Would the existence of God hinder Humanity's freedom?

First round = Acceptance / Second round = Arguments (Cases) / Third round = Rebuttal / Fourth round = Defense.
I will take the stance that God's existence would greatly hinder mankind's freedom.

hirxeth forfeited this round.

Would the existance of God hinder humanity's freedom? I believe in God and feel pretty free, so no. As reality stands, we are free to choose God, choose nothing, or even envent something else that suits our liking and fitswith how we choose to view the world.

An Atheist can choose to not believe in God. An Agnostic can say that they are not sure. A theist can say that they believe. One person chooses to serve God through spirituality or religion. Some choose to not serve any god. Reality is right in front of our face declaring that we are free to do and choose anything.

Most of the world has chosen to believe in a creator. There are 2.4 billion Christians and 1.7 billion Muslims. That is nearly 3/4 of the world in and of just these two religions. Both claim they serve the "God of Abraham". Thus, including Jews, who claim "The God of Abraham", 3/4 of the world believes in the specific "God of Abraham". Interestingly enough, all 3 worship in completely different ways than the other 2. Within Islam there are many sects. Within Christianity there are many sects. This shows that not everyone has to worship God in the exact same manner. Muslims worship by praying facing Mecca five times a day. Many sects of Protestant Christianity worship "under grace" and the "free gift of salvation." Some denominations choose to be "works driven". Many Christians do not attend any service of any kind. This is proof of just how free we are.

So, let's say the Abrahamic God exists as a certainty. If this be 100% true, then our freedom here in this present time shows our freedom to do and choose anything, whether we agree with Him, serve Him, or even care at all.

hirxeth forfeited this round.

The Bible literally depicts a picture if freedom. Notice that the nations known for true freedom are Christianised nations and were once for all practical reasoning were fully Christian.

Freedom In Christ

Galatians 5:1 “For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to the yoke of slavery.”

2 Corinthians 3:17 “Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.”

Galatians 2:4 “…our freedom that we have in Christ Jesus…”

John 8:36 “So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.”

Romans 8:2 “For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.”

The Calling To Freedom

Galatians 5:13 “For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.”

Freedom From Sin

Acts 10:43 “To Him all the prophets bear witness that everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins through His name.”

Romans 6:6-7 “We know that our old self was crucified with Him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. For one who has died has been set free from sin.”

1 Corinthians 10:13b “God is faithful, and He will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation He will also provide a way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.”

Freedom From Fear

Proverbs 1:33 “But whoever listens to me will dwell secure and will be at ease, without dread of disaster.”

Romans 8:15 “For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, ‘Abba! Father!’”

2 Timothy 1:7 “For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.”

Psalm 56:4 “In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me?”

Other Freedom Scriptures

John 8:32 “And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

Luke: 4:18-19 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because He has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”

1 Peter 2:16-17 “Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servants of God. Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor.”

2 Corinthians 1:8-10 “For we do not want you to be ignorant, brothers, of the affliction we experienced in Asia. For we were so utterly burdened beyond our strength that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt that we had received the sentence of death. But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead. He delivered us from such a deadly peril, and He will deliver us. On Him we have set our hope that he will deliver us again.”

Hebrews 2:14-15 “Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, He Himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death He might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery.”

Psalm 91:14-15 “Because he holds fast to Me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows My name. When he calls to Me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him.”

Colossians 1:22 “He has now reconciled in His body of flesh by His death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach (free from sin/unblemished) before Him.”

Psalm 118:5 “Out of my distress I called on the Lord; the Lord answered me and set me free.”

hirxeth forfeited this round.

FDR prayer. A prayer from one of America's forefathers.

America had grounded itself under the principles of Christianity. Even as late as the 1960's , over 90% of the American population claimed to be Christian. Evenstill today nearly 80% of Americans label themselves as Christian.

America fought through many trials in its history, overcoming slavery, giving equal rights to African Americans, and giving equal rights to women.

Martin Luther King thought that if anywhere all men could be free, it was America.

(Martin Luther King)

"I have Been to the Mountaintop"

Years later that mountaintop was reached. Whitney Houston, an African American, with a giant grin on her face, finished her song that ends with the line,"And the land of the free."

In 2009 Barack Obama was sworn in as the first African American President of the United States.

Why did Martin Luther King think that it was possible in America. Why did he hold America to the gold standard? Who did he beckon? He beckoned Christianity. He quoted the Bill of Rights. He quoted Christ as his battlecry. He demanded its conscience rise above and give what God Himself had demanded.

"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery."

(Galatians 5:1)

"But the Jerusalem that is above is free, and she is our mother."

(Galations 4:26)

"Therefore, brothers and sisters, we are not children of the slave, but of the free."

(Galations 4:31)

In 1920 women were given the right to vote.

What does this have to do with God?

One has to view reality through a lens of reality. There are wicked,unworthy white people. There are wicked, unworthy men. Everywhere there is wickedness. But what we must focus on is the light that is Christ.

In the Civil War there was a battle that primarily had a focus on ending slavery. What one must consider is who actually fought this war. The power over liberty was not in the black man's hands. This was not a battle between blacks and whites. This was a battle between white people, whites against whites, right against wrong.

The same goes for women's sufferage. This was not a power women could give themselves. This was a power held in the hands of men. In the end it was men vs men, right vs wrong, liberty vs injustice.

What kept rearing its "ugly head" within the conscience of America? It was Christ. Who is this Jesus Christ who transcends history, who changes the hearts of men, who demanded freedom and love for all of mankind?

Jesus Christ-

"In everything, then, do to others as you would have them do to you. For this is the essence of the Law."

(Matthew 7:12)

Jesus Christ-

"The second is equally important: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' No other commandment is greater than this."

(Mark 12:31)

Jesus Christ-

"But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."

(Matthew 5:44)

“Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom."

(2 Corinthians 3:17)

“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because He has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor."

Luke 4:18-19)

“Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servants of God. Honor everyone."

(1 Peter 2:16)

“Out of my distress I called on the Lord; the Lord answered me and set me free."

(Psalm 118:5)

"So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed."

(John 8:36)
Posted by Thiest_1998 6 months ago
God wouldn't hinder because when God created us he gave us the opportunity to choose from wrong and right so no He doesn't hinder freedom.
Posted by hirxeth 6 months ago
God as a creator. hindrance as an obstruction.
Posted by TheRussian 6 months ago
Yes, a definition of "god" and "hindrance" in context of this debate would be very helpful.
Posted by MagicAintReal 6 months ago
Define god...
Vote Placed by random_noob 6 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: ff