christ88
nitya

Women should not have the same rights as men.

christ88

Pro

I'll keep it short and simple to begin:

Women in history have not earned the right to be at the same social level as men. The achievements men have reached give them the rights they have. Women want to take the rewards without the work.

Not only socially, but also physically, men are the dominating gender. This now becomes not a matter of opinion, but science. It is a fact that men are stronger, faster, and more athletic than women, so why pretend they are on equal terms? Women were not meant for the same things as men. Men were built for the harder work, the more demanding things in life (other than giving birth. Ladies, I'll give you that). Women are there to hold together these pieces. They are essential in society; much in the way that the stitching is essential to a quilt. Essential, but are not seen or noticed while the patches bask in the hard-earned glory.
nitya

Con

let me also keep it short and simple. Women should be given equal rights then men because they are mentally strong then men!!!!
christ88

Pro

So that is your argument? That they are "mentally strong then men"? I mean honestly I wanted a debate. However, I don't need a strong debate from you to show my side as correct.

You want proof of mental strength; then lets look at a test that is not bias. How about... the SAT. Everyone takes it, in fact more women than men took it, yet they can't seem to score higher (oh and us Pacific Islanders scored the highest :P).

"Women, now 54 percent of test takers, have made gains toward score-equality with men over the last 10 years but only very small ones.

This year, women averaged 502 on verbal to the men's 509; women averaged 498 on math against the men's 533.

In 1991, when women were 52 percent of students who took the SAT, they scored 495 on verbal against the men's 503. On math, women then scored 482 to the men's 520."-CNN.com August 28, 2001
http://cnnstudentnews.cnn.com...

So it took women ten years to climb one point higher on the verbal portion and three points higher on the math side? Maybe in another hundred years women will be equal to men mentally, but then neither of us will live to see that day.

Perhaps this time you'll give a true, fact-based argument.
nitya

Con

nitya forfeited this round.
christ88

Pro

I've been waiting for this rush of comments. Please note the previous comment I left that this is not a truly personal opinion, but one that I know many do feel, and one I wanted to try arguing.

First off, untapped, yes it is true women's minds mature faster than mens, however; that is not to say that they don't mature to the same level. In the end the minds mature to the same level and can "handle" the rights.

DWReeves, I love that you mentioned satire because this almost is. These are not my beliefs, I've just heard this beliefs many times and thought I'd see the reaction. As you said, some women are superior to men in some categories, which is why the argument is that the rights should not be the SAME. Not that they shouldn't be equal, just that perhaps not equal in every aspect. The "inferior" aspects of women translate into less rights in those specific areas. Someone could very well argue with me that women should have more rights concerning children as men have been known to have less of a nurturing side. Whichever sex is more qualified can have the "first-pick" of that field. This mixes in with
the "scholarship" part.

Kels1123, I did not say that women should not get scholarships. I said that it should not be an equal distribution. I'll switch the situation for you, if 10 women were more qualified for scholarships than 10 men, should five of the women get scholarships and five of the men, or should all ten of the women get the scholarships? However, these scholarships tend to come due to sports. Sports, I think we can all agree, is a basically male driven item. The scholarships for sports and for academics should not be split based on your sex, race, or age, but on your talent or intelligence. The more qualified should get the scholarship. Also, I claimed that women should argue not only for higher up jobs, but for all jobs (specifically manual labor). I failed to back this part up so here you are,
"From ages 18 to 21, men spent 22 percent of weeks out of the labor force and women spent 34 percent of weeks out of the labor force. This age range
is a period when large proportions of men and women attend college or
receive vocational training and, as a result, they spend less time in
the labor force than they eventually will. Indeed, from ages 36 to 40,
these men spent only 6 percent of weeks out of the labor force and women
spent 21 percent of weeks out of the labor force. (See table 4.)"
- http://www.bls.gov...
Ah, and you are completely right about the age thing. "What have you earned personally?"
- What have I earned personally? I have earned my rights through the small achievements I have accomplished. At this point, you are wondering what these possibly could be.
Its not much. That is why I don't have the right of my own personal freedom, but rather, my parents do. That is why I don't have the choice of whether or not to attend school. This is why I don't even have the right to my own assets. I have not earned many of my rights, but eventually, hopefully, will. However, the generalizations have been made before me and always will be. If a woman surpasses me, OK, but did the feminine race surpass the male race in the aspect? If they did, give them their more beneficial rights in that area, they earned them.

Please keep commenting on this topic, I would love to hear more.
nitya

Con

nitya forfeited this round.
Posted by Freak 1 year ago
Freak
I believe that women should have the same rights as men. Logically speaking, men are in need of women as much as women are in need of men. Why should there be some sort of descrimination between both? Yes men tend to have more strenght physically but statistics prove that women tend to have more strenght mentally. Of course, these statistics are just general, and one cannot limit them to SAT scores. There is nothing that ever says that men should have more rights then women. If we were to talk about men throughout history, they were portrayed as barbaric sometimes. Yes, they succeeded in many tasks and in conquering many lands, but women also succeeded in many things. For starters women also played a role in politics (example queen hatshepsot). The reason some societies have not grown to accept the fact that women should have the same right as men is because they have been influenced by the way most men treated women in the old days. for the were treated objects of pleasure. Women were not recognised for their intelligence and this is why some people today have grown to believe that women and men shouldn't be treated as equal.
To continue, men have strengh and intelligence but they sometimes limit their abilities to strenght. The quote "behind every successful man is a women" was made for a reason. Women tend to be more open minded and aware.
Therefore women and men should have equal rights. ;)
Posted by jimlanthrou 6 years ago
jimlanthrou
how does this debate have 35 votes??
Posted by christ88 6 years ago
christ88
Haha yes well with that "mentally strong" argument I don't know how she lost...
Posted by josh_42 6 years ago
josh_42
LOL ppl. actually voted for Con
Posted by Harlan 7 years ago
Harlan
"are you serious men should have more rights than women?HOW THE HELL DOES HE HAVE MORE VOTES?
look up your history pro! women have well earned their place in society. plus state valid evidence!

CON HAS MY VOTE!!"

WE vote on the better debater, not our opinion, it says at the top: "who won this debate?", not "Who do you agree with?"...That would ruin the point of debating, because people would not even need to read the debates to vote, they would just vote on who they agree with.
Posted by griffinisright 7 years ago
griffinisright
nitya if you want to win a debate you gotta fight back
Posted by Novus.Questus 7 years ago
Novus.Questus
Wow. Why did we have that chick representing us? I totally disagree with pro, but he definitely won the argument. Ugh.
Posted by iloveher666 7 years ago
iloveher666
only for the resons that women deserve equall right(the debate was horible)
Posted by iloveher666 7 years ago
iloveher666
are you serious men should have more rights than women?HOW THE HELL DOES HE HAVE MORE VOTES?

CON HAS MY VOTE!!
Posted by cherrychocolate 7 years ago
cherrychocolate
I think preacherfred has the right of it - at least, I saw his lists as mocking the extent to which we oversimplify each gender; and through such mockery I hope we can all be reminded that simplification of any kind is oversimplification and unjust to both genders.
It was also pretty funny.
Vote Placed by Ineffablesquirrel 6 years ago
Ineffablesquirrel
christ88nityaTied
Vote Placed by evilkillerfiggin 6 years ago
evilkillerfiggin
christ88nityaTied
Vote Placed by jimlanthrou 6 years ago
jimlanthrou
christ88nityaTied
Vote Placed by blond_guy 6 years ago
blond_guy
christ88nityaTied
Vote Placed by ally93 6 years ago
ally93
christ88nityaTied
Vote Placed by LakevilleNorthJT 6 years ago
LakevilleNorthJT
christ88nityaTied
Vote Placed by honey 6 years ago
honey
christ88nityaTied
Vote Placed by Chob 6 years ago
Chob
christ88nityaTied
Vote Placed by Karoz 6 years ago
Karoz
christ88nityaTied
Vote Placed by yoon172 6 years ago
yoon172
christ88nityaTied