Society_Issues
LostintheEcho1498

Women in "SOCIETY" specifically the United States are treated unfairly

Society_Issues

Society_Issues

Pro

Hi,
I would like to know why exactly people ignore the fact that women are overlooked in society and do not have the same opportunities as men do. Also, why women are against FEMINISM?!
There will be three rounds:
Round 1-Evidence and interpretation
Round 2-Counterclaim
Round 3- Rebuttal
Make sure to cite sources and include a source for every "FACT"
No cursing and attacking one and another's beliefs and views.
Limit spelling and grammatical errors.
Let's keep this chill. (Sounds retarded, but whatever)
I will try my best to reply ASAP!
This isn't Round 1 more like an introduction after you reply and accept the challenge we will start the round, feel free to ask questions.
I'M OPEN TO EVERYTHING!
LostintheEcho1498

Con

I accept your challenge and look forward to a healthy debate. I also greatly hope for an exchange of ideas, and less either side trying to preach to someone else their idea. I have nothing against you presenting your ideas in a professional manner, but oftentimes find myself called chauvinist simply because I think feminism is not looking for equality, but superiority. Anyways, I digress. I simply ask that we keep this clean and , if possible, friendly. I also ask if there is any kind of structure. Such as:
1. acceptance
2. Main Argument
3. Rebut
4. Concluding rebuttal

This is just one example of many that could be used. We also could simply use the good old fashioned argue to the end. I would just ask what the structure is, if any.
Society_Issues

Pro

I'm glad that you have accepted my debate and I am very excited to learn new things. For the structure I am not going to require a certain format just do what you feel comfortable with. You can just list facts and explain them or have them in paragraph form. For the first round I am in a rush I have an Essay due for school tomorrow so this isn't going to be my best, but spring break starts Friday so my 2nd and 3rd round will be much better. Oh, and for the citing just included the website you used in he end of your argument, just need to know the source. Good Luck! ;)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Evidence/Interpretation:
The Wage Gap is a huge issue that must be dealt with and in some fields it is increasing like the medical field. Women still earn 77 cents for every dollar a man makes.
"But a majority of the pay gap between men and women actually comes from differences within occupations, not between them " and widens in the highest-paying ones like business, law and medicine, according to data from Claudia Goldin, a Harvard University labor economist and a leading scholar on women and the economy.

"But a majority of the pay gap between men and women actually comes from differences within occupations, not between them...There is a belief, which is just not true, that women are just in bad occupations and if we just put them in better occupations, we would solve the gender gap problem," Dr. Goldin said. (NY TIMES)

"Rearranging women into higher-paying occupations would erase just 15 percent of the pay gap for all workers" Note that the wage gap is a 20-25% on average. Meaning that women still are not paid exactly the same amount men are even working the same occupation and hours.

The medical and law field hold the highest percentage of wage gap: "Take doctors and surgeons. Women earn 71 percent of men"s wages " after controlling for age, race, hours and education. Women who are financial specialists make 66 percent of what men in the same occupation earn, and women who are lawyers and judges make 82 percent."

How is this fair? A women putting in the same effort and hours working the same occupation will always get paid less.

Another thing that women face on a daily base is not receiving the same opportunities. Chances are if a women is against a man in a job, or entrant for college the man will be chosen even though they have the same exact degree.

"Among survey participants who had active mentoring relationships in 2008, fully 72% of the men had received one or more promotions by 2010, compared with 65% of the women." (HBR.org)
Both men and women took the time to get mentored, but even so men still have a higher chance of receiving a promotion.

The fact that man take up majority of the management positions is a sexist issue. " In 2009 women hold just 20 percent of the senior management positions in American businesses, according to the 2009 International Business Report by Grant Thornton."

This proves that women are paid less and do not have the same opportunities as men would.

You probably won for this round because I was in a total rush. I wanted to say things about how women are treated differently, but I know your going to state things that I will use for my counterclaim and have an amazing rebuttal.
So get Ready!

P.S. Very sorry it took me forever to reply :/

Source(s):
http://www.nytimes.com...
https://hbr.org...
http://info.theladders.com...
LostintheEcho1498

Con

LostintheEcho1498 forfeited this round.
Society_Issues

Pro

Society_Issues forfeited this round.
LostintheEcho1498

Con

LostintheEcho1498 forfeited this round.
Society_Issues

Pro

Society_Issues forfeited this round.
LostintheEcho1498

Con

LostintheEcho1498 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Society_IssuesLostintheEcho1498Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Arguments and Sources to Pro as he was the only one to post an argument and sources. The rest of the debate was forfeited all the way through.