jamesNYY
TheNamesFizzy

Would the U.S win a non-nuclear war with China (Russia does not get involved)?

TheNamesFizzy

jamesNYY

Pro

The United States would be able to defeat China in a military campaign. China has an inferior military and is at a geographical and cultural disadvantage.

Rules

Round 1 is for opening statments
TheNamesFizzy

Con

China, all they have to do stop buying up our debt, and the U.S. would go bankrupt.

I accept this debate.
jamesNYY

Pro

jamesNYY forfeited this round.
TheNamesFizzy

Con

C1: they would be outnumbered by USA's western alliances

USA would be supported by many other nations. Virtually nobody of significant capability would support China. Every nation appreciates that if china gained world dominance, life would become even more oppressive than it is with the USA as number one superpower. Simply a case of better the devil you know, than the devil you don't know. China could not be allowed to defeat the USA, because if they can defeat the supposed strongest superpower, then every other nation's security is doomed.

China would be crushed by the alliance of the USA and the rest of the world. Very few nations would want China to dominate the world, because they know full well how oppressive their regime is. The world simply would not tolerate this and would go to war with China in support of the USA. Sadly this scenario could ultimately lead to nuclear war.

Any signs of significant rising tensions with China and the USA and you will have Japan and Germany re-arming, along with other nations as part of the western alliance against China. China would become geopolitically isolated and a strategic sitting duck for the rest of the world. China is a big country, but its all in one geographic region, so it's really one big target. It's in every other nations interest to form an alliance with the USA, even Russia could benefit from that.

C2: According too SIPRI Yearbook 2013, United States military expenditures are the largest in the world as well as the largest defense budget in the world. In fiscal year 2010, the Department of Defense had a base budget of $533.8 billion. An additional $130.0 billion was requested for "Overseas Contingency Operations" in the War on Terrorism, and over the course of the year, an additional $33 billion in supplemental spending was added to Overseas Contingency Operations funding. Outside of direct Department of Defense spending, the U.S. spends another $218"262 billion each year on other defense-related programs, such as Veterans Affairs, Homeland Security, nuclear weapons maintenance, and the State Department.
By service, $225.2 billion was allocated for the Army, $171.7 billion for the Navy and Marine Corps, $160.5 billion for the Air Force and $106.4 billion for defense-wide spending. By function, $154.2 billion was requested for personnel, $283.3 billion for operations and maintenance, $140.1 billion for procurement, $79.1 billion for research and development, $23.9 billion for military construction, and $3.1 billion for family housing.
In fiscal year 2009, major defense programs also saw continued funding. $4.1 billion was requested for the next generation fighter, F-22 Raptor, which was to roll out an additional twenty planes for FY 2009. $6.7 billion was requested for the F-35 Lightning II, which is still in development. Sixteen planes will be built as part of the funding. The Future Combat System program is expected to see $3.6 billion for its development. A total of $12.3 billion was requested for missile defense, which includes Patriot CAP, PAC-3 and SBIRS-High. In his Fiscal Year 2011 budget, President Obama has proposed a 4% increase in Department of Defense spending, followed by a 9% decrease in FY 2012, with funding remaining level in subsequent years. China has many more citizens, but the quality of the United States military beats quantity.

Since my opponent forfeited last round there is nothing to do a rebuttal on.
jamesNYY

Pro

jamesNYY forfeited this round.
TheNamesFizzy

Con

Extend my arguments
jamesNYY

Pro

jamesNYY forfeited this round.
TheNamesFizzy

Con

Extend my arguments once more. Three major reasons the vote is to the negative is first

1. USA would be supported by many other nations. Virtually nobody of significant capability would support China.
2. United States military expenditures are the largest in the world as well as the largest defense budget in the world.
3. No arguments were made by the affirmative besides opening comment.

With that I urge a vote in the negative.
Posted by TheNamesFizzy 3 years ago
TheNamesFizzy
It will not let me post my last round material for some reason. The jist of it though is

Posted by wrichcirw 3 years ago
wrichcirw
lol, my bad...NON-nuclear. =)

Even worse, then. The US can incapacitate anyone in a non-nuclear capacity, even Russia.
Posted by wrichcirw 3 years ago
wrichcirw
Debated this before:

http://www.debate.org...

Although what I'm about to say may change in as little as five years from now, anyone thinking that China has a credible second strike capability against the US is not thinking realistically. They have the potential now, but not the capability. More than likely five years from now they will have the bona fide capability.
Posted by ararmer1919 3 years ago
ararmer1919
In a heart beat. And if cons best argument is going to be debt then I suggest he just forfeit the remaining rounds.
Posted by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
no way USA would be shattered to ashes if they go war with China.
Posted by Oshamoshamesha_Jones 3 years ago
Oshamoshamesha_Jones
Obviously if China and the United State go to war the U.S. won't pay China back in debt if they ask for it.
Posted by saxman 3 years ago
saxman
China has the largest standing army in the world. I believe though, that the US would pull through. We have a very high sense of nationalism. I believe that in wartime, Americans would form a temporary society of utopia. America has won a lot of non nuclear wars before
Posted by jamesNYY 3 years ago
jamesNYY
ill change it now
Posted by STALIN 3 years ago
STALIN
I will accept tomorrow if this challenge is still up. I recommend that Pro changes the debating time per rounds to 72 hours.
Vote Placed by Jay-D 3 years ago
Jay-D
jamesNYYTheNamesFizzyTied
Reasons for voting decision: I'm undecided on S&G, no sources were used, Pro made no arguments. So it's 4-0 to Con.