patrickd
imabench

Workplace internet restrictions

imabench

patrickd

Con

Working at the eCommerce Department, I have experienced less restrictions with using the internet in the office. Apparently, my department was not as restricted as other departments but it was still rather bothersome when I was doing my research. What does internet restrictions communicate to workers? How can organizations with internet restrictions continue to develop strong relationships with its employees?

Let's face it... everyone checks their e-mail at work. I believe that organizations need to show trust in their employees and therefore, if any restrictions are put on websites, then it should be relayed to employees.

Like I use to stream music while i work. It was not counter-productive and did not bother anyone. One day, I came in and saw that the site would not load. After several days, it still would not load and my co-worker was having the same issue. Then I eventually realized that it was blocked but we did not know why. my co-worker and I felt betrayed and frustrated since we were not doing anything wrong and listening to music has a huge impact on my work outputs than having no music at all. It Keeps me going..

And I believe freedom of information from the web is a must! in every field like Marketing, Creative, & Executive.
imabench

Pro

"What does internet restrictions communicate to workers?"

It says 'we pay you to work and do as your told, not to screw around on the internet when you should be doing your job.'

"How can organizations with internet restrictions continue to develop strong relationships with its employees?"

By paying them...

" I believe that organizations need to show trust in their employees and therefore, if any restrictions are put on websites, then it should be relayed to employees."

Corporations arent obligated to trust their employees at all, all they are required to do is pay them for their work. If they feel that they are paying their workers too much for their level of productivity, they are more than within their right to do what they feel is necessary to increase productivity, namely restrict internet access.

"my co-worker and I felt betrayed and frustrated since we were not doing anything wrong and listening to music has a huge impact on my work outputs than having no music at all"

Chances are thats not true, since listening to music while you do something has been shown to decrease productivity and how well you perform.
http://www.ehow.com...
http://www.whatsbestnext.com...
http://www.webmd.com...

Corporations have good reason to limit access to websites and the internet in general if they feel that some sites can cause their workers to become distracted or unproductive. Here is a list of just a few websites that could logically be restricted because they can prove to be distracting and disruptive to other workers.
1) Pornhub or any porn site
2) Facebook
3) Tumblr
4) Twitter
5) Addictinggames.com
6) Any website meant to play games on
7) Chat Roulette
8) Omeagle
9) Any website designed to get you to converse with people you have never/will never meet in real life
10) pinterest
11) 9gag
12) Reddit
13) Memebase
13) Any website where you can easily become preoccupied for over 3 hours due to cats or memes or anything else for that matter
14) Any website that explains why you should shoot up your workplace
15) Any website that is a home for a hate group like the KKK, Neo Nazis, or the Westboro Baptist Church
16) Debate.org
17) Createdebate
18) Any other debate site where you can get caught up arguing with a complete stranger over irrelevant stuff
19) Any site that is likely to give a network or a computer a virus

There are tons of sites on the internet that a workplace has good reason to limit access to to either protect their assets and workers or to just keep their employees from screwing around during office hours while getting paid.
patrickd

Con

patrickd forfeited this round.
imabench

Pro

Extend all arguments
patrickd

Con

There is a lot than just screwing-up on the internet,One of the big advantages of allowing free access is that the Internet is a great source of information. This Information could be put to good use in the workplace.

When a company is not able to encourage the employees to focus on their tasks, wants to force them by forbidding other things that might be distracting! While, the lack of strong management, staffing, planning and a system which employees are requested to accomplish their duties; is leading to create difficulties.

Employer-employee relationship should be based on mutual trust and understanding. Employees falling to procrastination during work is usually a sign of bad management, rather than a bad employee. And censorship is not really a true solution to the problem.

listening to music while you do something has been shown to decrease productivity and how well you perform.

Different strokes for different folks here..

In biological terms, melodious sounds help encourage the release of dopamine in the reward area of the brain, as would eating a delicacy, looking at something appealing or smelling a pleasant aroma, said Dr. Amit Sood, a physician of integrative medicine with the Mayo Clinic.

People’s minds tend to wander, “and we know that a wandering mind is unhappy,” Dr. Sood said. “Most of that time, we are focusing on the imperfections of life.” Music can bring us back to the present moment.

“It breaks you out of just thinking one way,” said Teresa Lesiuk, an assistant professor in the music therapy program at the University of Miami.

Dr. Lesiuk’s research focuses on how music affects workplace performance. In one study involving information technology specialists, she found that those who listened to music completed their tasks more quickly and came up with better ideas than those who didn’t, because the music improved their mood.

http://www.nytimes.com...

Censorship is not the solution.
imabench

Pro

"the Internet is a great source of information. This Information could be put to good use in the workplace."

The internet gives good information for your work yes, but youre not going to find that information on sites like facbook, twitter, or pornhub.....

"When a company is not able to encourage the employees to focus on their tasks, wants to force them by forbidding other things that might be distracting! While, the lack of strong management, staffing, planning and a system which employees are requested to accomplish their duties; is leading to create difficulties."

I dont even know what youre argument is here because of how bad the grammar is....

"Employees falling to procrastination during work is usually a sign of bad management, rather than a bad employee."

That is bull crap and everyone knows it. Have you ever had your mind wander while in class when the teacher was teaching math? We've all done that at one point, and its not the teachers fault either. If you cant focus on the task youre working on because you distract yourself, thats your own fault not anyone elses.

"And censorship is not really a true solution to the problem."

Its not a true solution but is sure helps the problem of employees not being able to focus on their work due to them screwing around on the internet all the time........

"Censorship is not the solution."

We're not talking about internet censorship here we're talking about internet restrictions.... Theres a massive difference between the two.

Vote Pro
Vote Placed by malcolmxy 4 years ago
malcolmxy
patrickdimabenchTied
Reasons for voting decision: unvoted
Vote Placed by LaL36 4 years ago
LaL36
patrickdimabenchTied
Reasons for voting decision: Okay I know you see seven points and you assume votebomb but this is not the case. Conduct: con forfeited. Spelling and grammar: used semicolons when unnecessary when neither pro or I was able to comprehend the argument. Argument: pro made it clear. They pay you to do your job not to screw around the Internet. And sources: pro used much more sources and they were reliable.