amyjones29
brontoraptor

'Women wearing make-up is false advertisement'

amyjones29

Con

I've recently seen too many annoying and almost sickening comments on social media, mainly coming from men (also the odd woman), claiming that women wearing make-up is 'false advertisement'; i.e they're presenting themselves to men 'falsely' because they have make-up on.
First off, women are not there to be 'adverts' for men to 'fancy', if a man is interested in woman surely they aren't just looking at their external beauty, there is more to a person than their appearance. As a woman myself, i know that i wear make-up because i really enjoy doing it, i love the expressionism and creativity which it allows. It allows me to accentuate on my natural features. Make-up has boomed in popularity, perhaps due to the rise of social media and the rise of celebrities endorsing these products and 'looks', but as a woman, i do not put make-up on to appeal to men or anyone in-fact. If a man is attracted to the way i fashion myself, for myself, then that is great. But this whole 'false advertisement' debacle is ludicrous.
Back to the actual point of the debate - make-up is under no circumstances 'false advertisement', it doesn't change you as a person, it doesn't miraculously change your face to the point of nonrecognition, it simply covers what might be seen as 'flaws' and makes women feel particularly better about their appearance and allows them to feel glamorous.
brontoraptor

Pro

Yes. Wearing makeup is false advertising. But so is dying your hair to cover up gray, wearing high heels, and wearing clothes to make you appear thinner (or bigger in some cases). As a matter of fact, wearing clothes at all is false advertising. It looks like we all need to be makeup free and naked. Sound good?

*

It's a matter of fair marketing. (Most)Men are not wearing makeup. If we don't need it to "advertise", why do women? How about letting the product sell itself honestly? It's only true "advertising" if it simply tells us what the product can do, what it actually looks like, and how well it can do its job. Makeup is like taking a picture of a damaged car and photo-shopping the damage to make it appear that it "looks new" in a car add.

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2454391/Is-wearing-make-betrayal-One-womans-dramatic-transformation-sparks-online-backlash.html

*

Why does it matter? Because everyone has different wants, opinions, and motives.

1)Some guys want a naturally attractive woman for sexual motives and the ability to pass down attractive genes to their kids.

2)Some women go after rich men with their looks. Makeup gives the rich man a false sense of physical beauty from the female. It is a beauty that will fade once she has to wash her face and lies next to him. It could be traumatic for him to see an ogre when he expected a beauty. He might have a heart attack and might even die.

3)The golden rule. Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you. Women do not want to be deceived by a man who covers up and hides his flaws, thus they should not do it to men.

4)Makeup can conceal the woman's identity. She could rob a bank, then put makeup on and nobody would recognize her. This is false advertising by the female towards law enforcement.

5)Full disclosure. If you look like a gremlin, we have the right to know. If we can look past it, great. If not, we have the right to find a partner who meets our superficial lusts.

6)Makeup covers up freckles. Maybe we don't like freckles.

7)Makeup covers up skin problems. What if we do not want to pass down bad skin to our offspring?

8)Makeup can cover up an Adam's apple. What if we want an adam's appless mate?

9)Makeup can cover up your Nazi symbol tattoo. What if we don't want a Nazi?

So...in order to not falsely advertise, you must take off your clothes and go makeup free. Make sense?
amyjones29

Con

I could partially understand the opening statement - however I feel the opinions you're expressing are just plain and simply wrong.
Men surely cannot be that moronic to think that gold eye-shadow and black eyeliner is natural? If they are so insistent on wanting such a 'natural beauty' - don't go for the women which choose to wear make-up. Women's choice to express themselves through beauty should not be ridiculed by shallow men which think that beauty lies within someones physical appearance. Some men as a matter of fact do wear concealer to cover blemishes etc.
Make-up is NOT cosmetic surgery, it can not alter a persons look, their facial structure, eye colour, lip size etc, is all still the exact same when they remove their make-up. It simply provides many women with more confidence to go out and be themselves, it can help with low self-esteem and overall restore the feeling of glamour and beauty. Men lie about the size of their penises? What if a woman wants a well endowed man? This is essentially what you're saying - Men can pick and choose their women, but women settle for whatever men provide. It all boils down to sexism, and the fact that men think women desire their approval when in actual fact, all we want is to be able to express ourselves and FEEL good without this overhanging 'false advertisement' stigma which is just total garbage.
IF men are so bothered, stop going for women which wear make-up - but the facts are, you don't stop. You just complain because make-up makes people 'flawless' that you expect their natural beauty to be the same impossible level of perfection. If you are attracted to a woman, but are 'traumatised' when they remove their make-up, you clearly do not deserve that woman for who she is. Stop being so judgemental and rising to these social expectations of complete perfection.
All of the points you make are 'what if' statements. 'Makeup can cover up a Nazi symbol' - a man could be a rapist but that is all rule of chance. You can't base an argument around 'what if' statements. 'False advertisement' is a term which shouldn't be used; it's pretentious and shows men's provincially minded nature.
brontoraptor

Pro

It is false advertising. What if the woman is a hybrid, half animal/half woman mutant? She could cover up her stubby tail, shave her mane, and put makeup over those cheetah spots, unawares to the human male. This is immoral trickery. It is a half beastiality act waiting to happen. I digress.

Besides, what if I want to see your real face for just how beautiful it naturally is?

What if I don't want your makeup on my face, lip, and collar while I am cheating with you on my wife and desire to not get caught up on? It's my American right to not have Maybeline globbed all over my beautiful, natural, male face. It's probably in the Constitution. I could be allergic to the products you are using as well.

*

You have not addressed my point that the man may be looking for certain traits to pass down to his offspring. If you are covering up things, you have deceived him, and falsely advertised your genetic makeup to him.

*

If you are a hooker, you could cover up sores on your face that would clearly identify you as a crackhead or a carrier of STD's. This is not right. Even hookers really need to be honest about what their face naturally looks like to not pass unneccessary diseases.

We also need to not defy our evolutionary instincts to reproduce healthy younglings. By covering the face, the male instincts to look for attractive, healthy traits instinctively to continue the species through good genes is unnaturally leap-frogged by the deception of makeup.

*

Con:
"You just complain because make-up makes people 'flawless' that you expect their natural beauty to be the same impossible level of perfection."

Nope. I don't complain.

*

"Men can pick and choose their women, but women settle for whatever men provide."

In my case...it's a lot. Plus, the woman has the option to ask the man to let her see his penis beforehand to see if she wants to pursue him further.

*

Chris Rock- "Women and The visual lie"
(Parental guidance suggested")

Who's the biggest liars, men or women?
Answer: women

1)You wear heels. You aren't that tall.

2)You have a weave? Your hair doesn't look like that.

3)You wear a bra. Your boobs aren't that big.

4)You wear makeup. Your face doesn't look like that.

*

Con:
"Men can pick and choose their women."

Con thinks men pick the woman. Ha! Women do the picking. This is why so many men are players peacocking around at the clubs like chimpanzees trying to fight over one particular female.

According to biology:
"Females tend to be the choosier sex when it comes to selecting a mate, partly because males can produce millions of sperm, whereas females' eggs are few and far between. Thus, females may be more selective because they have more invested in each gamete and in the resulting offspring. And because the availability of eggs is a limiting factor in reproductive success, males tend to compete for female attention and not vice versa."

https://www.biologycorner.com...(article)how_females_choose.html

*

Con:
"IF men are so bothered, stop going for women which wear make-up - but the facts are, you don't stop."

We aren't bothered.

We are stopping. We got together at the annual "Men Conspiring Against Women Conference" this year and will stop dating women who wear makeup effective December of 2016. Prove me wrong.

*

Con:
"Make-up is NOT cosmetic surgery, it can not alter a persons look."

Oh? I beg to differ. Here is a site of pictures of women with and without make-up. Startling...

*

Con:
"Men surely cannot be that moronic."

Con loses points for debate etiquette. Con called men morons. It also hurt my feelings. (As far as you know)

*

Con:

I don't complain.

I don't expect impossible perfection. If she has a nice butt, sexy legs, and a splendid personailty, she can lack in all other categories.

*

Con:
"If you are attracted to a woman, but are 'traumatised' when they remove their make-up, you clearly do not deserve that woman for who she is."

I'm not traumatised. A man could be in theory.

*

Con:
"Stop being so judgemental and rising to these social expectations of complete perfection."

I'm not judging. I'm picking on you. And...you like it.

*

Con:
"It all boils down to sexism, and the fact that men think women desire their approval."

There is no sexism. Women are the sexists. They want equal rights, but want immunity from the draft.

*

Con:
"Men lie about the size of their penises?"

Prove it. I don't lie about it.

*

Con:
"What if a woman wants a well endowed man?"

Then she checks him out. Once he gets his clothes off, check it out. If it does not meet your approval, then giggle and leave.

*

Con:
"Women's choice to express themselves through beauty should not be ridiculed by shallow men."

Women are the ones who are shallow. Ever heard the term "nice guys finish last"? There is a reason.
amyjones29

Con

amyjones29 forfeited this round.
brontoraptor

Pro

False Advertising-

"Deceptive advertising, also known as false advertising, refers to a manufacturer's use of confusing, misleading, or blatantly untrue statements when promoting a product."

Truth in Labeling-

Truth in labeling means that all pertinent information that a consumer should reasonably be aware of should be printed on the label of the product. This will ensure that consumers are protected, and know exactly what they are buying.

consumer.laws.com/deceptive-advertising/deceptive-advertising-definition

*

Make-up is false advertising-

The product being put out there is deceptive and misleading in that the woman represents her appearance as something it is not in reality.

*

Here is a web page with pictures of before and after pictures of women with and without their make-up. You visually and physically get 2 different responses by looking at both different pictures.

http://www.goingyourownway.com...

*

If a man puts something in his pants to make it look like he is hung like a horse, he is falsely advertising to the woman.

If a man wore a body suit in winter to make himself look muscular and cut, that is false advertising.

Do I want women to stop wearing make-up? No. Is it false advertising? Yes.
Posted by whiteflame 7 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: ForGrowthOfMind// Mod action: Removed<

2 points to Pro (Conduct, S&G). Reasons for voting decision: Con began to argue out of anger and that's why I give them argument to Pro because they had much better conduct, even though at time their argument was a bit sets it still was an argument presented in a seemingly calm and structured manner

[*Reason for removal*] (1) The voter doesn't explain S&G. (2) Conduct is insufficiently explained. The voter has to explain where misconduct played into the debate via debaters personally attacking each other or people outside the debate, or as a result of forfeits. Arguing out of anger isn't inherently misconduct.
************************************************************************