brontoraptor
theteamnoob

Women like much older men

brontoraptor

Pro

Women like men that are about a generation older than them. Let's say somewhere between 10-20 years older.
theteamnoob

Con

Citations needed. You have made a positive claim without any evidence. I have done some research into the issue and honestly all I can find is explanations as to why a women might want to go for an older man. Without any actual statistics to back up this claim it can't be a fact and the idea that they do is just speculation. As a final point, I am not saying that all women don't go for older men, what I am saying is that all humans have a preference and sometimes it's older men other times it is the same age - there is no general truth when it comes to an age gap.
brontoraptor

Pro

Con:

"humans have a preference and sometimes it's older men."

Con admits that women do like older men that fit my age demographic.

--

Younger women prefer to date older men for many reasons," says licensed marriage and family therapist Dr. Paul Hokemeyer. "The truth of the matter is that older men come with maturity, grace and dignity. They value their younger mates and treat them with more respect." And this, of couse, is appealing to young women who have grown tired of the narcissistic adolescence frequently found in younger men.

In addition, older men typically possess more confidence. They've reached the age where they place a high value on things like love and family, and are generally more focused on things that truly matter.

magazine.foxnews.com/love/why-young-women-go-older-men-and-why-it%E2%80%99s-good-thing

--

There's also a biological aspect. Women are very intuitive: They know what they value, what they need, and are typically gifted at obtaining these things.

“A younger woman who is mature for her age may want children, so biologically, it makes sense to go after a man who has the means and resources to provide for her and for those children,” says Dr. Cooper Lawrence, a psychologist and the host of "Girls in Heels."

The relationship that a young woman had with her father, while growing up, could also impact her relationship choices later in life. And yes, it's sometimes true that a woman who didn’t get the love and support she craved from her father will instead seek it out from a mate, but only sometimes.

"Father absence, due to death or divorce, in early adolescence can contribute to certain behavioral problems, but the cliché that young girls seek a father figure when they date older men has more to do with them mirroring their mother’s behavior than replacing the father they lost," says Lawrence.

"Some women feel that their fathers were exceptional and provided them with everything they needed," adds Hokemeyer. "Therefore, they seek out mates who share the very qualities they valued in their fathers."

theteamnoob

Con

I admit that SOME younger women like to date older men. I do not agree with it being a general truth for all younger women.

You whole argument is just psychological reasons as to why a younger woman might want to date an older man. What you are failing to do is show evidence that there are younger women dating older men, in the majority.
Then your statement "Women like much older men" would be true.
Using journalist articles that state opinions rather then statistics is a bandwagon fallacy that lacks facts and therefore don't prove anything.
Dr. Paul Hokemeyer did not prove anything as he provided no evidence. He provided his perfectly valid, scientific opinion on why a younger woman MIGHT want to be with an older man. However, these opinions are not backed up by facts and they are also quite assumptive of younger women as a whole , therefore not really supply any real evidence for the claim.

I am simply saying prove that "Women like much older men". NOT tell me why "Women Like Much Older Men"
I have looked and not seen any information to prove that statement therefore I assume it is false. Journalism can be used to justify anything but cannot be used to prove a statement.
To summarise, giving reasons why a younger woman might want to be with an older man won't support your claim as it offers not statistical evidence.
brontoraptor

Pro

I only said women. I never said "most" or "generally", thus, Con is wrong.

-There’s a common stereotype that American men who remarry are especially likely to walk down the aisle with a younger woman. A new Pew Research analysis of census data finds that it is true.

www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/12/04/tying-the-knot-again-chances-are-theres-a-bigger-age-gap-than-the-first-time-around

"Decisions to marry older men when young aren't uncommon."

-Men's Health

--

Headline-

"Men choose younger wives in remarriage, but women choose older men the second time around"

-Deseret News

m.deseretnews.com/article/865618589/Men-choose-younger-wives-in-remarriage-but-women-choose-older-men-the-second-time-around.html?pg=all

--

Here's an entire site dedicated to hooking younger women up with older men-

--

So. Con is wrong. Younger women are trying to hook up with older men because they have a warm, wet, cozy spot that needs a dlippery iguana to fill in the hole that they have(in their lives! Perverts...).
theteamnoob

Con

I guess you could argue that I have just done a straw-man. However you are really hurting my poor misunderstood brain. You wrote in the title "Women like much older men". Then you wrote as a first argument:
"Women like men that are about a generation older than them. Let's say somewhere between 10-20 years older."

These initial statements implied a generalisation about women. Any speaker of the English language would assume you were making a generalisation (see? that was a generalisation). Therefore I am not wrong. When you refer to a group of people then imply something about them, it is NEVER implied that you are talking about small percentage of this group unless clearly stated. Instead you are talking about a majority or all of them.

Again the constant use of the bandwagon fallacy whereby you surround your argument with people who agree with you by online articles does not prove your point. I could google and find an article that rejects gravity and weight, would gravity cease exist? The only article with statistics show only around 13% of women marry men >10 years older than them. So the stats say no.

So to summarise. I am not wrong as your initial question (and argument) was a generilisation about a group of people as a whole. If ONLY you had only put the word "some" in front of each statement. But then it wouldn't really be up for debate. The stats have shown that most women date men around their age. Therefore the initial statement is false.
Posted by whiteflame 6 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: Muslimdebater// Mod action: Removed<

7 points to Con. Reasons for voting decision: Pro uses inappropriate language.

[*Reason for removal*] The voter is welcome to award conduct for swearing, but must still explain the other 6 points awarded.
************************************************************************
Posted by whiteflame 7 months ago
whiteflame
>Reported vote: Emmarie// Mod action: Removed<

4 points to Pro (Conduct, Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: RFD - Argument points to Con since Pro chose to change the argument to "some" women in R3, which Con pointed out makes it essentially a non-debatable subject. Conduct point to Con since Pro made a perverse insinuation in the end of R3 and also seems to be providing sources and links to spam and promote websites that promote Pros resolution, which makes me wonder if this was his intention of the debate.

[*Reason for removal*] The voter does explain conduct sufficiently, but arguments are not sufficiently examined. Attempting to change the topic of debate can be a conduct violation, but by itself, it is not reason enough to award arguments. The voter must still analyze those points made by each side that were relevant to the debate.
Posted by whiteflame 7 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************
>Reported vote: SM29// Mod action: Removed<

3 points to Con (Arguments), 2 points to Pro (Sources). Reasons for voting decision: Pro had the burden of proof, and statement was a general one. With the question as worded by Pro, the Burden of Proof would have to be to prove the statement was correct for the majority of women, and he failed to do that. Pro did an excellent job establishing that many women are attracted to older men, con's point that the minimum threshold of a majority stood up. However, pro did a better job citing sources. Con could have made this a much wider margin of victory by pointing out the statistics proving that Pro's argument failed to meet the necessary BoP.

[*Reason for removal*] (1) Arguments are insufficiently explained. The voter is required to specifically assess points made by at least the debater who has the burden of proof after establishing that they have it and why. The voter did establish that, but did not examine Pro's argument, or explain how and why Con's argument denied him access to that burden. That requires more than an explanation of what Pro succeeded or failed in doing without directly referencing certain arguments. (2) Sources are insufficiently explained. The voter is required to assess the sources given by each side and their quality in order to award these points, but fails to assess any sources in this RFD.
Posted by brontoraptor 7 months ago
brontoraptor
I know. That's why she's with an older man on the side.
Posted by malalo75 7 months ago
malalo75
My girlfriend is over 5 years older than me.