xamycavex
ReasonFirst

Women in sport are underrepresented in the media

Started: 5/9/2016 Category: Sports

xamycavex

Pro

Women in sport are underrepresented in the media and should have a fair chance at being publicised in the media for their sport achievements.
ReasonFirst

Con

I will only be referencing sports for my arguments.

When it comes to media coverage, they (reporters, etc) have an obligation to put things on tv that viewers want to tune into. With that said as a sports fan I agree women should have professional sports and should have the opportunity to be on tv for their accomplishments. However this is where we will disagree, I do feel women get appropriate coverage for their achievements that are worthy of national praise.

People get Media coverage for things that are news worthy. Women that are worthy of that coverage get on. When the Williams sisters are tearing up the tennis court they are all over ESPN and other various media outlets, when UConn is going on another stellar win streak they too are all over the sports news world. Rhonda Rousey while undefeated got tremendous coverage.

Media coverage does not have to be equally split amongst the sexes. It does however have to bring relevant and exciting information to its viewers. Now to be honest I don't find the WNBA exciting, tennis is ok, soccer is good, softball no one cares about outside of college. so are these sports supposed to get the same air time as a NFL Playoff game, or an NBA game or even a NHL or MLB game. (I hate Baseball BTW and wish it was never on)

Lastly for this round I will end it with this. Can you give examples of something you thought was worthy of coverage that didn't receive that coverage?
xamycavex

Pro

xamycavex forfeited this round.
ReasonFirst

Con

Well I guess I win this due to forfeit..
Posted by ReasonFirst 1 year ago
ReasonFirst
so by that logic men sports gets roughly 23% to women's 7%.

I have to say i don't see a problem with that.

the problem isn't the media not covering the sports. the problem is women dont play alot of sports in Aussi because its not profitable.
Men cant even play pro sports full time because they pay isn't high enough.
Television is entertainment, if the show is not entertaining no one will watch and tv company loses money then there is no coverage for anyone.
Women get the right amount of coverage for there contributions to the sports and medias pocket book.
in that world the bottom line is everything. RATINGS RATINGS RATINGS
Posted by xamycavex 1 year ago
xamycavex
The other 93 per cent is either men sport or social and casual news
Posted by ReasonFirst 1 year ago
ReasonFirst
what is the other 93 percent?
Posted by xamycavex 1 year ago
xamycavex
Women only get 7 per cent of programming in Australia
Posted by ReasonFirst 1 year ago
ReasonFirst
Not to mention the season is WAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY to long
Posted by ReasonFirst 1 year ago
ReasonFirst
Baseball is the most boring sport I have had to sit through, the only reason i hate it more than golf is because i dont consider golf a sport.

Come on the most exciting thing about a baseball game is the mascot, food, and well that it....

Do i smell a good debate topic lol
Posted by its.chandler 1 year ago
its.chandler
ReasonFirst

Why do you HATE baseball so much---(laughing)
Posted by MyNameIsSean 1 year ago
MyNameIsSean
This topic seems interesting, i'll be happy to debate you.
Posted by xamycavex 1 year ago
xamycavex
I agree with the Pro (for)