stormiecoots95
TheRussian

Women in the Military

TheRussian

stormiecoots95

Pro

I believe that women should be able to serve in the United States military. Women have contributed to the military for many years, protecting and serving the United states. They are fully capable of performing the duties of a soldier. One prime example of a female who has successfully been a member of the army is Sergeant Leigh Anne Hester, she won the Silver Star medal for stepping up and leading her squad to victory when ambushed by insurgents while in Iraq. Some say women are not strong or tough enough to be in the military, but as long as women pass the APFT and successfully go through basic training, the same thing that men have to do, I think this proves that women can be soldiers. I am currently in the process of joining the army, and I believe that I can perform all of the tasks that will be put in front of me. I am also enrolled in the Army ROTC program at my college, and although it is much easier than being in the United States Army, I am still able to complete the same tasks as the men in the program. Women are just as capable as men when it comes to serving in the military, society should be blind to gender as long as the United States is being protected.
TheRussian

Con

The first thing that I would like to say is that I respect women, am not sexist and do not want to offend anybody. That said, let's begin.

"Some say women are not strong or tough enough to be in the military, but as long as women pass the APFT and successfully go through basic training, the same thing that men have to do, I think this proves that women can be soldiers."
I agree, but physical standards have been lowered for females who want to join the military. This makes room for lower quality soldiers. Lower quality soldiers will be treated the same as high quality soldiers, meaning that the presence of lower quality soldiers jeopardizes the mission at hand. For example, if you have 4 soldiers covering 4 different direction, one of the soldiers is worse than the rest and could not perform as expected. This soldier dies, leaving the other 3 in a position to be flanked and killed. This is a simplified exaggeration, but I hope it conveys my point that having worse soldiers undermines even the good ones.
http://www.thedailybeast.com...

My next point is that there is a problem with mixing sexes. Whether we like it or not, men and women will mix, making relationships etc. This will cause problems in training and in critical moments on the battlefield. For example, a man sees that the leader of the group is under fire. At the same time, he notices that a female that he's interested in/in a relationship with is also at risk. Not only will this cause hesitation (which may lead to the death of both soldiers), but he might choose to save the female, sacrificing the higher priority soldier.
This can be compared to uni-sex vs. mixed sex schools. Because there are less distraction from the opposite gender, uni-sex schools tend to have higher test scores and success rates.
http://www.singlesexschools.org...
stormiecoots95

Pro

stormiecoots95 forfeited this round.
TheRussian

Con

Also, take a look at this video. This is a woman who was a marine and explains that even though women carried up to 100 lbs of equipment less than men, they still had problems. Estrogen levels also go down from such extreme amounts of physical work and many women become infertile.
https://www.mca-marines.org...

Since my opponent did not reply, I have nothing to refute.
stormiecoots95

Pro

stormiecoots95 forfeited this round.
TheRussian

Con

I have nothing to refute. My opponent has provided virtually no argument.
Posted by TheRussian 3 years ago
TheRussian
haha, thank you! :)
Posted by SebUK 3 years ago
SebUK
TheRussian you sir are a good debater
Posted by sengejuri 3 years ago
sengejuri
Women are allowed in the US Army. Are you talking specifically about infantry and special forces?
Posted by Mhykiel 3 years ago
Mhykiel
You mean women being allowed in Combat Arms or submarines? The military has conducted experiments to do just this. And just like they say it is detrimental to unit cohesion int hose examples. Just like you would suspect from humans and males, is it lead to more fraternization, jealousy, and women were sometimes just not physically capable of keeping up, or needed certain feminine hygiene practices that were unsupportable when you are buried in the dirt somewhere. . There are exceptions there always are, but generally implanting a young immature female with a group of immature young men can make stressful situations even more stressful. believe me most women don't even like working around male soldiers. And I can't blame them.
Vote Placed by aburk903 3 years ago
aburk903
stormiecoots95TheRussianTied