RepublicanView333
Lithobolos

World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) isn't just fake fighting.

RepublicanView333

Pro

Now don't just vote Con b/c you hate wrestling or think its fake...thats not the point of this debate. I first wanted to do this debate ealry Christmas Eve at after watching the WWE RAw Tribute to the Troops show where the WWE brings its Superstars literally to Iraq and puts on a show for them for Christmas. That is when i realized WWE is a better company than the media puts it up for...the WWE makes a differance in the world...and its more than just a fake fighting show
Lithobolos

Con

While looking at what pro wrestling is by definition one must come to the conclusion that it is wrestling that is "worked" or fake. But based on the debate starters post, it seems this debate is not really about that. The assertion is not "World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) isn't just fake fighting." but that "WWE is a better company than the media puts it up for...the WWE makes a difference in the world..."

Now with this I have issue with. WWE is a company that does not just sell worked wrestling, it sells cheap story lines, shallow machismo and stereotyping that hurts both young men and women by giving them weird caricatures to idolize.

Young people are taught being some giant big mouth punk is the coolest thing in the world. Their heroes don't agonize of any serious issues, their women are shaky and fake and any overture to people in the military in Iraq does little to make up for the negative impact on popular culture that is WWE.

WWE makes the world worse not better.
RepublicanView333

Pro

WWE is more than just:

"selling cheap story lines, shallow machismo and stereotyping"

Every week the WWE wrestlers travel to different parts of the country and the world and put on a show...Yes, it is fake and worked but it takes a lot out of the wrestlers to go out there and throw there bodies around.

Heres what they do in a week:

Travel ____ amount of miles to get to the next show.

set up the arena

Work out

Attend autograph sessions and meet and greets

Then put on the show

It takes alot out of these people to do this...there is no offseason in the WWE they don't have 3-6 months off in the year to get healthy. They have to do all that every week, keep up with there health and still put on the show...These people have to be specially trained to do this...throw 200-400 pound bodies over themselves...take a fall (physically), and to just do that for 30 miutes at a time...I'd like to see you or anyone else just go out and wrestle for a week and survive.

Now in wreslting...its not about being "about the serious issues" the wrestlers job description is to entertain week in and out. These superstars keep there bodies in top condition...is it bad to look up to someone who is that built. If it isk, is it wrong to look up to the competitior on "worlds stronget men' or American Gladator. I think its great people can work up to being as physically built as some of the people they watch on the WWE. Better than looking up to Paris Hilton or Britney Spears. Am i right?

Mow the overture the WWe does to Iraq has nothing to do with "making up" to anyone. Its about giving back to the ones who keep us safe. Every christmas the WWE literally goes to Iraq and puts on a show for the soldiers who can't be home with there family. And the soldiers really appriciate it just look at some of the pictures:

http://www.wwe.com...

http://www.wwe.com...

http://www.wwe.com...

http://www.wwe.com...

It is the only cable show to actually go and broadcast in Iraq. Its the only one that sreaches out with its whole company to thank the Soldiers...never mind with the Magnitude that the WWE does it with...
Lithobolos

Con

"Yes, it is fake and worked but it takes a lot out of the wrestlers to go out there and throw there bodies around."

I'm not saying that professional wrestling is not hard. I'm saying that the male soap opera that is WWE is a perversion of what professional wrestling can be. Sexist, racist and one dimensional bad guys.

I know they work hard to put on a show, but the fact is these people are not even good at fake wrestling. For example, from what I have seen, Japanese professional wrestlers use more realistic techniques then WWE.

There is also a difference between looking up to an athlete who truly competes with other athletes and a fake character with less worth then most action movie stars.

"Mow the overture the WWe does to Iraq has nothing to do with "making up" to anyone."

Have you seen "The Marine" with John Cena??? the WWE has a lot of making up to do for that terrible movie. I bet there are also people who are more likely to watch the WWE because they went to Iraq. This means that the WWE as a company really has not lost or sacrificed anything with this publicity stunt.

They are also not the only actors or athletes to spend time with troops in both Afghanistan and Iraq.

There are negative cultural impacts caused by WWE; In portrayals of women(WWE Divas) and minorities (Muhammad Hassan, Kamala) and steroids.

"It takes alot out of these people to do this...there is no offseason in the WWE they don't have 3-6 months off in the year to get healthy."

Thats because there is no union and the wrestlers are getting taken advantage of. Just anther example of why WWE is a bad thing.
RepublicanView333

Pro

Lithobolos,...

I probably should of titled this debate bettr...but clearly b/c of ur first statement you understood what i was getting at...This debate is about the unfair bias the media gives the WWE and other pro wrestling Companies.

Now my first statement

The media makes it sound like the superstars are just prissy little actors that go out and pretend to fight. I gave you resons that it is a lot harder to be a WWE superstar than the media says it is.

Now i beg to differ that "these people are not even good"...the WWe superstars are some of the best there are...just b/c they don't go out and try to break each others necks is no reason to down grade there accomplishments...

Now to compare a wwe wrestler w/ a movie star isn't a fair fight. The WWE siperstars have to:

set up the arena

Work out

Then put on the show

The movie stars first of all stay on the same set the whole movie...The movie star doesn't help set the arena up...The movie star has all the time in the worlds to work out but the wrestlers still need to do all this and work out...movie stars don't do meet and greets in between shoots...the movie stars have countless takes...the WWE superstarshave one take to do it...even if they know whats going to happen...and the superstars do all there own stunts...the movie stars have "stunt doubles"

Now i'll admit...I HATED the Marine...but there were people who LOVED it...WWE fan and not...

And how the hell can you call the Tribute to the Troops trip a "publicity stunt" did you even look at my photos? What do the actors and celebrities do when they do to the Mid east...sign there pictures and say to hell with you?...The WWE puts on a emotional show in the time of the year when the troops can't be with the ones they lov...and they do it EVERY YEAR...do the "other" actors and celebrities do that?????

Now there may be a "few...few...few...few" negative aspects but do you remember this one..."train, eat your vitamins, say your prayer" by one ofthe biggest names in our life times Hulk Hogan, who preached that to the thousands of kids that watched him...

The WWE has always
Lithobolos

Con

"This debate is about the unfair bias the media gives the WWE and other pro wrestling Companies."

I have yet to see an example of how the media does this. Is there a specific story or group of stories that could be shown to say "this is what they said wrestling is and it is untrue'?

I do not believe I or the media have said "wrestlers don't work hard" or "professional wrestling is easy"

The debate to me was if WWE alone is worthwhile and positive. I think I have given plenty of examples of how WWE is negative and the fact that I am not condemning worked wrestling in general is also in my favor.

I did look at those pictures and I could not help but notice the payed advertisement for the Nation Guard on the side of the page. I also saw part of the special on TV. As I said before, for the WWE to send its people to Iraq to do a show is not a sacrifice considering the good publicity and the advertising money.

WWE does not have a union to protect its wrestlers, steroids continue to be a problem, it has sexist and racist characters, it is a terrible excuse for a male soap opera and is not the greatest exhibition of wrestling techniques.

It seems to me that WWE is only interested in making money with complete disregard to its harmful cultural impact.
Posted by RepublicanView333 8 years ago
RepublicanView333
Movies and TV are fake but people still watch them...just b/c the WWE et al are fake "fighting" does that make it bad...look at the movies like Bad Boys, Alien v. Pretator...these bull movies which r far worse than the WWE
Posted by Daysuit 9 years ago
Daysuit
"Have you seen "The Marine" with John Cena???"
That's what I call a slam dunk.
Posted by Lithobolos 9 years ago
Lithobolos
"What he's saying is that for WWe to solely get attacked for "sexist", and "racist" factors is bis compared to BET and MTV which is way more sexist and racist he said nothing about your like or dislikes..."

I did not make the debate and no one ever said it was the most sexist or racist thing on TV. Media also criticize both those stations.

So it seems to me that he is either trying to give WWE a pass because it is not the single dumbest form of entertainment out there or he is accusing me of liking MTV or BET.

Either way it has nothing to do with this debate or con's inability to respond to my critiques.
Posted by lunarskye 9 years ago
lunarskye
Bringing in comparisons to other forms of media or entertainment is wholly irrelevant to the debate at hand. Saying one form of media, professional wrestling, is better or more positive in regards to its influences compared to MTV or BET is not the point. This should not be asking what is the lesser of two evils.

I also vote Con, due to Pro's seeming failure to back up and completely define the debated question. Does traveling to support troops (which is all well and good), make up for and elevate the WWE beyond the negative influences and stereotypes it imposes on society as a form of media itself? I don't think so.
Posted by RepublicanView333 9 years ago
RepublicanView333
What he's saying is that for WWe to solely get attacked for "sexist", and "racist" factors is bis compared to BET and MTV which is way more sexist and racist he said nothing about your like or dislikes...
Posted by Lithobolos 9 years ago
Lithobolos
Who said i liked what MTV and BET show??
Posted by FiredUpRepublican 9 years ago
FiredUpRepublican
I think it is ignorant to demean WWE while MTV and BET air some of the sluttiest and controversial stuff I've ever seen.
Posted by Lithobolos 9 years ago
Lithobolos
Thanks to all who voted for me and good debate to pro
Posted by Pluto2493 9 years ago
Pluto2493
I vote con.

I am one of those people that votes solely on the debate, and pro never answered sexist and racist characters and the only offense on the pro side was the Iraq War pictures. And looking at those, I see the advertisements too.
Posted by RepublicanView333 9 years ago
RepublicanView333
what was so bad about kamala...kamala was cool...
Vote Placed by PrvnMthws 7 years ago
PrvnMthws
RepublicanView333LithobolosTied
Vote Placed by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
RepublicanView333LithobolosTied
Vote Placed by avahlicious 8 years ago
avahlicious
RepublicanView333LithobolosTied
Vote Placed by Daysuit 9 years ago
Daysuit
RepublicanView333LithobolosTied
Vote Placed by MarxistKid 9 years ago
MarxistKid
RepublicanView333LithobolosTied
Vote Placed by Rlancer55 9 years ago
Rlancer55
RepublicanView333LithobolosTied
Vote Placed by solo 9 years ago
solo
RepublicanView333LithobolosTied
Vote Placed by BronxBomber7 9 years ago
BronxBomber7
RepublicanView333LithobolosTied
Vote Placed by broes2863 9 years ago
broes2863
RepublicanView333LithobolosTied
Vote Placed by ojmartinez25 9 years ago
ojmartinez25
RepublicanView333LithobolosTied