Think.Deeper
Truth_seeker

Would people believe Christianity solely on facts?

Truth_seeker

Think.Deeper

Con

If someone came to you and proposed an idea and said that if you do this and that,
then these are the benifits you will get. An example is working out. If you stick to
it you will eventually benefit. If someone proposed a product or service and it didn't turn out the way they said it would they would be called on it. Their integrity and the
validity of the product or service would would be questioned. Most people that accept
christianity as their belief have done so because they were raised that way, their
emotions were stirred up or they were subtly intimidated by fear to accept. If you took
the teachings of Jesus where it is said ask anything in my name and it will be done and
you were a sincere person who really wanted to follow Jesus and it didn't happen then
should we question that statement or the validity of the whole doctrine?

My question is how many people would actually become a christian solely based on
facts presented? Facts given, we think about it without intimidation or emotions and
logically come to a conclusion that this is true like we do with alot of other things in life.
Truth_seeker

Pro

First of all, people always come up to you, propose ideas, and guarantee benefits. God's Word is truth and God promises to keep his Word. I for one was raised in the church, but i didn't trust in God (proving your belief because i was raised that way wrong). As God spoke to me, he revealed to me the salvation which comes through Jesus. It's not emotions, it's a pure revelation of who God is and what he wants in a person's life.

" it is said ask anything in my name and it will be done and
should we question that statement or the validity of the whole doctrine?"

We should 1st question the validity of the whole request as it may not be in line with God's will.

There are tons of examples i can give of atheists who saw the evidence and converted to Christianity (1). Next round, i will explain why Christianity itself can be factually approached.

1. http://www.awakeandamazed.com...
Think.Deeper

Con

Hello Truth Seeker. Thank you for joining in the debate. You seem sincere
which is good. I am not against the true creator. I have respect for him
because he is powerful and is amazing. I am fed up with the results that
have come to fruition because of people taking the bible and other religious
ideas and making life difficult and confusing to others especially me. I
was raised in church. I studied the bible around 8 hours a day when I was
younger. I debated other christians and non christians. I street preached.
I gave to the poor and many other of the things that christians do. I was
sincere. I was searching for the truth and the end result is that there is
only a few beneficial ideas in all that. Actually it is more detrimental than it
is beneficial to apply those teachings. 1 example is telling a child that they
are a sinner and going to go to hell unless they accept Jesus. How much
phsycological damage can be done to a kid if they hear that.

So lets take an example:

Pretend you are a person that has never heard about Jesus or God and someone
comes to you and says I have something that I would like to share with you and
you say ok. They say:

5000 years ago a man was created from the dirt. His wife was created from his rib.
They both ate of a fruit because of a talking snake deceived them and they died.
Now all of us are in the path of his wrath and will burn in a place called hell forever.
But if we accept that God had a child with a virgin and he did miracles and died and
rose from the dead and we accept him into our heart he will give us a spirit called
the holy spirit to live inside of us and when you die you will go to a place called heaven.
And also a man named Jesus loves you.

Logically this whole idea sounds crazy. It sounds like a superstitious mythological story
and people are not used to the idea that a man loves them.

There are debates on youtube by scholars on both sides. People who are very well versed
and have been to colleges and will blow your mind on what they know.

Logically it is difficult to live today and believe in the ideas of ancient cultures. If you want
to leave out all the contradictions and difficult passages and just be a good person and
respect a creator I think all of us probably could get along but if you say that the bible is
Gods inspired word, inerrant and exactly what he wants man to know then there is going
to be disagreement.

My original question was would people believe christianity solely on facts. My answer to that
question is there are facts, but disagreement on how to interpret those facts on both sides
related to archeaology, documents, eye witness, interpretation, etc..

I dont' want to discourage anyone from searching for truth or have a humble appreciation
for something that they believe God has done for someone and if God did have a son I would
respect him but for me the evidence is not convincing.

Keep an open mind, a humble heart and stand up for what you believe to be true.

Round 2?
Truth_seeker

Pro

Works do not make you a believer, only faith in God does.

Rebuttals:

"Actually it is more detrimental than it is beneficial to apply those teachings. 1 example is telling a child that they are a sinner and going to go to hell unless they accept Jesus. How much phsycological damage can be done to a kid if they hear that."

It's only psychologically damaging if you approach it the wrong way. But "Psychologically damaging" is a very subjective term. Is telling someone the truth even though they're offended psychologically damaging? What about teaching a child that God doesn't exist? I can attribute anything to "psychologically damaging" behavior. Do you have studies showing that the Bible is as you claim?

"Logically this whole idea sounds crazy. It sounds like a superstitious mythological story and people are not used to the idea that a man loves them."

It's only crazy in your mind (It's your opinion).

"My original question was would people believe christianity solely on facts. My answer to that
related to archeaology, documents, eye witness, interpretation, etc.."

My position is that people simply refuse to put any value in interpretation when in reality, you can come to a pretty logical conclusion. For example, we can come to the same conclusion that Jesus is the Jewish Messiah simply by looking at it in light of the Old Testament. No assumptions in God are necessarily needed there.
Think.Deeper

Con

Think.Deeper forfeited this round.
Truth_seeker

Pro

I win this debate, vote for me :)
Posted by WileyC1949 2 years ago
WileyC1949
Con, you assume as fact that the stories of the Bible are literally true and that is the basis of Christianity. Sorry, but that is incorrect. First the vast majority of Christians do NOT view the Bible as literal truth, and secondly the basis of Christianity are the words of CHRIST.... not whether or not there was a "talking snake".
Posted by Astal3 2 years ago
Astal3
Christianity has no basis in fact. But you fail to take into account free will which allows people to make their own facts. Even in science facts are only credible until someone can shake the foundation of it. And religion is based on hope. Back when most religions were created life was not a walk in the park and religion provided their only escape. Only hope. So if you could prove Christianity to be a scientific faith then yes people would buy into it based on fact. But that belief already exists they are called athiests. But people can buy into any faith based on fact. In the form of hope. Hope is an extremely powerful product based on psychologies scientific basis. Or facts you can call it. The pipe works both ways when it comes to faith and science.
Posted by JasperFrancisShickadance 2 years ago
JasperFrancisShickadance
@Wylted And there are people who live their lives without considering having a foundation, faith, or hope. I mean 'faith' not as religion, but I mean it as a word for 'something you believe in with strong intentions AND hope' (the verb/noun).
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
People will always buy hope. There are people who actually believe that buying extends will make their penis bigger.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Think.DeeperTruth_seekerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture