poverty line) would not be hampered if we ceased paying for it. Pro's entire argument was that "Liberals care about people," but offered no counter to Con's argument that people--without liberal help--can afford their own contraception. Pro's entire argument that it is their body, their choice, is obviously flawed when we take into account that, as Con noted, people are forced to pay for other people's body. Con is *not* saying that we need to ban contraception, rather that we need not pay for it. If anything, it tramples on people's rights to force them to pay. Con wins this, lol.