HandsOff
JBlake

Women rely heavily on the opinions of others in selecting a companion.

HandsOff

Pro

I'm generalizing of course. But guys, if you want to ruin your chances with a female (regardless of how attracted she is to you physically) just find a way to make sure her friends disapprove of you. The perceived personal status that would result from a prospective romantic alliance weighs heavily on a woman's decision to select or reject a man. Do not confuse my claim to mean women will only seek men with fame, fortune or good looks to increase their status. Depending on a woman's peer group, there are many attributes, including humor and intellegence, that will garner their approval-- and in many cases envy. There is no better aphrodisiac for a woman than to know she is envied by other women. I realize this is a better topic for discussion than debate, so comments are welcome.
JBlake

Con

As with most generalizations, this statement is simply not true for many (if not most) females. I would counter that a similar trend can be found in males.

Certainly approval within her network is a contributing factor (to varying degrees) as to whether a 'romantic alliance' will be formed and maintained, but you lend too much weight to the question. 'Personal status' from those outside of a person's social circle carry even less weight (in most cases). As you mentioned, physical attraction is an important aspect, as well as personal 'chemistry', common interest, and many others.

To put as much emphasis on status completely ignores the many women that form a 'romantic alliance' with someone perceived as belonging to a lower 'status'; who abandon their network for a 'romantic alliance'; and who form a new network beginning with their 'romantic alliance'. Also, different age groups will have generally varied emphasis on status when selecting a mate.
HandsOff

Pro

As with most generalizations, this statement is simply not true for many (if not most) females. I would counter that a similar trend can be found in males."
Generalization are usually untrue when they are are applied to ALL of a particular group. I say I am generalized precisely to avoid that scenario. I am not saying that all women do this. Many do not. I am speaking of women in general.

"To put as much emphasis on status completely ignores the many women that form a 'romantic alliance' with someone perceived as belonging to a lower 'status'; who abandon their network for a 'romantic alliance'"

Again, I am not completely ignoring those who value other criteria. I am only speaking of most women.

Women seek so much more than physical attraction in men, whereas men rely heavily on physical attraction to select a woman. How they are perceived by other women is a measure of their personal status and is an important motive for selecting the right man. For example, if you ask women who they really dress up for when going out, most will admit it is primarily for "for other women." Why is it better to send a woman flowers at work versus to her home? I would submit that it is because the other women in the office will envy her (and her relationship). They will also be happy to admit it, knowing the value of such an acknowledgement.
JBlake

Con

My opponent again claims that his hypothesis is true for 'most' women. This seems to be based on established stereotypes that one might find on television or movies. As we all know, television and movies are often incorrect in their depictions of reality.

As there are many different types of people, so too are there many different types of women. Within these 'types' are varying degrees of emphasis place on 'status', and I would contend that most of them have a lower degree than my opponent suggests.

He cites as evidence the 'fact' that most women would respond to the question of 'who they really dress up for when going out' with 'for other women'. This is, again, a broad generalization at best. I wonder from where this 'fact' was gathered, television and movies?

Real human interaction shows us that people cannot be categorized into such broad generalizations. Are most black people rappers? Are most Chinese people good at math? The same answer applies to 'Are most women interested primarily in status?'.

Lastly, my opponent does not seem to take non-capitalist cultures into account. Capitalist women make up a fraction of the approximately 3.3 billion women of the world.
HandsOff

Pro

There is little emperical evidence for, or against, my claims-- only opinion based on experience and observiation. That being said, I think most women would agree that their selection in a spouse or boyfriend will have much to do with the resulting social status they will experience among their group of friends. This topic arose out of a very interesting conversation that, unfortunately, did not translate well into debate. Sorry for wasting our time.
JBlake

Con

It actually is an interesting topic.

From an evolutionary standpoint it has been suggested by some (who have come up with the same observations that you have) that males are interested in appearance because of a natural desire to reproduce. For instance, wide hips and large breasts indicate a female that has the most likely chance to successfully deliver and raise a prospective male's offspring.

That brings us to females and ho wit relates to this topic. It is speculated by this group that women seek out mates that can protect and provide basic survival needs to her and her offspring. If true, that could explain why women also stereotypically seek out "bad boy" types for their ability to protect, and wealthy men for their ability to provide. It is this latter association that can easily be confused with 'status'.
I can provide sources and explain more in depth if you have any interest in this hypothesis.

Now since I have seemed to argue against my own points, I will add:

Since humans are much more complex than most animals (and certainly more complex than our primate past), there is much more for males and females to consider than merely innate and subconscious desires.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
HandsOffJBlakeTied
Vote Placed by infam0us 6 years ago
infam0us
HandsOffJBlakeTied
Vote Placed by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
HandsOffJBlakeTied
Vote Placed by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
HandsOffJBlakeTied
Vote Placed by wjmelements 7 years ago
wjmelements
HandsOffJBlakeTied
Vote Placed by googzieg 8 years ago
googzieg
HandsOffJBlakeTied
Vote Placed by Araku 8 years ago
Araku
HandsOffJBlakeTied
Vote Placed by HandsOff 8 years ago
HandsOff
HandsOffJBlakeTied
Vote Placed by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
HandsOffJBlakeTied