HariboLover
illluminations

Would you live in a world without beauty and makeup?

illluminations

HariboLover

Pro

Yes, I would be very happy to live in a world without beauty and makeup. Some of you may argue with me but my reason for you is that I think that without all these artificial concealers the world would accept you for you. This might not make sense but what I'm trying to say is that many people wear makeup to hide their flaws. If everyone had some kind of flaw, wouldn't everyone have something in common? Sometimes some families do not have money or the advantage. For example, makeup varies, and so does the price. It is becoming more and more expensive to buy such products without the right amount of wages each month. We have other bills to pay; food, day-to-day clothing, shelter. In other words, some people just spend their money for makeup like water. Countless beauty products sit on their vanity-table. Now I am no professional on makeup but I do know that some of you spend your money/use makeup wisely. Good for you. But that's not the point, have you ever thought about what you would spend your money on if you weren't buying consecutive amounts of makeup. Furthermore, some families or individuals do not have the advantage, this could be religiously or morally.

What I really want is say is that society and the world would be VERY different without beauty and makeup. These are just a few ideas at the top of my head. What do you think?
illluminations

Con

First we must clear up some definitions. Beauty is defined as "a combination of qualities, such as shape, color, or form, that pleases the aesthetic senses, especially the sight" (http://dictionary.reference.com...). Whereas make up is defined as " cosmetics such as lipstick or powder applied to the face, used to enhance or alter the appearance" (https://www.google.ca...).
Imagine a world without beauty. How horrid and vague it all would seem. However, humans have a biological predisposition to seek out beauty, moreover, beauty is a subjective construct of relative perception. Beauty is not only physical, but auditory and involves olfaction. The brains medial orbital cortex, part of the brains reward and pleasure center, is an invariably common area in the brain responsible for our ability to feel or see the beauty in art (and in the world) or in music (http://www.cnn.com...). To banish beauty would be a sort of "de-aestheticfying" of everyones brain, but still, this doesn't mean that our capacity to perceive beauty would disappear, as the brain is an adaptive apparatus that could develop a new way to perceive beauty. Furthermore, beauty is a subjective quality, therefore what is pleasant for one may not be pleasant for the other, thus the ability to ban beauty would be tremendously unlikely.
Secondly, why would anyone want to ban beauty? As I said before, beauty just isn't a human quality, it is found in art, music, nature, and anywhere if one gazes their eyes hard enough. Beauty provides fascination, fulfillment, and feeling in life. Beauty completely enthralls the observer. If we all became vehement philistines then the world would be a lot more gloomy and without enjoyment.
Now for a point on make-up. Whomever chooses to use make-up, it's simply their choice. We should not regulate and control cosmetics because they do not prove to be a threat to society, nor does make-up make everyone more attractive, nor is make-up also used for the purpose of embellishing ones features. In theater, ah the beauty of theater, actors used make up to nuance the character and give them a particular look, for example. Applying make-up doesn't automatically make one good looking.
HariboLover

Pro

HariboLover forfeited this round.
illluminations

Con

I am not in favor of a vague and dreary world. My previous arguments still stand.
HariboLover

Pro

HariboLover forfeited this round.
illluminations

Con

Arguments extend forth into the conclusion of this debate.
Posted by Beyoncebetwice 2 years ago
Beyoncebetwice
I wish we lived in a world without makeup. That would be awesome. I'm interested to see where this debate goes.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
HariboLoverillluminationsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture