DiegoJuan403
K-Lew

Woodshop should be considered an art in High School

Started: 4/4/2016 Category: Arts

DiegoJuan403

Pro

Art-the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.
"the art of the Renaissance"

How is art different then woodshop.

Like the definition woodshop express's one imagination in a visible form.

Scroll Saw Projects look pretty nice and some may argue that they are art.

Woodshop should be consider one year of art at high school.

Images of Art
https://www.pinterest.com...
Images of Woodturing
http://veryshareimg.com...
K-Lew

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for letting me accept this debate. I will be arguing that Woodshop class should not be considered an art class, but instead as an engineering/technology class. I look forward to this debate and wish good luck to my opponent.
DiegoJuan403

Pro

Engineering-the branch of science and technology concerned with the design, building, and use of engines, machines, and structures.
the work done by, or the occupation of, an engineer.
the action of working artfully to bring something about.
"if not for Keegan's shrewd engineering, the election would have been lost"

Woodturning isn't designing or building.

I will give you that it uses machines but I will also state that making clay pots which is considered an art uses a potter wheel and stove.

Images of Pottery
http://www.shutterstock.com...
Proof that Ceramic(Pottery) is an art
https://en.wikipedia.org...
Potter Wheel
https://en.wikipedia.org...

Technology-the application of scientific knowledge for practical purposes, especially in industry.
"advances in computer technology"
machinery and equipment developed from the application of scientific knowledge.
the branch of knowledge dealing with engineering or applied sciences.

Woodshop isn't practical use.
Woodshop in America is more arts than crafts than drafting.
For example making a wall shelf isn't making a house.
The government considers woodshop more than arts and crafts but really it is.

This the projects i did this year so far.
-Sanding Block
-Wall shelf
-Pen
-Cutting Board
This is more crafts than engineering/technology.
K-Lew

Con

First of all, art class is different than woodshop class. In art class, you create products that are only for their beauty. In woodshop, you can make something that is not only beautiful, but can be useful in your life. For example, I can make a wooden hammer and use it because it beneficial when I have to remove, or put in a nail. In art class, you make something, but you primarily don't use the product. Products made in woodshop are suppose to be beneficial and used in daily life. Stuff in arts and crafts are only for appearance, nothing more. In woodshop, you do design and build materials. I just gave you an example with the wooden hammer. In woodshop, you use a computer-aid design program to design your product. Once finished, you build the product, so there are two parts to woodshop. Woodshop should be considered an engineering/technology class because you are designing and building a product for use, which is what you do in engineering. Technology not only means "advancement in computer technology", but it means advancement in society in general. The products created in woodshop advance society because they are beneficial and can make life easier. The products made in art are only for show and emotion. The concept of woodshop is not based upon this. It is based upon creating materials for everyday life. Your sources are unreliable because they are only talking about art, not woodshop. Woodshop does not require making clay pots. In woodshop, you use hard materials such as wood, plastic, or metal. Woodshop is practical use. The government doesn't take woodshop seriously and takes it as arts and crafts instead, which is a mistake, with my reasoning above. Making products such as pens, and wall shelves are way more of engineering/technology than crafts because again, they are extremely beneficial in society. Once, again your sources are unreliable.
DiegoJuan403

Pro

"First of all, art class is different than woodshop class. In art class, you create products that are only for their beauty. In woodshop, you can make something that is not only beautiful, but can be useful in your life."-K-Lew

So are you saying that art is only for beauty and since woodshop is beauty and useful than its engineering. So if your statement is true then wouldn't woodshop be technology/engineering and arts.

"Stuff in arts and crafts are only for appearance, nothing more."-K-Kew

Was that an conclusion or something you made up. There is no definition that says that in any way.

Popularity: Top 30% of words
Simple Definition of craft
: an activity that involves making something in a skillful way by using your hands
: a job or activity that requires special skill
crafts : objects made by skillful use of the hands
http://www.merriam-webster.com...

craft (kr""'ft)
n.
1. Skill in doing or making something, as in the arts; proficiency. See Synonyms at skill.
2. Skill in evasion or deception; guile.
3.
a. An occupation or trade requiring manual dexterity or skilled artistry.
b. The practitioners of such an occupation or trade considered as a group.
4. pl. craft A boat, ship, aircraft, or spacecraft.
5. crafts Items made by craftspeople.
tr.v. craft"ed, craft"ing, crafts
To make or construct (something) with care or ingenuity.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

Definition and Meaning

The term "craft" denotes a skill, usually employed in branches of the decorative arts (eg. ceramics), or in an associated artistic practice (eg. lace-making). A key feature of crafts is that they involve a high degree of "hands-on" craftsmanship (hence the colloquial term "handicrafts) rather than just skill with a machine.
http://www.visual-arts-cork.com...

See my point.

" I just gave you an example with the wooden hammer."-K-Kew

Your hammer example makes me question also if your even had woodshop because I don't recall anyone making a wooden hammer.

"In woodshop, you use a computer-aid design program to design your product."-K-Kew

Another point that makes you question if you ever had woodshop because the only time we use a computer was to make a report and get graded. What your saying is drafting.

"Technology not only means "advancement in computer technology", but it means advancement in society in general. The products created in woodshop advance society because they are beneficial and can make life easier."-K-Kew

What in woodshop makes life easier. A wall shelf?

"The products made in art are only for show and emotion. "-K-Kew

When I made my cutting board it's was beautiful and useful. From the mineral oil changing the color of the wood to a more beautiful appearance. Something only a woodshop student can understand. With this is where problems araise. If you don't have experience personal you won't relate.

My source weren't about woodshop I was comparing something that is considered art when it shouldn't be according to the definition of engineering. Which so happens to be pottery.
So my question is how is pottery not engineering when it uses machines like the potter's wheel and stove?
Keep in Note also counter the fact that you can make bowls which are the same as pots excluding building material.

"In woodshop, you use hard materials such as wood, plastic, or metal."-K-Kew

This fact is invalid you use mostly wood only time you would use plastic is when you're making a pen.

In the end some projects are more engineering than art but vise versa to.

There is wooden bowls, magic box, and woodturning so tell me how that isn't art.

The magic box is a Square with a cube inside it if that makes any sense and is used only for decoration.

I cut my wood into smaller piece that are long and narrow as an artist would slash his pencil. Then I glue them together as an artist would outline their work. I scrape the glue off as an artist would erase fix there mistakes. Then I sand it as an artist would put it's final touches. Then I finally put mineral oil as a artist would put his work in a frame.

My conclusion is that woodshop is engineering and art.

Pen=Engineering
Bowl=Art
K-Lew

Con

Before I get to my conclusion, I just want to correct my opponent on what he said previously. The concept of wood shop class is different from the concept of art class. In wood shop class, you are there to make something useful and beneficial. In art class, you are primarily there to create something beautiful and for appearance only. You can make something useful in art, but you are in art class purposely to create something for appearance usually. In wood shop, once you make the product, you can be artsy with it, by coloring it, etc. However, you are primarily there to create something useful than for beauty and emotional power. You can make your product in wood shop beautiful, but that is not the point of the class. The point is to make something that is beneficial. In a regular arts and crafts class, you are making something only for appearance. Examples would be macaroni art and watercolor paintings. In wood shop, you use more than just your hands, you use machines, such as a belt/disc sander and a miter saw. These tools are not included in art class. Arts and craft classes are not taken as seriously when compared to wood shop classes because in wood shop, you use complex machines and also use computer-aid design to draw your model. To answer your question, I did make a hammer in wood shop and a box. Not to mention, you don't use just wood, but also materials like plastic and metal. A wall shelf does make life easier. Instead of putting books randomly on the floor, you can organize them on a shelf. Your cutting board was beautiful simply because you made it that way. It wasn't necessary, but you wanted to. Your sources are unreliable because pottery isn't made in wood shop. Clay is not part of wood shop class at all. You use plastic for more products than just a pen.

My conclusion is that the products you make in wood shop can become art if you wanted it to be. Not to mention, what you may think is art may not be the same with the next person. Art is not part of the original concept of wood shop as mentioned above. In wood shop, you use both hardware and software. When making products in wood shop, you use mathematical techniques to figure the measurements of the product, not in art. You generally use a computer-aid design program before you even build. What you make out of wood shop class is primarily to be used in everyday life, not art. Making it art is simply a choice, not a requirement of the class. Not to mention, another term for woos shop class is Tech Ed because again, you use both hardware and software.

I enjoyed this debate. I wished my opponent can spell my username right, (K-Lew, not K-Kew).

My sources can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com...
http://fabworks.eng.uci.edu...
Posted by DiegoJuan403 10 months ago
DiegoJuan403
No insults just constructive criticism and tips okay SummerStaab2