sketchb
Hillary4Prez

Would Hillary Clinton Make a Good President?

sketchb

Con

Hello! Here's how this debate will work:

R1: Acceptance
R2: Arguments
R3: Rebuttals
R4: Rebuttals to Rebuttals.

Please note that I didn't say that Hillary would be the worst EVER, just that she would be a bad president. So we're not arguing who was/is the worst president.

Good luck!
Hillary4Prez

Pro

I accept and am looking forward to an enlightening debate on a controversial topic!

I have one request of my own: Can we both agree to keep Bill Clinton's policies and flaws as a president out of this debate?
sketchb

Con

Wow, you excepted fast! I agree to not include Bill in the debate.

Here are my main overarching arguments:

1. Benghazi
2. Character

I'll start off with Benghazi, since that's the one I'm most fumed about.

BENGHAZI:

Imagine you're in the ambassador to Lybia's shoes. You're sending constant emails and phone calls for help, but you're ignored. You eventually, you know, GET KILLED along with three other men. How would your ghost feel? Clinton was on the recieving end of these phone calls and emails, and she pretty much ignored each and every one. When questioned about it later, she and Obama both blamed it on a stupid, stupid anti-Islam video. They JAILED the guy that made the video. Do we really want a president that will imprison someone so she'll look better? That will let someone DIE just because she might not like them?

Talking about her email scandal, WHICH IS RELATED, the Benghazi emails show she knew what was going to happen but did nothing. She even sent an email to a family member saying she knew about it but would blame it on something else. Many of her emails contain SECRET or even TOP SECRET files that, if a random person hacked into her personal email and got a hold of those files, could wreck havoc! Do we really want a president that doesn't care about national security? That ignores pleas for help by the people?

CHARACTER:

Secret service members complained in the book The Clintons' War on Women that Clinton was being a jerk to them and snubbing them (as in swearing to them and implying that she didn't care about their work). Are you kidding me?! These people were assigned to PROTECT you, Clinton, and you don't even care that they're trying to keep you safe? Do we really want a president that doesn't care about other people's work?

Clinton is also a big LIAR. She lied in Benghazi, she lies in debates, she lied when she was first lady, she LIES, LIES, LIES!!! She abuses her power to lie. She'll even lie when she doesn't have to. She even lied about the fact that someone tried to kill her during the 2008 election. Why?! There's no reason to lie there. And if she lied just because she could, why do we even trust anything she says? Lying always fails in the end. Do we really want a president that will lie to make her look better?

That's all for now, but I could continue on forever like this - I have other stuff to do. I'd love to hear your arguments soon. Please don't include any rebuttals until the 3rd round.

sketchb
Hillary4Prez

Pro

Hillary4Prez forfeited this round.
sketchb

Con

Before you vote Hillary4Prez down for forfeiting, look in the comments; his argument is there. He was on a trip and couldn't put his arguments down.

As for rebuttals in the order of arguments:

Experience:

"In the current instability of world matters, we need someone who has an extensive skill set pertaining to foreign affairs...." If she really knows how to run a country, would she really leave four Americans for dead?!

"She's already proven it through her executive work." Can I have some examples of this? The quote is useless without evidence and websites, because as far as I know, all she's ever done in government is lie, lie, lie.

"...She has unparalleled knowledge of how the presidency works and its roles." She wouldn't be in government if she didn't know how the system works! And once you know the system, you find ways to bypass the system. If she knows how to bypass the system (which she does), than can we really expect her to be trustworthy? As shown in my arguments, it's already been proven that she lies unnecessarily.

Policy:

"...We can all count on Hillary to forward policies that benefit the American people." Again, I need examples. Whenever someone asks her about her policies (look at the Democratic debates!), she's very vague and will avoid answering the question.

"She can...forward strong progressive ideals that will benefit everybody rather than just the prople at the top." In what way does capitalism just benefit people at the top? It's supposed to benefit everybody, and the only reason it isn't is because we have a bad president in right now that is plunging our country into debt. Is progressivism really a good thing? Obama said he wanted "change" when he was running for president. He never said what kind of change. Progressivism wants the kind of change Obama is doing, and it obviously isn't working well.

"As a woman, her acquiring the presidency would break numerous negative societal stereotypes about women." Women are already being treated as equal to men (except for those weirdos out there who think otherwise). Would you vote for Hillary just because she's a woman?

I'm looking foward to hear your rebuttals. Please do not include any rebuttals to my rebuttals here.
Hillary4Prez

Pro

I would like some proof that Hillary is complicit in the Benghazi attacks. Perhaps a link to a news article or something of that sort.

Here is my proof that she is not:

Hillary was grilled for eleven hours by a mostly Republican, extremely partisan committee. In all of these eleven hours, the Republicans in that committee found nothing incriminating. You and I both know that if there had been anything whatsoever that she had done even slightly wrong--even the breach of an obscure irrelevant protocol--they would have fallen all over it and blown it out of proportion. I think it's funny that we haven't heard anything from that House Committee since. You'd think that if Hillary had been complicit, they would be talking about it--a lot. But no, not a peep. So it would logically follow that Hillary was not complicit in the aforementioned attacks.

You say that "[Hillary and Obama] JAILED the guy that made the video. Do we really want a president that will imprison someone so she'll look better?" Let's inject some truth in this debate. The man who made the video, Mark Basseley Youseff, was found guilty two years to the attack of bank fraud. He had stolen numerous Social Security numbers and other information, including those of a six-year-old child. He was sentenced to 21 months in prison and five years on probation. After the making of the video, he was found guilty of violating his probation and was put back in jail. This is the imprisonment you speak of. Hillary and Obama had nothing to do with it. Furthermore, the arrest didn't even have anything to do with the video, "Innocence of Muslims." To suggest that the President of the United States and one of his top Cabinet members would target people using the justice system is ridiculous and false. Do you understand that the President has nothing to do with federal court investigations?

About the emails--I am willing to concede this point. It's not that I can't think of an argument, it's that I agree that this was totally irresponsible. I do believe that, as president, Hillary would be much more careful and a situation like this could be averted.

For the character points: She may have done some bad things in the 1990's. However, throughout the current campaign season, she has shown herself to be an adamant supporter of people who help her. She has strong relationships with all of her campaign staff. In addition, she has shown herself to be a strong advocate for the common worker, creating tax incentives to prevent outsourcing, paid parental leave, and fighting for a higher minimum wage. People can change, and this is strong evidence that she has.

About the lying: All politicians lie. According to Politifact:

13% of Marco Rubio's statements have been completely true;

21% of Barack Obama's statements have been completely true;

14% of Bernie Sanders' statements have been completely true;

Only 6% of Ted Cruz's statements have been completely true.

By comparison, 23% of Hillary Clinton's statements have been completely true. Among modern politicians, this is very good. So if you are arguing that Hillary would be a bad president because of her lies, you are talking about all politicians, not just about Hillary.

http://www.politifact.com...

http://www.politifact.com...

http://www.politifact.com...

http://www.politifact.com...

http://www.politifact.com...

Eagerly awaiting your responses!

sketchb

Con

I'm sorry, but I can't post right now. My rebuttals will be in the comments. Please expect them within 1 day.
Hillary4Prez

Pro

Well, you haven't posted your rebuttals yet and I'm running out of time, so I'm going to post now.

"If she really knows how to run a country, would she really leave four Americans for dead?!" You have provided no evidence for this other than your vague references to "trustworthy news websites." The Republican House committee that investigated her found nothing that made her complicit in the attacks. This proves your argument about Benghazi wrong.

When I simply said that she's already proven her experience through her executive work, I simply meant that she was extremely qualified. In President Obama's video endorsement of her, for example, he said, "...I don't think there's ever been someone so qualified to hold this office." No quote is necessary because you and I both know that she is extremely qualified.

There is no system to "bypass." There is no way to bypass the Constitution. This argument is invalid because there simply is no way to "cheat" the system as you say. The more knowledge you have, the more efficient and adept you get. That's all that political experience means.

For your policy rebuttals:

You ask for examples. Hillary has pledged to: Reform campaign finance, take strong pro-environment positions, expand early childhood and higher education, fix the country's crumbling infrastructure, impose strong gun control laws to keep the people safe, expand and fix Obamacare, advance paid family leave legislation, protect veterans, and keep Wall Street on a short leash so that it can never cause a recession again.

How do we know progressivism is a good thing? When the society all contributes to basic human rights such as higher education and healthcare, it helps all workers to reach their full potential and grow the economy.

"Women are already being treated as equal to men (except for those weirdos out there who think otherwise). Would you vote for Hillary just because she's a woman?" I happen to be one of these weirdos. Simply look at things like the huge gender pay gap (women only earn 79 cents to a man's dollar for the same job) and the constant pressure in our society for women and girls to look beautiful. If a female president was elected, it would cause a lot of these societal inequalities to be reexamined and rejected. And no, I wouldn't vote for Hillary just because she's a woman. I would vote for her because of her excellent policies and qualifications for the job of President of the United States.

Thanks for the great debate!
Posted by Rightreform 1 year ago
Rightreform
Which clearly does not work in the comments section, but at least now you know the commands
Posted by Rightreform 1 year ago
Rightreform
Great debate so far. I appreciate that no one has quit, and that the debate has continued in the comments section. SketchB you can use the same marks that are used on forum posts that <strong>bold </strong><em>italicize </em>and <ins>underline</ins>. Then you can add emphasis while controlling tone. Sometimes I write my debates in a forum then copy and paste back to the debate, without posting on a forum. Good luck you guys great job!
Posted by sketchb 1 year ago
sketchb
I should probably point out that when I put words in ALL CAPS, I'm not yelling at you or anybody else. It's just for EMPHASIS.
Posted by Hillary4Prez 1 year ago
Hillary4Prez
Okay.
Posted by sketchb 1 year ago
sketchb
Please don't expect a rebuttal from me until Sunday afternoon, I have church tomorrow and school stuff to do today.
Posted by Hillary4Prez 1 year ago
Hillary4Prez
Thank you for your lenience!

Now for arguments.

1. Experience

According to her campaign website, "Hillary Clinton has served as secretary of state, senator from New York, first lady of the United States, first lady of Arkansas, a practicing lawyer and law professor, activist, and volunteer..." (https://www.hillaryclinton.com...) She is by far the most experienced candidate running for president and has the tools that a president would need to get the job done. She is the only candidate currently running that has as extensive executive experience as she does. As secretary of state, she has unparalleled knowledge of how the presidency works and its roles. In the current instability of world matters, we need someone who has an extensive skill set pertaining to foreign affairs and other things. Hillary Clinton would be a very skilled and adept at a high office such as the presidency. She's already proven it through her executive work.

2. Policy

If she is elected to office, we can all count on Hillary to forward policies that benefit the American people. She would push strong solutions to issues such as income inequality and the gender wage gap. She can be relied upon to forward strong progressive ideals that will benefit everybody rather than just the people at the top, and she will ultimately make our culture better. As a woman, her acquiring the presidency would break numerous negative societal stereotypes about women.

I'd like to go on, but I'm running out of characters. I would again like to apologize for not being able to post an argument in the debate section.

Eagerly awaiting your response!
Posted by sketchb 1 year ago
sketchb
Don't worry about it! You can go ahead and post your argument here in the comments.
Posted by Hillary4Prez 1 year ago
Hillary4Prez
I sincerely apologize for forfeiting the round. I was very busy with school and just didn't have time to post an argument. I realize this is unorthodox, but shall I post my arguments in this section so that you have something to rebuke?
Posted by sketchb 1 year ago
sketchb
I should point out that my arguments is common knowledge if you look at trustworthy news websites.