Marshall
Danielle

Women's Suffarage in the late 1800's and early to mid 1900's.

Danielle

Marshall

Pro

This argument is intended for high school research on responses in the terms of cons on the topic of Women's Suffrage in the late 1800's and early to mid 1900's. Please respond using cons and pros. I will not respond to any arguments and will not post arguments. Any assistance is accepted. Thank you.
Danielle

Con

-- Debate Function --

For those who like semantics and want to vote on the basis of the resolution alone, here is my official argument. First, the instigator's improper resolution leaves one to fill in the blanks and assume what Pro would be trying to prove. So far a personal assessment leaves one to reasonably conclude that Pro would have to defend suffrage between these years existing and I would have to demonstrate suffrage (the woman's right to vote) not existing... if you want to get technical. As such, my argument is as follows: As of 1995, women had a legal right to vote everywhere in the world except in 6 countries in the Middle East — Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and United Arab Emirates — as well as in Brunei, a small oil-rich monarchy in Southeast Asia [1]. These countries and many others particularly in the same region could obviously also not vote in the aforementioned time frame. Now, depending on my opponent's response to this (if any) I'll craft the direction of my argument from there :P

[1] http://www.pbs.org...

This concludes the technical stuff; now onto my opponent's lazy yet honest way of acquiring information for his project. The conditions for voting should end here - thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Response to Marshall --

Undoubtedly there are more PROS to Cons when discussing whether or not a woman should be able to vote, but nevertheless here's what I could come up with.

As for Cons, one is that women could now be used as a voting bloc to oppress the rights of others. For instance, the push to grant Utah women's suffrage was at least partially fueled by the belief that, given the right to vote, Utah women would dispose of polygamy. It was only after Utah women exercised their suffrage rights in favor of polygamy that the U.S. Congress disenfranchised Utah women [2]. Of course I could refute this lol but keep in mind it's not easy to think of negative reasons for promoting equality and equal worth but I digress. Another argument you could possibly make is one that was used against women at the time - that women would not really be making their own choices, but rather simply echoing the beliefs of their husbands. Meh... there's really not much more I can say in this regard, sorry. If this is insufficient let me know what you think and I'll see if I can give you anything else.

As far as PROS, are they not obvious? First, it's a human's right violation to deny a woman the same basic rights on the basis of her gender. It's immoral and unnecessary [3]. Suffrage is therefore simply right. Also, women have consistently registered to vote at a higher rate than men [4] meaning they take more initiative in government and helping to shape our society. It's been proven that women benefit directly from such participation -- for instance in helping tackle issues that affect women directly, such as rape laws and abortion. Moreover it's been demonstrated that with women in office, certain issues are brought to the forefront of political conscious specifically as a testament to various matters that particularly interest women regarding government. For example, political matters pertaining to education and health care to name a few. There are far more, but I'm pretty sure you could take it from here.

Good luck.

[2] Van Wagenen, Lola: "Sister-Wives and Suffragists: Polygamy and the Politics of Woman Suffrage 1870–1896," BYU Studies, 2001.
[3] http://www.unesco.org...
[4] Carroll, Susan: "Gender and Elections," Cambridge University Press, 2006. p. 53.
Posted by mongeese 6 years ago
mongeese
This is a debate?
Posted by lovelife 6 years ago
lovelife
Samman, its something he would say, I do not doubt it.
What your religion says doens't really matter when it comes to what Mirza would say.
Posted by BlackVoid 6 years ago
BlackVoid
Why would you accept this? He is just making you do all his research for him while he sits on his computer chair playing WoW.
Posted by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
lovelife: you're wrong. Just letting you know, women not only have the right to vote, but inheritance rights more than any women in any other religion.
Posted by FREEDO 6 years ago
FREEDO
WTF is this?
Posted by Danielle 6 years ago
Danielle
Lol lovelife. Spot on.
Posted by lovelife 6 years ago
lovelife
Also I will take the time to be Mirza

If you grant women the right to vote, then that violates the Perfect Holy Shari'a Law, its only a matter of time before they start pushing for abortion rights, lesbian rights, and gender equality. All are horrible things that causes countries to fall apart. If you promote gender equality then women will stop obeying their husbands, they will get jobs, and due to the lack of family values, and gender roles, the children will be gay, which even if not wrong violates Shari'a Law, which will lead to necrophilia, zoophilia, pedophilia etc pushing for rights, which should never be permitted. If you allow women to vote, your gay children will be raped by pedophiles.

I'm actually not sure if he'd say that, but it sounds more or less like something he'd say.
Posted by lovelife 6 years ago
lovelife
Lol yep he only wanted the info, lol
Posted by Danielle 6 years ago
Danielle
Whoops I didn't realize it'd only be one round lol.
Posted by lovelife 6 years ago
lovelife
lmao.
Why don't you ask mirza what is bad about it, I'm sure you know whats good about it.
For future reference if you need homework help go to yahoo answers, wiki answers, or if you insist on it being from here, go to the forums.
Vote Placed by BlackVoid 6 years ago
BlackVoid
MarshallDanielleTied
Vote Placed by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
MarshallDanielleTied
Vote Placed by SuperRobotWars 6 years ago
SuperRobotWars
MarshallDanielleTied
Vote Placed by Koopin 6 years ago
Koopin
MarshallDanielleTied
Vote Placed by FREEDO 6 years ago
FREEDO
MarshallDanielleTied
Vote Placed by Danielle 6 years ago
Danielle
MarshallDanielleTied