prossnip42
DumbellDoor

Would A World Without Religion Be Better?

DumbellDoor

prossnip42

Pro

Would a World Without Religion be better? I believe so. I mean just think for a second about that. Almost the entirety of the world's problems currently are thanks to religion. The middle East,terrorist attacks all over Europe,anti abortion morons,the KKK,The Westboro Baptist Church and so on and so forth. But some people like to say "Oh well Religious texts like the Bible and the Koran have some very good morals and it's thanks to them that we are civilized the way we are today!" Because,you know...humans don't have a brain what so ever. they can't think rationally and determine what's wrong and what's right,am I right guys? Let's not even mention the fact that morality is subjective but that's another debate entirely. So yeah I do indeed believe that a world without religion would be a much better world. But that's just my opinion
DumbellDoor

Con

Wars that happen to involve two sides that are vastly of one particular section or religion never (and I mean never ever) had anything to do with religion.

Think about why people fight; to be group feels undervalued/cheated, the other defends their superiority. What is an easy way to segregat people and decide who is on which side of a war? Religion is [b]one of many[/b] including race, profession, income bracket and even something as basic as where someone was born.

The important thing to see here is religion is the excuse for keeping one side hating the other, never the cause.

Religion divides just as much as it [i]unites[/i] which is something that Pro leaves out. The very fact that wars can be perpetuated (not caused) by religion is because of how powerful it is at making those on one side of the war overlook their differences and work in harmony.

Humans ripped each other to pieces, raped the women of the dominated tribes long before any formal religions existed. Humans are an I hereby abusivensoecies when it comes to power and territory but since not everyone is a psychopath, stories had to be invented to help justify fuel actions as well as encourage kindness towards the evil despite it. Without religion, division will still occur but the social cohesion and unity it provides (as wellness comfort regarding mortality) are unparalleled with any other means.
prossnip42

Pro

Thank you for responding to the open debate

=Response=
Yes,religion can indeed unite people,I'm not denying that what so ever. However religion has been both the cause and the reason for 2 groups hating each other. Do you think that the Spanish inquisition burned people at the stake for thinking they're witches or warlocks because they just felt like it and religion was the perfect excuse? No! They too did believe that they were witches/warlocks and by the order of God they executed them. Same goes for other religions. you think that groups like ISIS and Al Quaeda were just picked religion as a random reason to kill people? Of course not. They got their inspiration from the Koran itself and I can go on and on. And yes,religion does help one side of the conflict overlook their differences with one another but it also makes that one side despise everybody who doesn't agree with them. As far as the last part of your counter argument goes,I am fully aware that the human species did kill each other before religion even existed because we are a very violent species. But believe that my point still stands...Without religion there would be no ISIS,There would be no KKK,there would be no Westboro Baptist Church and so on and so forth
DumbellDoor

Con

Without religion you say there's be no KKK, believe me when I say that religion was some nonsense they used to justify their real cause which was racism (actually their real cause was just staying in power whenthe Northern states were slowly becoming more negro-friendly; the racism itself was a disguise of its own).

ISIS would not have the first I, instead it would come up with some other mumbo jumbo thing to jsutify what it is doing and instead of a 'god' it would use an 'alien' or something intangible to humans to keep people feeling like they are favored by something so above any others that they'd do what no other would do.

WBC would exist without religion. Yes, it really would. The hatred of gays as well as traditional beliefs of gender roles can easily be held by an atheist. Religion is the excuse for the hostility, it is not the cause.

The Spanish Inquisition was due to people using religion as a reason to stop others being allowed to do certain things. The actual idiots who believed they were hunting witches were like 0.01% influential in the entire thing, that was just a sidetrack. The war was actually Catholics making Jews scared of them in order to shake up the political landscape and put non-Jews back in positions of influence so it was ultimately about politics and power, religion was again a means.
prossnip42

Pro

Indeed the KKK was racists and certainly they would exist without religion. But if religion did not exist they would not have as much support as they had. Same goes for ISIS. You think that ISIS would be getting millions of funds a month from middle eastern countries if religion did not exist,of course not. Same thing applies to the WBC as well
DumbellDoor

Con

My fundamental argument from Round 1 was that religion has many Pros that not only outweigh the Cons but prove that religion is nothing more than an afterthought in conflict that ends up being a convenient scapegoat for political agendas to be served.

Pro conceded everything but keeps saying that religion has been involved in some bad things. This does not prove that the drawbacks of religion outweight the benefits and Pro never even countered my benefits.

In conclusion, Pro has unfulfilled their burden of proof and I win by default.
Posted by FollowerofChrist1955 1 year ago
FollowerofChrist1955
The way of eternal life through salvation in the gospels, is perhaps the most misunderstood of the present era. Largely because people in their own interpretations (a thing forbidden IN the Bible)
2 Peter 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation.
Theologians, scholars and laypersons continue to violate this directive, is it a wonder that so many versions of the gospels exist. It is true that in the end times shall come deceiving spirits, who by cunning speech, lure man into a belief system that only relies solely on mans intellect and logic. This of course is in error, as God is so far removed from our way of thinking, as stated in scripture.

1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaks expressly that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to deceitful spirits, and doctrines of demons;

Isaiah 55:8-9 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways saith the Lord. 9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

The way of salvation is these:
Romans 10: 9-10 if you declare with your mouth "Jesus is Lord" and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.

Nothing more and nothing less. In this is the "Gift" of eternal life freely given to you, all requirements for salvation are done and completed in their entirety by Christ blood sacrifice ALONE. You can add nothing to or take away from this gift, it is DONE. ETERNAL life IS yours.
FollowerofChrist1955
AND YET:
Your eternities is only a heartbeat away!
- A car crash
- A stray bullet
- An unexpected stroke
- You have an appointment and you are going to die on time!
- No accidents in Gods kingdom
- Where will you find yourself?
- How sure are you?
- What is the basis of your conviction?

Your right to CHOOSE ends upon your death. I KNOW. Can you truly say the same?
The responsibility is yours, as is its consequence. People want to make it someone else's job to "prove" Gods existence too them. Wrong my friend I have no such requirement. Mine is to tell you as is required in Ezekiel 3:18-19

18 When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.

19 Yet if thou warn the wicked, and he turn not from his wickedness, nor from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul.

You have been so warned. Seek Him while you are still able..... sup to you.
Posted by kasavayal 1 year ago
kasavayal
Yes world without religions will be far better. Religions have played havoc on the life of people all through the history. Many wars have been fought on religious lines. Religion alienates people on religious lines. Neighbor becomes an alien because he or she belongs to another religion. Religion created during different periods and at different places depending on the then social environments cannot have universal application. We all must realize one fundamental fact that religion is for man and man is not for religion. The physical culture based on religious prescriptions such as cross threads over the chest by Hindus, the wearing of cross by Christians , wearing caps and sporting beards by Muslims and turbans by Sikhs have contributed in no mall measure to the problem of alienation from one another. All these religious prescriptions have become irrelevant today. But still people give lot of importance to these aspects that leads to immediate alienation from one another. It is time that we follow a single religion that is HUMANISM.
Posted by persianimmortal 1 year ago
persianimmortal
I would be willing to re-debate anyone on this awesome topic.
FollowerofChrist1955
Hmmm;
It appears to me that "BURNING FOREVER IN A LAKE OF FIRE" would probably be my most immediate concern? But that's just me. I don't think your typos are gonna really be a big deal there!
Posted by DumbellDoor 1 year ago
DumbellDoor
sorry for round one typos i was typing fast on a smartphone and didnt notice autocorrect
Posted by The_Debater1.618 1 year ago
The_Debater1.618
Religion separates the people and that's a fact, but it's also a fact that in the human's nature is to believe in something bigger than him something supernatural. Religion gives faith, it gives willpower, wisdom and knowledge but only to those who understand it. See the religion is great tool for manipulation that's used by the government to the people who have already misunderstood the religion. For example the Islamic terrorists create very wrong and bad picture about the Islam, but in fact the terror isn't made by the Islam it's made by the government and it's made for the goals of the government but this terror wears the mask of the Islam on it's face. It's very smart move by the government because after the attacks they will come as saviours and they will turn out as heroes and they'll be saying cliches as: We do everything that's in our power, we will stop them etc. What I want to say with this is that the religion no matter if it's Buddhism, Christianity, Islam or other religion can be very useful to the people who understand it, for the people who do not divide themselves by the religion, wealth and language, but it can be poisonous for the people who misunderstand it and the people who do not understand the religion and think of themselves as big believers can harm the people who understand it. Now let's get to the main point. Religion existed it exists and will continue to exists, and the problem is not in the religion it's in the use and understanding of the religion by the believers and the atheists. From this we come to conclusion that there are 3 ways to end this kind of problems including dividing the human race, terror etc. they are:
1. Creating one universal Religion (Close to impossible),
2. Changing the people's ways of understanding the religion and the way of it's using (will take a lot of time but it's possible).
3. To erase all the religions and all the people become atheists (impossible)
Correct me if I'm wrong or choose between 1 or
Posted by Iacov 1 year ago
Iacov
John Lenin is that you?
Vote Placed by Ragnar 1 year ago
Ragnar
prossnip42DumbellDoorTied
Reasons for voting decision: S&G: numerous typos, enough that con had to apologize in the comment section. Example: "ISIS would not have the first I, instead it would come up with some other mumbo jumbo thing to jsutify what it is doing and instead of a 'god' it would use an 'alien' or something intangible" first what? Justify, more commas. ARGUMENT: pro was weak trying to uphold his ideas against disagreement, he even failed to catch the alien worship is still religion. In the end that these things pro dislikes would still happen anyway seems agreed upon by both debaters, the harm of religion being a scapegoat does not outweigh it's ability to unify across racal and other lines.