Lej
milkman1218

Would something that detects a change in gear changes be considered a sensor?

Lej
Started: 4/8/2012 Category: Technology

Lej

Pro

My friend and I are in a simple argument about sensors. He owns a motorcycle, that currently does not tell him what gear he is in. He wants to add a device (Which I'd call a sensor, and he wouldn't) to his shift lever (The thing you pull up or down with your foot to select 1 gear up, or 1 gear down).

He plans to put 2 push buttons (clickers), that essentially count which gear he's in. These buttons are mounted so that when the shift lever is pulled up or down, one of the button is "clicked" and sends a signal to a circuit board to calculate and light up numbers (depending on which way the shift lever is pulled). He thinks is device is NOT a sensor, and I am trying to tell him it is.

Google defines a sensor as:
A device that detects or measures a physical property and records, indicates, or otherwise responds to it.

I'm using round one as a description to the argument, and the introduction to my side of the argument.

I hope for a good debate with my fellow friend!
milkman1218

Con

im simply saying that the sensors found anywhere simply work of measuring differences in different forms of impulses (infrared, laser, o2 levels, etc.) rather manual change. in my contraption it would work off of a click system that would be manually hit by the shift lever up click would be gear up number and down click would be gear down number and because its a manual click its not considered a "sensor" in the terms of most actual

it doesn't work of electrical impulses and changes in those impulses primarily it works of a manual clicker that then decides through a circuit board whether the gear number should go up or down
Lej

Pro

In my arguments rebuttal:
"im simply saying that the sensors found anywhere simply work of measuring differences in different forms of impulses (infrared, laser, o2 levels, etc.) rather manual change."

Dictionary.com defines 'impulse' as: "An impelling force; an impetus."

Which in this case, would be a foot, hitting a shift lever, also hitting a clicker.

"because its a manual click its not considered a "sensor" in the terms of most actual"

Sources for a manual click not being considered a sensor?

Also, we aren't talking about the "most actual", or "common" sensors. It may not be common, but it's still a sensor.
There isn't a "manual click" in your explanation for this device. The only thing that is "manual" would be your foot shifting a shift lever. Your "clickers" are present to detect a change in position of the shift lever.

"it doesn't work of electrical impulses"
Neither does a pressure sensor, oxygen sensor, or heat sensor. These all detect changes in various methods, depending on the situation. (In your case, a pressure sensor, or "click" when a certain point of the shift lever is reached.)

"manual clicker"

As I stated earlier, the clicker is not manual. It only is activated, or pressed, once the shift lever has passed a certain point.
milkman1218

Con

ok disregard the dictionary definition of a sensor thats not what im trying to debate what im trying to debate is that in the context of sensors that are used all over the world my system does not work off the same principles. . . yes it can be said to be a type of sensor but in the context of how sensors in the real world actually work its not the same at all . . . it uses a manual click system that punches in an electrical code to change a number either up or down depending on the click . . it doesn't send out any electronic waves to register change in an environment it isn't waiting constantly to receive information at all times it only registers when the click is "clicked" it doesn't have any insane registry for change in space or heat or anything like that its just a simple click either up or down that changes the number on an lcd display either up or down in respect to the click yes there is a circuit board but that's not part of the mechanism necessarily
Lej

Pro

"yes it can be said to be a type of sensor but in the context of how sensors in the real world actually work its not the same at all"
Con has basically proven my point of that their system contains a sensor.

"it uses a manual click"
In round 2 I explain how this is not a manual click.

"it doesn't send out any electronic waves to register change in an environment it isn't waiting constantly to receive information at all times it only registers when the click is 'clicked'"
Neither do any of the other sensors I mentioned in round 2. Also, you disproved your own point by saying "it isn't waiting constantly to receive information", even though a your clicker is positioned on the motorcycle to receive information that the shift lever has moved at any time.

"its just a simple click either up or down that changes the number on an lcd display either up or down in respect to the click "
This whole system is only activated once it has sensed a change in the shift lever position. You are essentially creating your own sensor.

I have enjoyed this debate, and I urge you to vote pro due to cons misconception of what a sensor really is.
milkman1218

Con

ok let me just say this . . . im not trying to debate the definition of the sensor

im simply debating the idea that my contraption would be considered a sensor mechanism similar to sensors that can be found anywhere else in the world ie vehicles electronics pretty much everything

could u actually call my idea a sensor driven mechanism in context to all those other sensors found out there disregarding the dictionary definition
Posted by milkman1218 4 years ago
milkman1218
im simply saying that the sensors found anywhere simply work of measuring differences in different forms of impulses (infrared, laser, o2 levels, etc.) rather manual change. in my contraption it would work off of a click system that would be manually hit by the shift lever up click would be gear up number and down click would be gear down number and because its a manual click its not considered a "sensor" in the terms of most actual sensors everywhere
Vote Placed by OldHippyLiberal 4 years ago
OldHippyLiberal
Lejmilkman1218Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro is correct, con doesn't understand idea of a sensor. Con had struggling sentence structures, and used zero sources.
Vote Placed by Travniki 4 years ago
Travniki
Lejmilkman1218Tied
Reasons for voting decision: So the resolution seemed to be "Cons sensor is different than the majority of sensors on the market" and he proved it to me by showing how his is unique in the way it functions (manual click system)