EllisJSims
Rezamee

Would the world be a better place without religion?

Rezamee

EllisJSims

Pro

In my opinion, the world would a better place to live in without religions. First of all, none of us know what happened when the world was created. I'm nonreligious. Secondly, only dead people know what it's like to be dead. Some say you go to heaven or hell, some say you're just gone. And lastly, almost all wars are over religion. Pretty much civil wars and some revolutions are the only ones that aren't over religions.
Rezamee

Con

A world without charities for the poor and mental stability for the mentally unstable sounds like a fun place, yes? Religion is important to the world and world history for many reasons, even though I am agnostic, I believe religion has played key parts in our society. Wether you like it or not, Europe and western civilization would be very different without Christianity. When the Roman Empire fell in Western Europe, the remaining kingdoms shared one thing in common, their belief in the Holy Trinity. This belief has held Christendom together from invaders from the south... Islam a medieval threat to Christianity and Europe's culture; nevertheless, Christendom held its ground and kept its culture intact. This lead to a chain of events allowing nation-states such as Spain, France, and Great Britain to emerge, and with this rise of Western Europe came the colonies of the Americas, culminating into the legendary nation of the United States of America (I am sorry for bias). The very nation you grew up in. I could go on with a history lesson but this is ONE example of religions importance to the world at a certain section of the halls of history.

Not only that, but religion provides a safe way out of insanity for mentally unstable people. I know this because I have a dad that seemed insane when he was younger, but ever since he became religious, his attitude changed, and he switched from anger and stress to calm and just.

Also charities/aid organisations such as Red Cross wouldn't exist without religion, and most charities receive most of their income from churches. So unless you want to say "Screw you poor b***ards!" we need religious communities to keep donating what they can to the needy. I could go one, but I feel I got a point or two through.

Now you state almost ALL wars were started by religion? WW2 was started by religion? The War of 1812? Or how about Italy's wars with Ethiopia, was that a religous war as well? No, your claim that almost ALL wars were started because of religion is false. Most deadly wars are either resource wars or political wars.. NOT religious wars. You state that the dead know what being dead is like, how are you on your computer? Are you some kind of ghost? The world was created when an asteroid began to gather more asteroids creating a larger and larger celestial body known as Earth. Comets began to hit the planet leading to a surplus of water, which lead to a primeval soup of amino acids, lighting struck it creating the first single celled organisms. This lead to life as we know it, there you happy?
http://www.guidestar.org...
EllisJSims

Pro

EllisJSims forfeited this round.
Rezamee

Con

I extend.
EllisJSims

Pro

EllisJSims forfeited this round.
Rezamee

Con

Pro has conceded, vote Con!
Posted by WillRiley 1 year ago
WillRiley
War of Independence, War of 1812, WWI, WW2, Korean War, Vietnam War, Gulf Wars, ect.
Posted by germanninja17 1 year ago
germanninja17
Here's my problem with the Instigator's claim. This is a hypothetical debate revolving on the assumption that a major part of people's past, present, and future lives has just been erased. Religion in general is a touchy subject, being that the term is so broad. Some people nowadays have adopted the idea that religion and worshiping a god are in stark contrast to one another. I'd like to think I have no opinion in a debate like this but I do. Whether or not there is a god (or many gods for that matter), religion has helped shape the ideas of morality and humanity we have today. When you are born into this world, you don't have a natural instinct of what is right and what is wrong. You have to be taught by someone. Throughout most, if not all religions, there is a strong sense of what is morally correct. Theology aside, religion has shaped the characters of even the most staunch atheists. It's questionable where these morals came from, yes, but, the widespread following of religion leads most people to do the right thing. Most people have at least SOME morality. Take religion away, and our ideas of morality are drastically altered. So while I do believe that particular types of religious people can cause conflict and problems, religion, historically, has not been without it's positive effects on society.
Posted by 2Shay 1 year ago
2Shay
Hope and faith are import in some peoples lives. They need it to deal with hardships and loses of loved ones. Beliefs of a higher power offers hope and faith so in that respect having religion in is good. However, when religion is fought because someone doesn't agree with what you believe in, that is when it becomes a war. In Most of all the wars are caused because of religion. If people would not let others beliefs interfere with their life the world would be better off. However, people have not evolved enough to just let it go. From my own life experiences those who are religious are very judgmental and have done many illegal things. I believe there is a god, but I do not believe in religion. Religion is the route of all evil.
Posted by Tarath 1 year ago
Tarath
Rezamee nice response in round 1. I agree with most of what you say. True the majority of wars is caused from the human's desire to have more or to simply be on top. Sometimes the last drop was the difference of religion (the crusades) or difference in race (WW2). Whatever the reason for war it is not because a religion (unless there is one I don't know of) for they all were made for two reasons, to explain the unknown and to help keep order within the masses.
On the other hand we are quite past the need to explain the unknown with gods and myths. As for the governing power it doesn't seem to work so well now, for people tend to chose what they like from their religion and follow only those particular ideas.
I think that it is time for us to stop thinking of ourselves as part of this nationality, religion, or ethnicity but rather to unite as a human race. Weather we remove all religion or create a new one that will suit our now different needs is a choice we as a collective organism should make.
On a side point the starting argument about charity (in all its different aspects) shouldn't be governed by religion but rather from morale. And while in the past, morale was part of a religion, now with so many atheists, agnostics, etc. that is not the case, religion and morale are two separate entities within us. So on this venue, no we do not need religion. On the other hand religion does bring peace to the mind like very few other things.
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
The World is a great place without religion. That is why people from mostly islamic contrys go to the non religious Europe......But unfortuantly do not lieve their religion behind.
Posted by Amica36 1 year ago
Amica36
Rezamee appears to be defending only one religion: Christianity. I think EllisJSims meant ALL religions should be banned. I think that religion in itself is not evil and rather teaches man to behave better. For example, Christianity teaches forgiveness. Islam teaches social equality so that there is no difference in given respect to people of economic, ethnic, gender or any other way. Buddhism might teach about being humble and seeking truth inward, and so forth. Smart people will look at the times the scriptures were revealed and will understand that certain religious teachings were within historical context. For example, slavery was a common practice in every human society, regardless which culture is in question. However, modern times are different and some practices are not necessary to apply today. One can still be a pious Christian, Pagan, Jew, Muslim without having slaves today. This holds true for many other things as there is clear distinction in religions between rules/mandatory behaviors and those things that a person can/cannot do but does not have to. For example Islam allows men to marry up to four women. But there is no sin whether the man marries just one or four.
Wars may have been fought over religious views officially but we know that underlying issues have often been of a more materialistic nature and religions just seem to be the best tools to provoke people into feeling threatened.
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Midnight1131
EllisJSimsRezameeTied