Women should have a choice when it comes to abortion.

When it comes to the desire and/or need of a woman to abort a pregnancy, the decision should rest with the mother. Yes, I know it is a well played out topic, but over the years my views have seemed to sway due to my devout faith in God and my steadfastness to an ethos point-of-view. Although as of now, I believe whole-heartedly that women should decide whether or not they are ready to have a baby. Having said that, the saying "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" seems to come into play when I think about this topic thoroughly. I can understand that mistakes do happen and that unprotected sex is something that I believe most will regretfully experience at some time or another. At the end of the day, a child being born to a mother who never wanted him/her in the first place might lead to a miserable life anyways. Because of this, I believe the "Oops, I made a mistake" argument is valid, yet only valid for the first abortion a woman will have in lifetime. I do not believe that a any woman could use this argument twice. I am very against abortion in the sense that one might abuse its enablement to rid themselves of a pregnancy. I would like to hear why anyone should believe that the decision is not with the mother and why abortion should be illegal as I am well aware, many do frown upon its ethics.
-I'm well aware of the Christian standpoint, as it was mine for the majority of my life
-I would like to hear why someone believes abortion is wrong with a foundation in anything other than or having little to do with religion

This is my first debate on abortion I have participated in, and I hope it will be fun.

I will be arguing that the woman should not have the choice to abort a child due our unalienable right to life and the very basics of our human dignity.

Before we begin this debate I would like to thank Keyarhero for being the inspiration of my arguments.

Introduction Argument

Through the very foundation of our human dignity and unalienable rights that we as humans have established, the right to life is the most important of them all, for all other rights, including our other unalienable rights transcend from this. As Americans, we have established that the right to life is an unalienable right and is to never be taken away, unless the rights of the individual is taken away due to actions they have committed against the society. Since an unborn baby has committed no evil against said society, it still retains the right to life.

To abort a baby is to not only disregard all human dignity of this full-fledged member of humanity, but is also to go against the very foundation of human dignity and unalienable rights that not only society has established, but humans as a whole have morally established.

Abortion is Immoral

P1. The unborn entity, from fertilization [1], is a full-fledged member of the human community.
P2. It is prima facie morally wrong to kill any member of that community.
P3. Every successful abortion kills an unborn entity, a full-fledged member of the human community.
C1. Therefore, every successful abortion is prima facie morally wrong. [2]

From the moment of conception to our death, we are all full-fledged members of humanity. At no point during life do we become human, but instead from the moment we begin to live we are human. We are not something different than what we were at conception, but instead we are the same being, at a different stage of development, much like how a child is still of the same biological material an adult is, but is not at the same stage of growth.

"Human development begins at fertilization, the process during which a male gamete or sperm unites with a female gamete or oocyte (ovum) to form a single cell called a zygote. This highly specialized, totipotent cell marked the beginning of each of us as a unique individual." [3]

As explained in my introduction, through human dignity and our unalienable rights, we are afforded the right to life, not only by society, but by humanity as a whole. It goes further than this though, for the unborn unlike most humans, are spiritually and physically innocent. They have done no wrong; they have simply existed. It is of absolute hypocrisy to terminate the life of the unborn for their existence, yet not punish yourselves for the evils you have committed. In most cases of abortion, the child is the result of two consenting adults. Since they consented into the action of intercourse, it is their own responsibility to care for the life that arises out of intercourse.

We possess the same humanity that we possessed in the womb. Seeing this as true, if there is a morally justifiable reason that I be killed, there must also be a morally justifiable reason for killing an unborn child, but because that child has done no evil, it’s life should not be terminated.

Every abortion takes the life of an unborn member of the human race, violating the unalienable right to life of that human and eroding the human dignity of that child.

If there must be justification for killing me, there must also be a reason to kill that child. Since that child is of absolute spiritual and physical innocence, it should therefore not be aborted.

I hope these arguments were enlightening to you, and I hope they may give you a change of heart and the ever controversial issue of abortion.

I look forward to your response.

[1] Francis J. Beckwith, Defending Life: A Moral and Legal Case Against Abortion Choice, (Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, New York, 2007), p. xii.

[2] Beckwith argues from the "moment of conception." I have changed this to fertilization. Conception is not actually a "moment," and the process of bringing a human into existence occurs sometime during the fertilization process, even though the exact point has not yet been agreed upon (Beckwith also mentions this later in his book). So I have substituted fertilization because I feel it's slightly more accurate.

[3] Keith L. Moore, The Developing Human: Clinically Oriented Embryology, 7th edition, Philadelphia, PA: Saunders, 2003. p. 16.

leahvhess forfeited this round.

leahvhess forfeited this round.

CryptonZ forfeited this round.
Posted by Junglekat 3 years ago
in my humble opinion, abortion should not be illegal. as i am a believer in liberty.. meaning i feel like i should be able to do as i wish. (i.e. own guns, have the choice to not eat GMO's, or smoke cannabis.) having the liberty mindset to me means not encroaching on others liberty. while i am morally against abortion, i refuse to obtain the mindset of telling others how to live because i dont want to be told how to live. it seems to me that people want their liberty, but dont want others to have theirs.. as long as i am not negatively effected by your choice, i dont care what you do.
Posted by CryptonZ 3 years ago
What are you talking about?
Posted by GDawg 3 years ago
The right to life is a big deal, but you support the idea of women dying in back ally's, the kid growing up on welfare and can kill somebody, military intervention to weaker nations and killing civilians there, and animal rights. Forcing women to have kids seems to be more illogical to me than killing a microscopic life, that will ultimately destroy two lives.
Posted by CryptonZ 3 years ago
Law is the creation of humans in order to uphold society, human dignity, and our rights.
Abortion degrades all of these things.
To be thankful for abortion is not only morally horrendous, but is also logically unsound.

You should feel ashamed.

Even worse than this, I know you didn't even read my arguments because you would rather remain in your peaceful ignorance with your opinion than actually test the boundaries of your thoughts.
Posted by Jazmine23 3 years ago
Con and anyone else against a woman's right to choice can make as many arguments against as they want but the fact is for the majority of the United States, the law is in our favor. Thank "god" for that :)
Posted by officialniaaa 3 years ago
Pro, your argument is so invalid and terribly structured. Just friendly advice.