ilovejews7
grandma-complex

Would a surgeon general label work to mitigate carbon dioxide consumption?

grandma-complex has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

ilovejews7

Pro

With heatwaves allergies and viruses becoming more prevalent, climate change will undoubtedly continue to increase american health risks, especially as more man made carbon dioxide exasperates the vulnerable atmosphere. Therefore, a surgeon general label, as seen on tobacco products, may be a successful deterrent for products such as beef and oil, that are primarily responsible for the current alarming level of atmospheric carbon dioxide. since its inception in 1964, the surgeon general label has been successful at preventing the consumption of tobacco products. So would a similar label work for products that emit carbon dioxide, discouraging people from driving aimlessly as well as consuming beef ?

excuse my unedited grammar punctuation bad sentence structure run on sentence
grandma-complex

Con

I'd like to thank Pro for such an interesting debate topic. This should be fun to debate.

There are two points I'd like to make in this first round.

1- The current Surgeon General works as a part of the Trump Administration. Sylvia Trent-Adams is a highly educated woman, but I can't say for sure what her stance on climate change is. The previous Surgeon General, Dr. Vivek Murthy, was open to discussion on the impacts of climate change on public health and even warned of potential illness and death.[1]. Donald Trump had him removed, and though there is not evidence linking this decision to his climate change stance, it may be part of it.

Donald Trump is a climate change denialist. I don't believe he would have a Surgeon General within his staff that believes in climate change, and therefore, I don't think a label would arrive in the first place.

2- People believe that climate change, can hurt America [2] (second graphic, header: Most people think that climate change will harm Americans, but they don’t think it will happen to them.) , but they don't think that climate change can hurt them, if that makes sense (same graphic) [2]. 31% of Americans don't support stricter CO2 emmissions laws, around 50% don't believe that global warming will harm America (first three graphics) [2] .

Therefore, I come to the conclusion that even if there were a Surgeon General warning, it would not be heeded. Americans don't care enough about climate change, or simply don't believe in it at all.

[1] http://www.newsweek.com...
[2] https://www.nytimes.com...
ilovejews7

Pro

Since the announcement of the surgeon general warning in 1964, there has been 8 million fewer tobacco related american deaths. So one can argue that it successfully created awareness which decreased tobacco sales. So one can infer that such a warning may create awareness for climate change, as well decrease the sale of carbon emitting products. If a hypothetical warning advocates mass transportation and walking--while informing consumers to sparingly purchase gasoline and red meat products--then it may be effective at mitigating carbon emissions.

Excuse my unedited grammar with bad sentence structure
here is an example below:

If a hypothetical warning advocates mass transportation and walking--while informing consumers to sparingly purchase gasoline and red meat products--then it may be effective at mitigating carbon emissions.
Posted by grandma-complex 1 year ago
grandma-complex
Sorry for the random AWOL!! Schoolwork got intense